*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

OMG - y'all check out the prices for the Navigator for May 25th!! If we weren't cruising to Alaska at that time, I would so be booking!! I was looking at the Military discount, so don't know if it is the same without, but none the less a great deal!! With my discount, balcony $820+ JS $1100+, prices for 2 people.

Wow, great, thanks for the heads up!

havent been here for ages

good to see its still going strong

does voyager still dock there?

Voyager has been long gone.

We had the Mariner last year.

Those two are now in the far east.

This November we brought the Navigator over from Italy and Spain.

She will be here at least through spring of 2015.

We LOVED the "sanitize" guy!! :D

I wish I had taken his picture. :(

Would you believe ? A guest actually complained to the WJ manager about his behavior. When the WJ manager said he is doing his job the guest went to GS and complained. He wanted the "stupid antics stopped right now." So, can you please everybody? Nope, there is always someone who just will not let things be.

We sailed NV 10 weeks in the past year and had no problems at all. The crew was friendly and helpful and very respectful of everyone we observed. Some guests were not so respectful of crew or fellow guests. Oh well, looking forward to a better year. :)

No, we can't see the ship, but we can hear the announcements most mornings and evenings when we have a north wind.

Mary

That would make me unspeakably happy... It makes DS & I happy enough when we stand there at pier 21 and can hear the announcements -- but to hear them from our house would be amazing. I swear I will not breath easy until I am living there. Someday!! :)

-gina-

Hi Dylan

No, we can't see the ship, but we can hear the announcements most mornings and evenings when we have a north wind.

Mary

That would make me unspeakably happy... It makes DS & I happy enough when we stand there at pier 21 and can hear the announcements -- but to hear them from our house would be amazing. I swear I will not breath easy until I am living there. Someday!! :)

-gina-

My husband says I'm like Pavlov's Dog when we're in Galveston and there's a ship in port. I hear the three bell sound, and my eyes glaze over...:rolleyes:

My husband says I'm like Pavlov's Dog when we're in Galveston and there's a ship in port. I hear the three bell sound, and my eyes glaze over...:rolleyes:

Being here can be a curse or a blessing:)

Did not plan to book a cruise out of here on the last day of 2013:eek:

But when it only takes 5 minutes (or less) to go to the dock and the price is too good to pass up, well:D:D:D

Lots of negative stuff!

1. State of Texas taxing booze...and all the Galveston haters are in their glory.

2. Galveston looking at jacking up the parking tax. Just curious if this is in response to the popularity of the off site parking lots providing better service than the city sponsored lots...or simple greed for more money.

I, for one, will not allow these few small changes to impact our decision to sail from Galveston....two more booked for this year!!!!

Looking forward to Navigator after the dry dock!

Lots of negative stuff!

1. State of Texas taxing booze...and all the Galveston haters are in their glory.

2. Galveston looking at jacking up the parking tax. Just curious if this is in response to the popularity of the off site parking lots providing better service than the city sponsored lots...or simple greed for more money.

I, for one, will not allow these few small changes to impact our decision to sail from Galveston....two more booked for this year!!!!

Looking forward to Navigator after the dry dock!

Another tax....oh well. The thing that impacts my decision most (after the ship) is the treatment at the terminal. There is a vast improvement this year over years past. We only sailed Mariner once mainly because of the terminal folks. If they keep their act together we will have a banner year. :)

Taxing interstate commerce is an interesting subject. If you pass thru Texas with an unbroken seal can Texas really tax it? Next they will stop traffic on the interstate and search for milk, Pepsi, and sugar. Guard the women and children. :eek:

The City is not raising a parking tax, but wants the parking lot owners to increase their participation in the costs of operating the port.

The port chargers a certain amount per parking space to access the port. That is where the increase will be.

It can be good or bad. Parking lot owners make a lot of money and the port needs more revenue to maintain and improve.

We will see where this all plays out.

