The Carnival is over.....

gliner

Just returned from our latest and last Carnival cruise on the Freedom.

The cruise was very relaxing, but one item has become irksome.

The menu. I can just about tell you what the Carnival menu is if you give me one appitizer. The menu has not changed in YEARS! Would an annual change be too much to ask? The "braised spare ribs" are consistently tough. When I mentioned it to our server, he offered, with a straight face, to get me a PB&J sandwich. Cute, but no.

They could also provide a broader TV selection. This is 2012. The only difference between Carnival's TV lineup and my parents 1978 TV service is that I am not the remote. How about a "basic" cable assortment instead of the constant bombardment of infomercials. I don't care how much of that cream that Victoria Principle slathers on her face, she is still 60 years old......and looks it.

The "fish and chips" station. How about giving us more than 2-3 oysters at a time? Also, you might not want to flatten them. They looked like they had been hammered flat by Gallagher and his mallet! Leave them as they come out of the shell.

Other than the menu, Carnival does a great job. However, variety is the spice of life, so we will cherish our memories and photos for years to come, but it is off to other lines for us.

Just read your quote below your sig, interesting considering your review....

I believe the channel line up is determined by satellite, it's not like being at home where you can choose what line up of channels you want.

The Menus has changed a couple of years ago...however, it has no appeal to me either.

I agree that that the Menu has not changed in years, but to expect it to change annually is asking too much. Not sure how often other lines change their menus though. Don't forget that on newer ships and those with 2.0 on Carnival there are a few more options for Dining pleasure...

The television stations are determined by the satellite provider. This isn't your local cable provider where you can determine what channel plan you want to pay for.

If you find the braised ribs to be consistently tough, maybe try something else. Just a thought. I do agree if you cruise often the menus can become boring.

I believe the channel line up is determined by satellite, it's not like being at home where you can choose what line up of channels you want.

I have seen local channels from Denver, Buffalo, Miami and Phoenix on Carnival ships. Satellite coverage is worldwide. Hence my Persian neighbor and his soccer parties complete with live games from Iran via Satellite.

It could be done.

I have seen local channels from Denver, Buffalo, Miami and Phoenix on Carnival ships. Satellite coverage is worldwide. Hence my Persian neighbor and his soccer parties complete with live games from Iran via Satellite.

It could be done.

hopefully the TV choices are not that much of an issue for you. I do recall John writing up something a while ago regarding television choices. They do not have the ability to show TV stations from just anywhere. Perhaps each ship is only equipped to pick up certain local stations. Something like that.

I've been going to my local eatery for years and years...and you know what, the menu hasn't changed in all that time. Daily specials rotate every couple of weeks, but other than that it just stays the same. And, other than a few minute changes I'm pretty sure I'm eating the exact same type of things from McDonalds, and Olive Garden, and most of the other franchise restaurants in town.

People who cruise a lot and who cruise the same ship and the same line and the same route are, obviously, going to utter the "same old, same old" phrase but many of the other 50,000 weekly passengers are experiencing something new and fresh since they often are first time or occasional cruisers.

For those who are bored with the cuisine on Carnival they really need to broaden their horizons...but, I like the tried and true of my local eatery and I don't think I ever go there for lunch thinking that they are going to change their menu just for me.

It could be done.

Why would Carnival spend the extra money to get world wide Satellite reception for the half dozen peeps who like to watch TV while they are on vacation. I can think of a whole spectrum of things I would rather see a cruise line spend money on.

For those who are bored with the cuisine on Carnival they really need to broaden their horizons...but' date=' I like the tried and true of my local eatery and I don't think I ever go there for lunch thinking that they are going to change their menu just for me.[/quote']

I don't recall saying that I wanted the menu changed just for me. However, they know which items are ordered more than others. They "could" delete and replace the least popular items from the menu on an annual or semi-annual basis without changing the entire menu.

I don't agree that Carnival can't improve the line up of shows/progtrams on their T.V. Several months ago we were on Azamara cruising through the South China Sea. We were able to get CNN, Fox, MSNBC and a host of T.V. stations. If you could receive this half we around the world, certainly if Carnival wanted to spend a little more money, they could improve their T.V. lineup and you wouldn't have to watch the local station from Denver.

