Whats your "must buy" item from the Bahamas?

Kajunswty

Ended up with a 6 pack of goombay punch to bring home and the pineapple jam. Saved a few dollars by buying them at the grocery store. Oh and my "does this shirt make me look drunk" from señor frogs :) Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Ended up with a 6 pack of goombay punch to bring home and the pineapple jam. Saved a few dollars by buying them at the grocery store. Oh and my "does this shirt make me look drunk" from señor frogs :) Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Awesome! Where'd you end up getting the Goombay Punch & the Jam?

Awesome! Where'd you end up getting the Goombay Punch & the Jam?

I bought both along Bay street, the jam from the grocery store and the punch from the Bacardi store. I don't know why I didn't think to buy both at the grocery but the jam was over $1 cheaper there than other places I saw it.

I bought both along Bay street, the jam from the grocery store and the punch from the Bacardi store. I don't know why I didn't think to buy both at the grocery but the jam was over $1 cheaper there than other places I saw it.

Thank you for the detailed info!! Now I'll know exactly where to go!

If you're going to Paradise Island, stop in at the Atlantis Beach Tower. They have a small outlet store there. Last January, I bought large boxed scented bath soaps-Atlantis' brand- as gifts for friends and relatives. They were marked down from $8 to $2 or $3.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless you see someone weaving the straw basket or handcarving something, I wouldn't buy it because it is most likely made in China and relabelled BAHAMAS,

They do have some beautiful Christmas ornaments in the Tourism Building made out of Conch shells...

That is exactly what I was going to recommend, We purchased the carved angel at the craft area at pier. I saved the business card and it reads Sterling Ann Creations--if you do a search it comes up as still current.

It is the shape of an angel with the natural orangy rough side, and other polished opalescent pink side with carving.

• 8 months later...
That is exactly what I was going to recommend, We purchased the carved angel at the craft area at pier. I saved the business card and it reads Sterling Ann Creations--if you do a search it comes up as still current.

It is the shape of an angel with the natural orangy rough side, and other polished opalescent pink side with carving.

I totally agree with Sterling Ann Creations! We were there last week (8/7/13) and I got back off the ship with an hour to spare so that I could run back and get some of her awesome stuff!

Front

ry%3D400

Back

ry%3D400

Edited by smalltownmagirl

I totally agree with Sterling Ann Creations! We were there last week (8/7/13) and I got back off the ship with an hour to spare so that I could run back and get some of her awesome stuff!

Front

ry%3D400

Back

ry%3D400

So pretty, I admire mine at the holidays and hang as center point of lighted garland wreath. Wish they had the turtle when i was there. they make great gifts for house and pet sitters. You shop like me- running back in last hour for something. We did that also for soda there and Pick up a few cans of Bahamas Goombay Punch.

This has been one of my favorite threads to read. I made a list of some of the ideas you all suggested, which will make my souvenir shopping so much easier in Nassau. I enjoyed the photos as well. Thank you all and keep them coming. We have 18 more days till we sail.

Thanks for posting the pics of the food. I miss conch fritters and beans and rice! We may wind up back on Paradise Island (Comfort Suites with access to the Atlantis waterpark) in 2014 for more. Also, I'll have to get those Christmas ornaments and Goombay Punch.

We've used timeshare/vacation club options to go to Nassau and Paradise Island in 2010, 2012, and 2013 and always go at least twice during the week to Goldies and Twin Brothers.

Edited by Vettebuf

There is a strong stout beer called stoutman made in Freeport. DH liked it so We brought back a 6 pack (about $2.50 a bottle in the stores). I liked the Bahamian beer Sands too.

The Tortuga mango rum [made in grand cayman and buy at the tortuga rum cake store right across from the little grocery store ] is really delicious and we also always buy a bottle or two (about $20). On our cruise last week there, we found out that you can bring back 2 bottles of alcohol per person if 2 of the 4 are bought in the Bahamas, so next time we are bringing home more. Interesting taste and can't buy it in US

Theres a bahamas mango rum made by Old Nassau and Ricardo, but they are hard to find and we like the tortuga better for the taste and smoothness.

Other items we've brought back:

conch on ice in a cooler (when we are flying)

Presidente butter from the grocery store (I love this butter but can't find it at home although you can find Presidente cheeses)

go the bank and get a roll of new Bahamian pennies- they have star fish on them and kids are really excited when you give them one, nickels are cool too because they have a wavy edge

I buy Lancôme there also because it is from France not USA.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were in Nassau may of 2013. I did a ton of research on these boards for souvenirs. What I read was that not many cruisers were fond of the straw market. I found this lovely place called Bahama art and handicraft. All items are made by local artists and crafters. It is in a restored Bahamian house on Shirley street. They have strawork, shellwork, paintings, jewlery and woodcraft to name a few. I purchased hand painted christmas ornaments and a handmade Junkaboo ornament made out of straw for a remembrance of my trip .You can google them or they do have a facebook page as well. I wanted to support local artists .So if you want authentic craft this is the place to go.