I believe Galveston comes under fire because others are jealous of our proximity to the port:)

I wonder if people who ski complain about the cost and distance from the airport to the ski area:rolleyes:

...I believe Galveston comes under fire because others are jealous of our proximity to the port:)

I wonder if people who ski complain about the cost and distance from the airport to the ski area:rolleyes:

The distance from the airport is not the issue. Port Canaveral is about the same distance from MCO as Galveston is from HOU. However, for fly-in cruisers, Port Canaveral is far superior to Galveston. There are mutiple rental car agencies open every day of the week with shuttles to the port. There are multiple hotels available at reasonable prices with no 2 day stay requirement on the weekend.

My impression is that Port Canaveral welcomes and promotes the cruise business, whereas Galveston just tolerates it.

The distance from the airport is not the issue. Port Canaveral is about the same distance from MCO as Galveston is from HOU. However, for fly-in cruisers, Port Canaveral is far superior to Galveston. There are mutiple rental car agencies open every day of the week with shuttles to the port. There are multiple hotels available at reasonable prices with no 2 day stay requirement on the weekend.

My impression is that Port Canaveral welcomes and promotes the cruise business, whereas Galveston just tolerates it.

Well said Bob

"Fees" is simply a nicer way, and more deceptive way, to say TAX.

Money spent that is not for a goods or a service is a tax, call it a handling charge, a surcharge, a fee, or whatever other word someone wants to apply to it...it is a tax.

I do not know anything about the liquor law, other than what I saw posted here, but am guessing it might apply only to Texas Residents. Otherwise, you run into Federal laws regarding interstate commerce.

This is going to be a nightmare on debarkation day unless the state finds a way to work with Royal to pre=pay the tax on a sea pass. Otherwise, we will create the number system for disembarkation, the self-assist disembarkation and the booze assist disembarkation.

Does anybody know what time Navigator is leaving Galveston for dry dock today? My first thought was that she would leave early, but they may load supplies here in Galveston for work en route.

She is to leave sometime after 6pm. We have 2 of the crew members at our home this afternoon; they have to be aboard by 6.

Can't compare Port Canaveral to Galveston.

The cruise industry is not the major business in Galveston, However Galveston is a destination point. Most hotels, Inns and B&B's at Texas destinations require a 2 night stay over weekends.

Furthermore, we are an island. The cost of building here and insurance is very high. There are also restrictions on where and how high to build.

The seawall area is already ruined by commercial property that was built in the 50's, 60's and 70's. We don't need anymore hotels.

I agree their is a problem with car rentals. However, franchises may operate however they see fit and apparently it does not pay to have one open in Galveston on Sunday. I do see it as a logistic nightmare due to the arrival and departure of ships and the number of vehicles required.

No one seems to realize the port gets no money from the City and is struggling to make improvements. Some of us want and feel the need for a container port and expand commercial shipping; but East enders do not want the potential noise and have successfully stopped any proposed expansion.

Texasmunk: a service is provided, a fee is paid. Ships pay a fee to dock. Do you consider that a tax? Oh well, not worth the discussion.

For those that don't like Galveston, fine, go somewhere else. Every City, everywhere has problems.

We just get tired of being slammed all the time. It is a great place with lots to do, great people, architecture and history. We are just not a place to drive in the morning, board a ship, leave the next week back out in the afternoon.

Off my soap box now. Going to the port to pick up our cabin steward and friend to spend the afternoon with us.

We are so close in our point of view!

Yes, any monies collected by a governing body is, bottom line, a tax.

Necessary, but still a form of taxation.

I concur with just about every darn thing you say!!!!

PS..We love the island, not for ships, but because the folks on the island are so darn friendly, there is a ton to do and it is just plain a great destination

She is to leave sometime after 6pm. We have 2 of the crew members at our home this afternoon; they have to be aboard by 6.

For those that don't like Galveston, fine, go somewhere else. Every City, everywhere has problems.

We just get tired of being slammed all the time. It is a great place with lots to do, great people, architecture and history. We are just not a place to drive in the morning, board a ship, leave the next week back out in the afternoon.

Off my soap box now. Going to the port to pick up our cabin steward and friend to spend the afternoon with us.