Voyages to Antiquity questions/answers

Ontariotrekker

There have been several cruise ships which I have been on that the temperature is so cold in dining room or auditorium that you freeze. Since luggage space for a month is scarce I wondered if I needed to take a special cardigan for it being cold. Thanks in advance. Started gathering medicines and supplies today for our trip. So wanting to go

There have been several cruise ships which I have been on that the temperature is so cold in dining room or auditorium that you freeze. Since luggage space for a month is scarce I wondered if I needed to take a special cardigan for it being cold. Thanks in advance. Started gathering medicines and supplies today for our trip. So wanting to go

I found the dining room cool but not freezing..I always travel with a pashmina, they fold into nothing, so handy on the plan, you can toss over head if a head covedring is needed in a mosque or somewhere or across my knees or around your shoulders if it gets cool. I have a large number now...lovely presents for back home or to keep as a memento of your trip.

Sue

Has anyone heard when Voyages to Antiquity will release their 2014 Mediterranean schedules?

I'm looking to cruise the Black Sea region and I am anxious to see what they will offer in the next season... My vacation time for 2014 is already fully booked.

Hi - they only had up to March 2014 onboard and now on their website so it may be a bit longer for the Med stuff.

They have changed the itinerary for the Black Sea this year from the original one I took - they've dropped Kerch and Sochi and doubled up on the stays in Odessa & Yalta. I found both of the now dropped ports very interesting so it's a shame.

Shar

Hi - they only had up to March 2014 onboard and now on their website so it may be a bit longer for the Med stuff.

They have changed the itinerary for the Black Sea this year from the original one I took - they've dropped Kerch and Sochi and doubled up on the stays in Odessa & Yalta. I found both of the now dropped ports very interesting so it's a shame.

Shar

Thanks Shar, hopefully it won't be too long. It's a shame to hear they've dropped some ports. Are the longer stays in Odessa and Yalta needed for some specific excursion(s)?

I want to compare V2A with Silversea (already has 2014 itineraries out, hint, hint) and Swan Hellenic to see which one fits best.

Thanks Shar, hopefully it won't be too long. It's a shame to hear they've dropped some ports. Are the longer stays in Odessa and Yalta needed for some specific excursion(s)?

I want to compare V2A with Silversea (already has 2014 itineraries out, hint, hint) and Swan Hellenic to see which one fits best.

hi Cruisemom, there is no need to be sad.

Now, you have the rarest opportunity to explore Odessa and the area. You can, for example, take a tour to Danube delta. Danube delta belongs to Ukraine. There is a town, built completely on water, they have canals instead of the streets, two ancient church, all people are old faith believers who wear special clothes and such. They make their own wine. You can taste wine, eat local yummy food, swim in Danube and travel to zero kilometre by a boat (the place where Danube floats to the Black sea).

Or you can go to 18 century park of a breathtaking beauty, called Sofievka. It was built for his wife by a very rich count. There are

lakes, an underground river, which you can tour by boat and more.

Or you can go to Shabo. It's a wine making place. It's a former Swiss- French settlement. Now they have a Culture of wine centre there. You can tour their museum and their cellars and taste their wine. They will show you one of the oldest movies ever made on the planet.

Or you can go to the ancient fortress in Belgorod-Dnestorovsky, built in 12 century. If you are lucky, they will have knights tournaments that day.

Or you can stay in Odessa. In Odessa, and tour the Champagne wine factory, and have the tasting. You can go to an open air WW2 museum, with a real museum, and a church. Or you can go shopping on Privoz - one of the largest markets in Europe. They say that you can buy anything there but an atomic bomb.

You should see this as a wonderful opportunity to explore exiting things, as opposed to port hopping.

I just re-checked the itinerary and realized that it's Sevastopol they've doubled up on which gives you lots of time to take the optional tour to the Khan's Palace.

hi Cruisemom, there is no need to be sad.

Now, you have the rarest opportunity to explore Odessa and the area.

. . . .

You should see this as a wonderful opportunity to explore exiting things, as opposed to port hopping.

That's a good way to look at it. I have seen your many detailed posts on the Ports of Call forum -- I'm sure they will be very useful to me as I start to research the trip. I know a good deal about the Mediterranean ports but not very much about this area.

