Day bag/purse??

lori450

Last year I purchased a security handbag and it really saved the day in the Paris metro when a gypsy unsuccessfully tried to pickpocket us. Unfortunately, the bag is so heavy (even empty) that it gave me a back ache and ultimately, my son had to carry it during the trip ( he had it on the metro). 2 questions: is thievery/pickpocking present in China? 2. If a secutiry bag is needed, has anyone solved the weight issue and found something secure, light and utilitarian? Thanks!!

Hi, I had no problems on a three-week guided trip to China and Tibet in May this year. That said, our guide advised us to take precautions with our belongings while in crowds and to not leave bags unattended or on the backs of chairs in restaurants, etc.

Here is a link to the PacSafe bag I have used on several trips, including China, when I wanted a secure daybag rather than a purse/handbag, and it has served me well. It is small and light, just 11 ounces, and big enough for what I need in a day's outing: glasses, camera, phone, tissues, wipes, money, credit card and ID, sunscreen, etc. (I can even get a water bottle in the back compartment.) I use it as a cross-body bag, and I have hooked the strap on the leg of the chair when I am in a restaurant. It's not big enough to hold a sweater or jacket or umbrella -- just the basics -- but since it's so small, I've never had to check it in a museum.

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/venturesafe-200-compact-travel-bag/152323?productid=10125651

Last year I purchased a security handbag and it really saved the day in the Paris metro when a gypsy unsuccessfully tried to pickpocket us. Unfortunately, the bag is so heavy (even empty) that it gave me a back ache and ultimately, my son had to carry it during the trip ( he had it on the metro). 2 questions: is thievery/pickpocking present in China? 2. If a secutiry bag is needed, has anyone solved the weight issue and found something secure, light and utilitarian? Thanks!!

Never felt unsafe but still take precautions...I think the Chinese are a little more scared of their punishments if they are caught stealing than the Europeans.

Thank you. I had the pacsafe City bag and it weighed 1 lbs 2oz empty. I used it as a cross shoulder bag, but as I said.... ouch. Thanks for the link to the lighter one. It is a great bag, just too heavy.

Thanks Lanikeekee, that's a relief too.

Thank you. I had the pacsafe City bag and it weighed 1 lbs 2oz empty. I used it as a cross shoulder bag, but as I said.... ouch. Thanks for the link to the lighter one. It is a great bag, just too heavy.

Thanks Lanikeekee, that's a relief too.

Your welcome Lori...and I amswered your question about the hotel on the other thread:)

Forgot to ask Lori when are you leaving and what cruise are you on....just curious:)

Not a cruise this time. We're cruising this Christmas but China is a land tour. We leave 6/11 - 6/30/13. I'm very excited. I have been planning it for a while now. It's so hard when you've never been somewhere before. We're doing a private tour (just the two of us) starting in Beijing and ending in Shanghai.

Any and ALL tips or suggestions are very welcome.

I'm happy to help with caribbean cruises, Italy, France or England. I don't purport to be an expert, just have been there and had wonderful experiences.

Not a cruise this time. We're cruising this Christmas but China is a land tour. We leave 6/11 - 6/30/13. I'm very excited. I have been planning it for a while now. It's so hard when you've never been somewhere before. We're doing a private tour (just the two of us) starting in Beijing and ending in Shanghai.

I'm happy to help with caribbean cruises, Italy, France or England. I don't purport to be an expert, just have been there and had wonderful experiences.

Hi Lori...sounds great..I am sure you will have a wonderful time...our next cruise is New Zealand...we have done the Mediteranean...but who knows what will come next:D

Try and contact Ashland she did a land tour of China just recently I am sure she could help with questions:D

Hi, I had no problems on a three-week guided trip to China and Tibet in May this year. That said, our guide advised us to take precautions with our belongings while in crowds and to not leave bags unattended or on the backs of chairs in restaurants, etc.

Here is a link to the PacSafe bag I have used on several trips, including China, when I wanted a secure daybag rather than a purse/handbag, and it has served me well. It is small and light, just 11 ounces, and big enough for what I need in a day's outing: glasses, camera, phone, tissues, wipes, money, credit card and ID, sunscreen, etc. (I can even get a water bottle in the back compartment.) I use it as a cross-body bag, and I have hooked the strap on the leg of the chair when I am in a restaurant. It's not big enough to hold a sweater or jacket or umbrella -- just the basics -- but since it's so small, I've never had to check it in a museum.

http://www.ebags.com/product/pacsafe/venturesafe-200-compact-travel-bag/152323?productid=10125651

I bought one of these yesterday (a Pacsafe Metrosafe 100 Anti-theft shoulder bag) What a perfect size and great security features. Thanks for the lead.

I'm confused. I followed the link and bought the one you recommended, but now I look back at the post and see you mentioned the pacsafe 100. The link was to the 200. Which one did you love? (I ordered the 200, but if you liked the 100 I can return the 200 and get the 100). Thanks!!

