Short Time at DeGaulle

Ships R Great

I need advice. I really want a flight from Rome to DC that has a 1hr35min time line to change planes at DeGaulle. Does anyone have info as to being able to do it?

That is a tight change, but it may depend on your airline and the terminal which you arrive at CDG and the terminal which you depart.

If you have the same airline for borh flights and your terminal is the same for arrival and departure, you can make it, unless your arrival flight is late. I would prefer to have 2.5 hours for transfers at that airport.

If your first flight is internal (Rome to CDG) and your second flight is international (CDG to DC), you may have to change terminals, and your chances of making a 1hr35min connection are greatly diminished. Why book flights that you may have to end your cruise worrying about?

As previously said, your chances of flying into and out of the same area, given your schedule, are slim. (Note: most flights will be out of Terminal 2, but Terminal 2 is huge and has several main areas. Likely you'd need to go from Terminal 2F to Terminal 2E. It may look short on paper, but it is a substantial hike, depending where your gate is located. Also, it may appear that you can simply walk across from F to E, but that isn't always possible.

Also keep in mind that at CDG, planes frequently "park" on the tarmac and bus you to a gate -- this take more time, obviously, than simply deplaning at a regular airport gate.

And finally, there is a good chance that you may have to go through security again at CDG to get to your next flight -- another time killer.

That said, the airport has gotten better in recent years in helping you get around more quickly. There are more signs in English, more people available to assist, and more ways to get around. It still is bothersome, because on any given day you cannot count on going the same way from one concourse to another! (I am a planner and I like to know how to get from point to point in advance....) In the last couple of years I've flown through CDG 3 times, from Terminal F to E, and each time have been directed to a different route.

The easiest option is if they bus you to a gate in F, then direct you to take the Navette Bleu (a bus that runs outside) to Terminal E. If you're lucky enough to go this route, you do NOT have to clear security again.

I've made connections as tight as 70 minutes, but I much prefer to have something like 2.5 hours to avoid rushing. Most recently (last week), my flight from Athens to CDG was delayed an hour in taking off. Clearly I'd have missed my onward connecting flight if the connection was as tight as yours.

Previous replies are accurate. We were on a air france flight from lax in September. Had to make a connection to venice at 2d. It took over 2 hours to get to Connecting flight by walking. New section of 2E had just opened which increased the needed time. I would definitely allow 2 hours plus any anticipated delay in arrival. Rome airport is a zoo. Expect chaos and delays. :o

Well, I guess you have made my decision for me. It will be non-srop Rome to DC at an additional cost of $600+ but it will be worth it not to have a disaster waiting to happen changing planes. DH says "whatever you decide" so he'll have to get out the checkbook!

I need advice. I really want a flight from Rome to DC that has a 1hr35min time line to change planes at DeGaulle. Does anyone have info as to being able to do it?

I did this last week on November 3. Left Rome at 11:00 on Air France after a 40 minute delay. We were on plane and ready to depart on a 10:20 am flight but encountered a passenger issue.

We landed at CDG and deplaned outside terminal. We had to take bus to terminal 2F. Hustled thru passport control and then thru security and on to plane that fortunately was delayed 20 minutes to 2 pm and was located in terminal 2E. Signs got us in right direction to that terminal. There were others that were on both flights.

Would have preferred the hour I was supposed to have but fortunately it worked out. This was the second time this has happened to me from Rome to CDG and made it.

Well, I guess you have made my decision for me. It will be non-srop Rome to DC at an additional cost of $600+ but it will be worth it not to have a disaster waiting to happen changing planes. DH says "whatever you decide" so he'll have to get out the checkbook!

Check out which terminals you will be departing from at CDG, 2F to 2E are very doable, before you make your decision.

FYI if you take the flight from Air France FCO to CDG you depart from terminal 1. If you fly back to US it is a different terminal.

Give us a bit more information, and folks here will be of great help.

If the connection is on the same airline, your chances are very good. Airlines only book what will get people on their way. Yes, sometimes stuff happens, but they really do prefer people get on the plane and keep going. If you are on two different airlines, then....

So, tell us airline, times, etc.

Archived