First I have to decide which cruise!

That's a good way to look at it. I have seen your many detailed posts on the Ports of Call forum -- I'm sure they will be very useful to me as I start to research the trip. I know a good deal about the Mediterranean ports but not very much about this area.

First I have to decide which cruise!

I am sure, cruisemom, that whatever you chose, you will have a great time.

I just signed up for this Nov. 15 trip as a single. I'm in an inside cabin. I would rather have the extra money to spend on the trip than on my sleeping accommodations. I have been dying to go to India and couldn't find anyone to travel with me and decided to bite the bullet and pay for a single cabin.

I understand this itinerary was offered last year. I would love to hear from anyone who was on it. I have so many questions for planning.

I have read reviews and the ship, type of passengers, and lectures sound perfect.

If someone has been on another similar trip to Colombo, Sri Lanka where we end up, I have questions about whether to leave the night before we disembark (we overnight three nights) or what is done with luggage all day since I assume we have to get off the ship. I am making my own travel arrangements.

I am sure I will come up with some more quetions that can't or haven't been answered by the agency.

Thanks.

Cathy

Does anyone know what the Aegean Odyssey is doing between March 2 and 9? The Singapore & Burma cruise finishes on March 2, and the Passage to Sri Lanka & India cruise starts on March 9. Will it on a charter? Or, will it be in dry dock, working on the reconfiguration of the decks?

Apparently it's in drydock working on the cabin changes and hopefully the air con:)

Shar

I hope you are right, and that they will give the ship a full check-up as well.

Now a different question: what is the best way of meeting up with fellow cc members on board?

Informal; collect the food from the buffet (a very small choice of sandwiches, plus a choice of cakes and scones etc.) and they will serve you tea at the table. If you don't mind the 'black bottom', it is nice to sit outside, as the tea is served at the Terrace.

Breakfast, book, morning lecture, lunch, book, afternoon lecture, tea, early evening lecture, book/drink/shower, dinner, music, bed: where did the day go? :confused: It would be nice to have time to just sit and relax (if you can find a comfy chair)!! ;)

Shar, I realised that you are Canadian. The information was for Canadians. I was suggesting that non-Canadians just ignore the comment. :)

Dining in both venues runs from 7-9ish and there is no assigned seating per se. I do know of several people who were able to talk to the MDR maitre'd and get a table set aside for a special event.

I much prefer the terrace for all of my meals since I find the MDR claustrophobic while others onboard for my cruise ate both lunch and dinner there.

Shar

I am one that enjoys the MDR, and yes the timing is flexible. (Of course, if the air con was out, I wouldn't be so eager to dine there, but short of that I enjoy the food and service there.)

On sea days they will usually schedule at least a couple of lectures, which is nice. And at night they may schedule a small musical concert. I haven't been on any cruise with V2A that wasn't pretty port intensive, so I can't answer for what they would do when there are a lot of days at sea.

Breakfast, book, morning lecture, lunch, book, afternoon lecture, tea, early evening lecture, book/drink/shower, dinner, music, bed: where did the day go? :confused: ...

Sounds like they run the ship like a British boarding school.icon7.gif

Sounds like they run the ship like a British boarding school.icon7.gif

Yes certainly a lot of lectures. Never went to boarding school- grammer

school boy !

Do they have any evening entertainment after dinner apart from school?

Our tickets came yesterday and we leave the UK two weeks on Wednesday.

Just swotting up on India.

Kind regards

Tony

I have heard it is rough sea leaving India to Oman. On some ships they batten up the lower windows. Wonder if many on board use the patch. You can get this in the US. Used it to do the Drake Passage and around China. Our sail from Antarctica to Argentina was so rough on the Discovery that the water in the toilet bowl flooded our cabin and all drawers opened as well as the closet doors. Missed all meals that day. How does this ship ride anyway?

Did you get special shots. we will be taking malaria tablets. Already have hepatitis etc.

Librarian

Anti-malarials not particularly needed for the part of India we are going to.

When we disembark in Bombay on the following day we are undertaking a train journey for 8 days-ending up in Delhi.

Had all the required vaccinations.

Kind regards,

Tony

Archived