snorkeling Honolulu

geejay

Okay, I know that snorkeling from the shore isn't the best on Oahu. However I have a spine fracture and know I won't be able to use the ladder on any catamaran or snorkel boat and really want to snorkel.

Does anyone know of a beach that we could go to that has some easy snorkeling? I would rather not have to rent a car but we could if necessary. Or other option would be Maui.

Any suggestions and directions would be greatly appreciated. I'll be so disappointed if I can't snorkel this cruise!

Gloria

I don't know when you are cruising but Sharks Cove on North Shore Oahu has great snorkeling from the beach when it's not high surf. Also, what everyone calls "Turtle Beach" just outside of Haleiwa also has good snorkeling. If it is high surf the cove at Turtle Bay has o.k. snorkeling from the beach. Hanauma Bay has good snorkeling from the beach. And...there are plenty of people snorkeling in Waikiki. There are plenty of shuttles that go to Hanauma if you do not want to rent a car.

Maui is a great option also for snorkeling from the beach. I hope you have a great time. Cherie

That's unfortunate that you're there on a Tuesday; it's interesting to go to Hanauma Bay but there's a lot better snorkelling elsewhere in Hawaii. Will you be renting a car on any of the other islands? When is your cruise? ... knowing that will help with recommendations for which parts of the islands to snorkel at.

If you are willing to rent a car, we often stay at Ko'olina on the west side of Oahu. There are 4 man made lagoons that usually offer good snorkeling. The lagoon by the Beach Villas usually has turtles. If you google KoOlina or even Aulani (the Disney hotel) you can find out more. It is approx a 30 min drive from the airport, when there is no traffic. There is also a small lagoon that you can access from the parking area of paradise cove luau, there are no facilities at this lagoon but there are at the others. You can easily spend the day at the beaches there and have lunch. That's what we plan to do on our Hawaii cruise next year.

Archived