Lori just returned from a 12 day land tour then a 16 night Diamond Princess cruise. The 12 day land tour was 7 days Beijing and Xian and 5 days Bangkok. We used China Odyessy for the China cities. They did a wonderful job and vans, guides, hotels, food/cultural shows, and attractions shown to us were all exactly as I had requested and timely and well presented. I was extremely well pleased with our guide Stephen in Beijing and LuLu in Xi an and my travel agent Susan Su was attentive and easy to work with (and very patient and willing to please!).

A complex trip that went extremely well. They work all over China so it makes it easy to go from city to city. I loved Beijing and Xi an both. Later saw some other Chinese cities but on a crowded bus trip from the cruise line -- not so happy an experience after the wonderful service of China Odyssey! Have a great trip.

I used an Ameribag backsaver bag (medium and the teardrop shape). It was excellent. Everything fits in it's well organized interior and there was room for a bottle of water (or 2), papers, camera, ereader,phone, first aid kit and lots of TP and wipes!!(obsessed and took way too many). The wide single strap makes it easy to carry across back, or front or over shoulder and under arm. Pulling it forward while still on body allows you to get things in and out easily or to sit with it in your lap. I did not have a backache with the bag.

I would also suggest that you look at travel vests. Spreads the weight, very secure, easy to go through security because the whole item goes through. We found inexpensive fishing vests (less than $25) at Bass Pro Shop and they have worked great through 3 major trips (Galapagos Islands, South America around Horn cruise and land tour, and now 30 days in Asia). I sometimes used one then the next day the other. Very washable. I do not overheat in the vest especially if I leave it open not fully zipped -- and overheating is a problem for me. I have liked this vest for touring -- don't have to pack it up everyday just hang in the closet and grab it on the way out the door.

Never felt unsafe but still take precautions...I think the Chinese are a little more scared of their punishments if they are caught stealing than the Europeans.

That may well be true, but it still pays to be careful, as you say.

My DH had the strap to his movie camera slashed in Xi'an. The knife cut his arm a little bit, too. Fortunately, he was also holding the camera by its body, so he didn't lose it.

DH was so annoyed that, when he turned around and saw the thief was only small, he chased him and shouted at him. Our guide wanted to call the police, but DH said no, he'd already dealt with it. He didn't realise until afterwards that his arm was cut and that it could have been dangerous to take on the thief. (We cleaned his arm very thoroughly and it didn't get infected.)

That may well be true, but it still pays to be careful, as you say.

My DH had the strap to his movie camera slashed in Xi'an. The knife cut his arm a little bit, too. Fortunately, he was also holding the camera by its body, so he didn't lose it.

DH was so annoyed that, when he turned around and saw the thief was only small, he chased him and shouted at him. Our guide wanted to call the police, but DH said no, he'd already dealt with it. He didn't realise until afterwards that his arm was cut and that it could have been dangerous to take on the thief. (We cleaned his arm very thoroughly and it didn't get infected.)

Wow, scary. Was this very long ago?

I used an Ameribag backsaver bag (medium and the teardrop shape). It was excellent. Everything fits in it's well organized interior and there was room for a bottle of water (or 2), papers, camera, ereader,phone, first aid kit and lots of TP and wipes!!(obsessed and took way too many). The wide single strap makes it easy to carry across back, or front or over shoulder and under arm. Pulling it forward while still on body allows you to get things in and out easily or to sit with it in your lap. I did not have a backache with the bag.

I would also suggest that you look at travel vests. Spreads the weight, very secure, easy to go through security because the whole item goes through. We found inexpensive fishing vests (less than $25) at Bass Pro Shop and they have worked great through 3 major trips (Galapagos Islands, South America around Horn cruise and land tour, and now 30 days in Asia). I sometimes used one then the next day the other. Very washable. I do not overheat in the vest especially if I leave it open not fully zipped -- and overheating is a problem for me. I have liked this vest for touring -- don't have to pack it up everyday just hang in the closet and grab it on the way out the door.

I have never thought of travel vests. What an intriguing idea. My son has a fishing vest in his closet, I think I will find it tonight and investigate the idea. did you put your passport and money in it? What types of things did you put in it?

I'm confused. I followed the link and bought the one you recommended, but now I look back at the post and see you mentioned the pacsafe 100. The link was to the 200. Which one did you love? (I ordered the 200, but if you liked the 100 I can return the 200 and get the 100). Thanks!!

Hi, I am the one who posted the link to the Venturesafe 200. That's the one I use and like really well. It looks like the Metrosafe 100 is very similar but smaller. According to the website, both weigh the same, 11 oz. I think the Metrosafe 100 has the new RFID blocking panel for credit cards.

Hi, I am the one who posted the link to the Venturesafe 200. That's the one I use and like really well. It looks like the Metrosafe 100 is very similar but smaller. According to the website, both weigh the same, 11 oz. I think the Metrosafe 100 has the new RFID blocking panel for credit cards.

Thank you! I ordered it and am looking forwarding to trying it out when it arrives.

Archived