Dune buggy tour - should we be worried about insurance and having an accident?

bender031177

Some folks in our travel group are considering the Dune Buggy tour of the island but I have read horror stories of people having car accidents in Mexico and ending up at the police station, missing their ship.

Is it any better to be on a tour in a dune buggy than renting a vehicle? Are those types of vehicles under different laws? I assume traveling behind a guide would cut down on the chance of having an accident.

What are your thoughts on the possible dangers of touring the island in a dune buggy? Any specific concerns or examples of things going wrong?

Thanks

I think given you are traveling in a "pack" it's a little safer...no wrong turns to muck things up. And you have a guide there to help if there is a problem. Nothings guaranteed though. Not sure what travel insurance would cover for an accident in this instance. I think it may only cover medical resulting from an injury in an accident, but could be very wrong. If you are drinking, that may negate the insurance coverage.

considering there was a fatality in the last 24 hours, on a dune buggy, in Cozumel, maybe all should reconsider some other type of ride in Cozumel, until all the information is known... re: Orlando Couple killed in Dune buggy accident in Cozumel, while cruising on the Liberty of the Seas (i believe it is the Liberty; you can search Orlando WESH-2 News for the story of the Orlando couple who was on their cruise and was in a fatal dune buggy accident).....

We have signed up for a dune buggy tour and I emailed the company if they had any further information and did it involve them. Also asked about insurance. Here's their reply.

Good Afternoon,

I have received information that sadly two people were involved in a crash in Cozumel and there were two fatalities. We are awaiting further details but have been advised that there was alcohol involved.

In our 10 years of service in Cozumel we have never had a problem with our tours or a similar type of accident and we take good care to keep you safe at all times so that this could not happen.

We heard the couple had rented a car, but this is early in the investigation and we are hearing many conflicting reports.

You have full insurance with a deductible as you would with any car rental.

Many thanks for your enquiry. We are working to learn more about this tragic but very rare situation.

Does anyone know about insurance if you are driving a dune buggy? Should you (can you) buy insurance in case of an accident?

Here's info from the company we plan to use.

The only deductible the Clients would have to pay in the event of an accident that was their fault is up to $ 1,500.00 U.S. + Tax on their own vehicle damages. This means if you have an accident and it is your fault you would be liable for a maximum amount of $1500.00. This is very much a standard rental car insurance agreement and we would handle the claim for you.

Damages to third parties or persons, other vehicles and properties are insured up to $ 1,000,000.00 pesos with Cero Deductible. (Approx 77,000usd)

Medical expenses and legal assistance have No Deductible at all.

• 1 month later...
What companies are the both of you going to use? We are booked with Shore Excursioneer.

We booked through Island Marketing. Have used them before with good luck. I think they use a local outfit, not sure if I remember who.

• 2 months later...

Archived