A Guessing Game...... What Is Next?

sail7seas

Exactly, what business wants their customers to leave.:confused:

exactly:D my old business life taught me that it was more expensive to get a new customer than to retain and build the existing customers:)

Sure, you want new customers - but you don't want to lose your loyal ones:)

Sorry to read this thread, we were looking forward to cappucino after dinner - at no extra charge. Celebrity also charges for the same thing, which is one thing we really liked about HAL. Oh well, we're still going on a cruise - so I'm not complaining, not one bit :)

That has been my impression of the dinning room cappuccino...pale imitation of the real stuff. Still, it was often better than the dinning room regular coffee.

That is absolutely true. We regularly get cappuccino from Explorations and we also enjoy the after dinner ones in the MDR, but they are nowhere near as good. They are better than the coffee though, and just seems a nice way to end the meal. If they were to charge, I would certainly expect that it would be better quality. The cappuccino we had in the Pinnacle was much better I noticed.

I am sorry to hear about this, because the lack of nickel and diming has kept us coming back to HAL. This is what turned us off of Princess.

I have a future cruise deposit to use up first, but then I think I want to try Celebrity. I realize I will get nickel and dimed there too, but they seem to have a really good product. People on the Celebrity forum seem very happy with it.

I have a future cruise deposit to use up first, but then I think I want to try Celebrity. I realize I will get nickel and dimed there too, but they seem to have a really good product. People on the Celebrity forum seem very happy with it.

Celebrity is another option for us (besides Oceania). We have friends that cruise Celebrity and they love it (they have also cruise HAL).

Happy Cruising!

Celebrity is another option for us (besides Oceania). We have friends that cruise Celebrity and they love it (they have also cruise HAL).

Happy Cruising!

You will be nickel and dimed on Celebrity too:rolleyes: just a word of warning.:D

Some of HAL's prices are fairer IMO - but that JMHO:D

Happy Cruising!

Just let me say, we're leaving Celebrity for now and cruising on HAL because we don't like the stuff that's been going on with X for the last two years. I guess when one has been cruising with one line for so long, and we see the obvious downfalls of that line, we try and see if the grass is greener or the ocean is bluer on another line. Unfortunately, it's not, although we are hoping our soon to happen Eurodam cruise will be excellent. Cost cutting is going on for every line and the decline in food and service, and in items that were once free and now we pay, is just a part of the cruise experience. If passengers still demand irrationally low prices but still want a "Crystal" experience, it's just not going to happen. If you want all the special touches back, and you want more staff to be hired so the current ones aren't overworked, then expect much higher fares.

Oh, and as a frequent Crystal cruiser, I absolutely hate many of the things that Crystal is changing. For the prices they charge, one should expect that they don't need to change what's been working for many years, but they're doing it, and it's not made a lot of their loyal cruisers happy. For instance, they used to have two welcome aboard parties and two Crystal society parties, with the time dependent on your dining time. Now, there's only one party, smack in the middle of the dinner hour. Many now choose not to go. Another change is only one show time. Used to be that there was an early show and then the same show at 10:45. Now, there's only one. That's only two changes of many that are turning away the "old timers" who loved Crystal. So, every line, regardless of cost, is changing, and many times, not for the better.

Just let me say, we're leaving Celebrity for now and cruising on HAL because we don't like the stuff that's been going on with X for the last two years. I guess when one has been cruising with one line for so long, and we see the obvious downfalls of that line, we try and see if the grass is greener or the ocean is bluer on another line. Unfortunately, it's not, although we are hoping our soon to happen Eurodam cruise will be excellent. Cost cutting is going on for every line and the decline in food and service, and in items that were once free and now we pay, is just a part of the cruise experience. If passengers still demand irrationally low prices but still want a "Crystal" experience, it's just not going to happen. If you want all the special touches back, and you want more staff to be hired so the current ones aren't overworked, then expect much higher fares.

Oh, and as a frequent Crystal cruiser, I absolutely hate many of the things that Crystal is changing. For the prices they charge, one should expect that they don't need to change what's been working for many years, but they're doing it, and it's not made a lot of their loyal cruisers happy. For instance, they used to have two welcome aboard parties and two Crystal society parties, with the time dependent on your dining time. Now, there's only one party, smack in the middle of the dinner hour. Many now choose not to go. Another change is only one show time. Used to be that there was an early show and then the same show at 10:45. Now, there's only one. That's only two changes of many that are turning away the "old timers" who loved Crystal. So, every line, regardless of cost, is changing, and many times, not for the better.

and that is a fact of life! well said indeed. We're heading out on the Westerdam on our 'Never say Never' cruise next Friday - it will be interesting to see how things are. We haven't been on a 'bigger' ship in ages so it will be a real change for us:D I'll report and let you all know:D

and that is a fact of life! well said indeed. We're heading out on the Westerdam on our 'Never say Never' cruise next Friday - it will be interesting to see how things are. We haven't been on a 'bigger' ship in ages so it will be a real change for us:D I'll report and let you all know:D

Sneaky:D:p;), you don't have a countdown clock for that. I say you shouldn't be able to go because of that;). Have a wonderful time. Looking forward to hearing your take on the "big ship" experience. Personally, the Westerdam wasn't my favorite experience but that was in spring of 2011.

