Voyages to Antiquity questions/answers

Ontariotrekker

This will be our first VtoA cruise. We are going for itinerary and ship size. Booked inside cabin as we knew we would not be spending time in there. Hopefully political events will be calm then.

What does company do if it is too "hot" in a country? Gail

If the company believes that any port or area is unsafe they will change the itinerary or take any action they deem necessary to ensure the safety of the passengers, ship and crew. If that happens well before the cruise they will produce an alternative port etc.if they can. Currently Syria is off the itineraries but every traveller should make sure they are aware of the situation in any area they travelling. In Australia the site is Smart Traveller which provides current information on all world destinations.

We would be sailing up the coast of Africa through "Pirate Alley" on the cruise I am contemplating for 2014 Delhi to Cairo) however I have confidence in the company to ensure I will be safe.

Sue

Counting down the days. We just received a change of airflights and they look even better than what we were doing. I hope are passage through the Canal goes well. We were to be on an earlier cruise which was cancelled for the refit so we are combining 2 which still gets the Golden trianble and a bit of Egypt. One can only do so much with time etc. We were to start in singapore but taht would have eliminated Golden Triangle. Got our Indian visa. Wow that was a bit much.

Yes I could see them but no pricing etc. so they are a little obstructed but they seem bigger than the normal ocean views?

Sue

Sue - are you looking at the new deck plans? On the old deck plans they look very large but after March 2013 they seemed to have squeezed 3 in where there were 2 and don't seem so large anymore

Here are the deck plans for when you are looking to go http://us.voyagestoantiquity.com/deck-2013.html

• 2 weeks later...

I will be heading to Bangkok in a couple days to start a month-long V2A trip. The meals included at hotels are identified in my travel documents. They are identical to what is indicated on page 73 of the brochure for the current cruises. That is, breakfast is included daily at all hotels and, in certain places, other meals are also included. You can download the brochure from the V2A website. This is also consistant with what I received on the hotel portion of a trip with them last summer.

When our new airflights were given to us for our trip Golden Triangle to Istanbul, I enquired about meals. In India all of the meals will be provided at hotels or etc. In Istanbul there will only be breakfast. Been to Istanbul before and survived the food so will be able to do so again. So looking forward to this. Now starting to sort out clothing. Just came back from New Orleans and Gulf Shores Al where it was warm so will pack a couple of those things too. This trip cannot get here soon enough

Hi

I was just wondering about the new deck plans as well. We are booked into E819 Lido deck , which is yet to be completed or we could take E529 which looks larger or squarer? Now the funnel that was smoking and shoot out hot ash will it be hitting this deck? Any recommendations, Thanks

I have a question about bottled water. On V2A's website, it says "In addition to the standard cabin features, passengers in Balcony Class (categories A to D) will also enjoy:...Complimentary bottled water;..". On their Sep 10, 2012 press release describing the "Extraordinary Opportunities for Single Travelers", it says: "including "shore excursions with complimentary bottled water". So, it is not clear whether passengers in a non-Balcony double occupancy room will have to pay for their bottled water both on board and for shore excursions. Can some of the prior passengers clarify this point? Thanks,

Clement

A large bottle of water is issued to each cabin upon arrival and a small bottle of water is issued to each pax as you leave the ship for an excursion. All the busses carry extra water for you too.

I never drink the bathroom water although it is potable and the ship will sell you a large bottle of water for $4. You can bring back water/pop onboard with you and get ice from the bar. - Shar

Hi

I was just wondering about the new deck plans as well. We are booked into E819 Lido deck , which is yet to be completed or we could take E529 which looks larger or squarer? Now the funnel that was smoking and shoot out hot ash will it be hitting this deck? Any recommendations, Thanks

Re this - I replied to you re the soot but was jet-lagged and wrong. Depending on the which way the wind is blowing, you may get soot on this deck. It also appears on the chairs/tables on the 6th deck terrace grill area.

Shar

Shar, thanks for the info about water.

We just went to a travel clinic in Montreal, and was advised not to eat salad because they are usually washed with the same bathroom water. You said you did not drink the bathroom water, but do you eat the salad?

Clement

Like Shar, I have been on several other V2A cruises. I think the tap water on the ship is just fine, and I drank it often. It is not particularly cold, but I had my cabin steward keep me supplied with ice. I do always find it interseting that many of the people who avoid the tap water still use the ship's ice to cool their bottled water and in their drinks. My guess is that the tap water and the water used to make ice come from the same source. I had salads every day on the ship and I did not get sick. I, however, do not have salads when I eat on shore or get ice in anything. I think it is on shore in many countries where one needs to be careful. In such countries I stick to fully cooked foods and bottled water.

Archived