Navigator Nov 8 - 27 B2B Miami to Miami

s2000drvr

Isabel Peron I think. But she was sort of a dictator, so I don't know if that counts.

Good going, Rachel!! You are so right! You would think that Rich and I would have had that answer right after being in SA.

I do have another trivia: What is the second most dreaded thing behind nuclear warfare that was in a 2003 survey?

Rachel, I am counting on you to get this right!

Today we arrived in Costa Maya. The seas have been calm, little wind.

Dined in Compass Rose last night and it was fantastic. Rich and I both had the Beijing style duck with fried rice. The cheese plate we had was our dessert.

We decided on the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins for our tour. Our bus was loaded and we drove about an hour to the ruins. The guide was exceptional explaining all about the Mayans. The weather was just perfect, not too hot and refreshing in the shade. The guide explained that 12-21-12 is the end of the Mayan calendar and that 12-22-12 marks the beginning of a new era.

We saw two howler monkeys way up in the trees and we saw a gray fox from a distance.

We really enjoyed this tour.

Off to the block party that will be happening at 6p.

Hi s2000drvr

Glad you enjoyed the Mayan ruins tour! We are thinking about that for a shore excursion in the future.

Did you leave in the a.m.? The reason I ask is that the last time we were in Costa Maya (6 years ago) we didn't do any excursions (and they weren't "included" way back then) so we rented a golf cart and just went to the village on our own, and enjoyed the beach. Am wondering IF we would have time to see the ruins, and then still have time to go to the village. Thoughts?

Enjoy the block party! It's such fun. :)

Hi s2000drvr

Glad you enjoyed the Mayan ruins tour! We are thinking about that for a shore excursion in the future.

Did you leave in the a.m.? The reason I ask is that the last time we were in Costa Maya (6 years ago) we didn't do any excursions (and they weren't "included" way back then) so we rented a golf cart and just went to the village on our own, and enjoyed the beach. Am wondering IF we would have time to see the ruins, and then still have time to go to the village. Thoughts?

Enjoy the block party! It's such fun. :)

Yes, Sheltieluv, we left about 9:30 or so. Our tour was so good, even though I was not looking that forward to it. So glad that Rich said it would be really good. He was right (this time!!).

Got back by 2p. You would definitely have time to go to the village. The ship sailed tonight around 4:30.

The block party was good. We met our delightful neighbors.

Today we are in Santo Tomas, Guatemala, sunny skies, a few puffy clouds.

We toured the Countryside and Rio Dulce by land. I would not recommend this tour unless you like to just sit as there is very little walking. We were in a bus for 1 1/2 hours, at the fort for 20 minutes, in a boat for a while longer, then the 1 1/2 hours back on the bus. The countryside is very lush. Saw people doing their chores like laundry in big tubs, children playing. The fort was a very nice place as the people there were picnicking and swimming in the Rio Dulce.

Rio Dulce is the largest lake in the Caribbean. We toured around it for a bit and saw a few different types of birds, turtle. It was a very relaxing tour in that respect. But we like to be more active.

We again dined in Compass Rose and the food is excellent, along with the service. Wines were good.

Tomorrow is cave tubing. Not sure about this, but am told it will be lots of fun. We will see.

Today we are in Santo Tomas, Guatemala, sunny skies, a few puffy clouds.

We toured the Countryside and Rio Dulce by land. I would not recommend this tour unless you like to just sit as there is very little walking. We were in a bus for 1 1/2 hours, at the fort for 20 minutes, in a boat for a while longer, then the 1 1/2 hours back on the bus. The countryside is very lush. Saw people doing their chores like laundry in big tubs, children playing. The fort was a very nice place as the people there were picnicking and swimming in the Rio Dulce.

Rio Dulce is the largest lake in the Caribbean. We toured around it for a bit and saw a few different types of birds, turtle. It was a very relaxing tour in that respect. But we like to be more active.

We again dined in Compass Rose and the food is excellent, along with the service. Wines were good.

Tomorrow is cave tubing. Not sure about this, but am told it will be lots of fun. We will see.

Thanks so much for your reports, I love travelling vicariously. We've done this route twice, and loved it both times.

Just BTW, Rio Dulce is a river. If I have this right, it's Lake Izabal that is the lake, and the river flows out of it. We've twice done the Rio Dulce river trip and it is amazingly beautiful down the river.

Thanks so much for your reports, I love travelling vicariously. We've done this route twice, and loved it both times.

Just BTW, Rio Dulce is a river. If I have this right, it's Lake Izabal that is the lake, and the river flows out of it. We've twice done the Rio Dulce river trip and it is amazingly beautiful down the river.

