Dragon Boat Festival in China

lori450

I have discovered that we will be in China during the Dragon Boat Festival. Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know where we should go to see it? I understand it is an important event. Thank you!

Hi Lori me again...just realised you will be in China the same time of year as what we where....we where in Shanghai for the festival....strangest thing as they don't race the boats and we saw nothing to even say it was a festival....the only thing was that it was a public holiday...shops where open though...not banks...but lots of people seemed to get married that day...we walked along the Bund and I saw at least ten brides....made for some great photos as some where tradiitional...others where the white bride...then there is the classic wedding dress but in red...red is a very lucky colour for Chinese:)

We did ask the concierge at the hotel if anything was happening and he said no they just have a holiday and enjoy it...:rolleyes::D

Thank you, thank you, thank you. how wonderful!!! The brides are exquisite, and I love the Shanghai photos. My son came over and said his oohs and aahhhs and then tried to translate the signs. Thanks again.

Your welcome...if you look at the Financial side you will see the pearl building...look at the back there is a building that looks likea bottle opener that is the tallest building in Shanghai...the Financial building... the veiw is amazing and it has part of the floor seethrough...a bit scary but you don't have to walk on it...they also have the most amazing toilets in there...I could not stop laughing they have every button on it and have no idea what they did...didn't touch any as I was a bit frightened about what might happen:eek: But did get a photo..very funny as my husband had to resort to a squat toilet earlier...she who waits gets the better deal;):D

Thank you! I have copied this info into my planning folder. The TA says that I have to discuss any changes with the guide when I get there, so I'm compiling a list. If I have to tip the guide to get him to alter the tour, any ideas on how much I should tip?

Qingdao is the best place for the boats during the Dragon Boat Festival.

Every weekend there is practically a parade of brides and grooms in parks and scenic areas throughout Shanghai and especially on The Bund.

Thank you. We will be in Beijing, is Qingdao anywhere near Beijing?

Qingdao is a nice coastal city about 4 1/2 hours from Beijing by high-speed train.

Qingdao was the location of the yacht races for the 2008 Olympics.

But you won't need to go that far.

If you'll be in Beijing for the Dragon Boat Festival, boat races have been held in recent years at Xiadu Park in Yanqing, a suburban district of Beijing.

Your hotel will help you with directions.

Archived