Sneaky:D:p;), you don't have a countdown clock for that. I say you shouldn't be able to go because of that;). Have a wonderful time. Looking forward to hearing your take on the "big ship" experience. Personally, the Westerdam wasn't my favorite experience but that was in spring of 2011.

There was no point in doing a countdown clock for this one:eek: I booked very last minute. No planning - no nothing. Just a quick getaway.

It's our Never say Never again cruise - I always say I NEVER do guarantees - I NEVER do 7 day cruises - I have broken all my rules and have snagged a lovely last minute deal which just happened to match DH's vacation.

No sneakiness about it - I'm tearing around to get things done before we go - countdown clock was the least of my worries

if you see a thread called NEVER say Never - you'll know that's me:o

There was no point in doing a countdown clock for this one:eek: I booked very last minute. No planning - no nothing. Just a quick getaway.

It's our Never say Never again cruise - I always say I NEVER do guarantees - I NEVER do 7 day cruises - I have broken all my rules and have snagged a lovely last minute deal which just happened to match DH's vacation.

No sneakiness about it - I'm tearing around to get things done before we go - countdown clock was the least of my worries

Hey, I was just joking in case you did know. Enjoy!

Jacquie,

Congratulations on doing a last minute cruise. I personally think they are great having done a couple in our life. Enjoy - looking forward to your report. Barbara

I love booking last minute. The prices are much cheaper. Why would anyone book a year in advance?

I'm using airline C Card miles for the airfare, so there is no problem booking 2-3 weeks in advance. Of course i put the cruise on hold for 24 hours and book my air.

About the OP Question.... I miss the Dam $ fun, and the 'good' gifts. Whats next??? Not to much left to pick from, how about the cloth towels in the bathrooms? How about the yum yum guy?

I do remember those days. Enjoy your cruise:D

Yeah, I'm not touching this one again. Enjoy the NA!

Thank you both! Almost done work now. You can see I'm having problems concentrating:eek:. Thank goodness I'm pretty much caught up and I'm not getting paid by the completed task today:D.

Our last back-to-back cruise on Maasdam we had the waiters change after 1st cruise, and there were big crew change. New MDR staff could not provide the good service at all, there were not enough utensils to set up the tables, and we suppose to wayt 50-55 minutes before the appetizer were delivered. So weended up eating every day at Pinnacle.

Do I like this about the HAL? NO!

Did I pay USD 399 for the cruise? NO! It was USD 5399 pp.

I have booked again 29 days cruise with HAL, and I do hope that everything will be fine! But now I heard that they try to charge for water, and they do charge for espresso in MDR... Hope to have fresh orange juice at breakfast (is it still there?)

No one can expect premium service for bargain rates, but it's HAL that put themselves in a position that requires those last minute reductions in fare.

True. Bargain rates can not = premium service. I like a good bargain myself but if HA continues to reduce their fares to $399.00 plus 3rd & 4th passengers for $99.00 for a 7 night cruise they have to make money however they can. These low prices basically add up to more work on the crew and less time to be personal with the passengers. Add on costs and cutbacks in quality will continue with this trend. JMHO. Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Our December cruise is selling for quite a bit less than when we booked in May. No more early booking for us until HAL changes its pricing policies.

And I do drink espresso at breakfast, which I hope is still free in the Pinnacle.

I love specialty coffee and have no problem paying for it at the Explorations Cafe. It's really not that expensive.

If they would invest the money into the ships and provide unique (today's standards) service and provide more instead of less, they might keep a niche that wouldn't require the loss of pricing power. There should still be room for a decent size luxury line.

Our last back-to-back cruise on Maasdam we had the waiters change after 1st cruise, and there were big crew change. New MDR staff could not provide the good service at all, there were not enough utensils to set up the tables, and we suppose to wayt 50-55 minutes before the appetizer were delivered. So weended up eating every day at Pinnacle.

I have booked again 29 days cruise with HAL, and I do hope that everything will be fine! But now I heard that they try to charge for water, and they do charge for espresso in MDR... Hope to have fresh orange juice at breakfast (is it still there?)

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! Russia is on our "to do" list. :)

Hey, I was just joking in case you did know. Enjoy!

Oh I knew:p Just wanted to alert you to the Never say Never thread - it will appear in a bout one week by my best guess:p:p worry pas - life is too short:D

You will be nickel and dimed on Celebrity too:rolleyes: just a word of warning.:D

Some of HAL's prices are fairer IMO - but that JMHO:D

Thanks for the warning. The main issue is the amount we spent in return for what we received. If we do end up back on HAL or now Celebrity, we'll probably opt for a lower priced cabin and just deal with things. If we're going to spend a premium amount, then we'll go to premium line. I do appreciate the word of warning. It's always best to know the score. :)

Fresh squeezed oj is still there - we will be on in one week and a couple of days - I will definitely report if I am wrong.

In June we return to your lovely country and so looking forward to it:D

If they would invest the money into the ships and provide unique (today's standards) service and provide more instead of less, they might keep a niche that wouldn't require the loss of pricing power. There should still be room for a decent size luxury line.

I agree. They seem to be turning their backs on those that keep returning year after year. I'd hate to be starting from scratch filling those ships. It's not like there's not a lot of other cruise lines out there.

I know they are in it to make money, but one of these days they're going to be getting $399 per cabin! Not sure how that's going to work out for them. I know things change with time, but for us, we've noticed a huge change between 2009 and 2012. I can't even imagine what cruising on HAL was like years ago.

Archived