You are right. It is Lake Izabal. Thanks for pointing that out!!

s2000drvr,

I understand that you have Willie Aames as your Cruise Director. We will be boarding the Navigator on December 18 and was wondering if Willie will still be CD.

Would you please ask him, and please tell him "hello" from Bill in California (the Mickey Mouse collector.) I was on his first Panama Canal cruise on the Navigator in 2010.

s2000drvr--

Thanks so much for your shore exursion reports! I have wanted to try the cave-tubing thing, so I'll be interested to see if you liked it (or not!).....;)

Did you hear from any other pax which exursions they enjoyed in Guatemala? (We'd love to see Tikal, but could never afford the exursion, unfortunately.) Sounds like Rio Dulce wasn't great; so I'm curious if you heard positive things about any of the other offerings.

Thanks again for sharing!

s2000drvr--

Did you hear from any other pax which exursions they enjoyed in Guatemala? (We'd love to see Tikal, but could never afford the exursion, unfortunately.) Sounds like Rio Dulce wasn't great; so I'm curious if you heard positive things about any of the other offerings.

In case you're interested, the one we took was the Rio Dulce river trip called, "Visit to Q'eqchi indigenous river community". It's a Regent Choice, all-day excursion. It consisted of a fairly long, fast boatride up the coast to the mouth of the river, a leisurely boat ride up the river from Linvingston, including a visit to the Mayan children's school, then a return to Livingston for a nice lunch and dance performance. then the fast boat ride back. The river is very beautiful, and Livingston is a unique town. We loved this trip, which is why we took it twice.

Hi Wendy

Thank you for that information. As a retired teacher, I'd love to see the school. Would it be out of line to bring some supplies (pencils, pens, things like that) or would that not be appropriate?

Having first-hand knowledge of excursions helps make informed decisions.

Thanks again!

We didn't, and it wasn't an issue. But there's a private operator who has been running tours doing precisely this for years. Google "Go with Gus Guatemala" and you'll see what I mean.

So I don't think it would be out of line at all. But be aware that if you're there in December, the kids are mostly gone on holidays, except for those who work on school maintenance to help cover their fees.

The only proviso about this tour is that the boat ride coming and going to Livingston is fast and windy. So take a scarf to protect your hair. Or a hat with a strap. And a windbreaker. (In fact it was cold when we last did this--my husband wore his winter coat and everybody was jealous. It was December.)

We are on a b2b in Jan/feb and will be interested in what is arranged for you for "turn around" day in Miami.

Just checked to see if there was a tour planned for our turn around day. Nothing is planned for us. Maybe there are not enough passengers doing this b2b. We do have to get off the ship, go through immigration, then get back on.

Yesterday we were in Belize and cave tubing was our tour. I was not really looking forward to this. But in the end, it was terrific and lots of fun.

This is a tender port and we noticed that RCCL was out there with us. They used a very large cat to transport us to the pier. It went very quickly, less than 20 minutes. We boarded a big old school bus for the 1 1/4 hour ride to the place. It was a pleasant enough ride, but Rich and I do not fit into the small seats on the bus very well. Our knees were jammed into the seat in front of us making it a bit uncomfortable. When we got there, we noticed that RCCL had regular coaches.

We were quickly suited up with life jackets, miner's helmets, and a very large tube. We walked along stone trails, at times were slippery, other times crumbly. We crossed the river twice and the current was moving at a good clip.

The tube ride into the caves was fantastic. It was so pretty in places, there was even a small waterfall.

I am so glad we had chosen this adventure. It was a bit out of the box for me, and well worth the trek down to the river.

Lunch was provided, buffet style and it included jerk chicken, hamburgers, potato salad, pasta salad, vinaigrette cukes, spaghetti with a meat sauce, rice and beans, and more. I did not find any desserts. But there was fruit as well on the buffet. Oh, the plantains were so good, that is a must try!

We did not play trivia, but stayed to listen.

Trivia buffs, here is your question for today. (Note to Rachael, you may know this answer!) How many muscles are there in a cat's ear?

The weather was perfect, puffy clouds, sunny, and warm, our kind of weather.

s2000drvr--

Thanks so much for your shore exursion reports! I have wanted to try the cave-tubing thing, so I'll be interested to see if you liked it (or not!).....;)

Thanks again for sharing!

Sheltieluv, I finally found the couple that did the Tikal by air tour. They really enjoyed it. They said it was a prop plane. This same couple did the Lamanai Mayan Ruins tour in Belize which they also enjoyed.

Archived