In addition, I would suggest that Carnival also spend a little bit more in their MDR and improve the quality of the food they offer as well as the level of service. Quantity is not everything.

Carnival... this is the 21st Century. Spend a little money and make some changes!!!!

Why would Carnival spend the extra money to get world wide Satellite reception for the half dozen peeps who like to watch TV while they are on vacation. I can think of a whole spectrum of things I would rather see a cruise line spend money on.

They could offer it as a "package deal."

Charge $39.95 for the week.

Why not? They try hard to make money on everything else. When in my cabin, I would prefer something to watch other than the walls at night.

Not sure how you spend 24 hours out of your room. Sounds like you don't need one.

For 30 plus years I have the TV on all night, being a light sleeper. My last CCL cruise, all three network channels did not work once for some reason, and it was a local itinerary I had done twice before without incident.

I don't recall saying that I wanted the menu changed just for me. However, they know which items are ordered more than others. They "could" delete and replace the least popular items from the menu on an annual or semi-annual basis without changing the entire menu.

I agree, they could and I think they probably do from time to time change little things here and there. I did think the PB&J comment was funny!!! Not sure how I would have reacted if I was sitting there but I laughed out loud here.

They could offer it as a "package deal."

Charge $39.95 for the week.

Why not? They try hard to make money on everything else. When in my cabin, I would prefer something to watch other than the walls at night.

Time for you to go to a more expensive, all inclusive cruiseline. Of course you'll spend megabucks, but you'll get what you want. If Carnival provided all you want, the rest of us will have to deal with high prices to meet your wants. Sorry.

I agree that something could/should be done about the TV situation. I think it's possible if Carnival was willing to pony up the $$. Wanna have some fun? Cruise during football season and go to the sports bar on a Saturday afternoon and watch, and listen, to the shock/dismay/anger as people realize that top ranked teams are not being televised but instead they are showing Detroit Community College vs. Cleveland Jr. High School or some such nonsense. There was a near riot on our last Legend cruise. Seriously, there was shouting and tears. I'm not much of a college fan, so it was amusing to me, but I don't blame them for being a little upset. If they're gonna show a crap game that no one cares about, it'd be better to show nothing at all. It's almost adding insult to injury..

It could be done.

How much do you want to pay for your cruise to gt unlimited channels? More importantly, how much should I have to pay for my cruise so you can det unlimited channels?

By the way, satellite signals are not word wide; the earth is round.

They did change the menu about a year ago, some good some not so good but can always find interesting and good choices.

Dont really care what is on TV.

Time to try a different cruise line if this stuff really bothers you.

We have different concerns about the direction Carnival is going and our next one is our first NCL after which an RCCL one.

Time for you to go to a more expensive, all inclusive cruiseline. Of course you'll spend megabucks, but you'll get what you want. If Carnival provided all you want, the rest of us will have to deal with high prices to meet your wants. Sorry.

How is offering an upgraded TV package to those who might want it going to cost you anything extra?

Do you pay more for soda because someone bought the soda card?

Explain that one please?

Especially when I can get 100's of channels at home for $29.95 a month at home!

I don't agree that Carnival can't improve the line up of shows/progtrams on their T.V. Several months ago we were on Azamara cruising through the South China Sea. We were able to get CNN, Fox, MSNBC and a host of T.V. stations. If you could receive this half we around the world, certainly if Carnival wanted to spend a little more money, they could improve their T.V. lineup and you wouldn't have to watch the local station from Denver.

In addition, I would suggest that Carnival also spend a little bit more in their MDR and improve the quality of the food they offer as well as the level of service. Quantity is not everything.

Carnival... this is the 21st Century. Spend a little money and make some changes!!!!

As long as they don't pass the "spending" onto the rest of us who enjoy traveling Carnival because it is affordable.

And, I don't need a visual "baby sitter" in my room...I don't think I turn the TV on in my room the whole time...and I could care less about keeping up with the real world while on vacation. Some people actually enjoy the peace of not having the "world" blaring into their ears while they are relaxing in their cabin.

And, probably the best suggestion I have read is for a cruise line to charge for a TV package...that way I'm not paying for something else I get absolutely no enjoyment or pleasure from.

How much do you want to pay for your cruise to gt unlimited channels? More importantly, how much should I have to pay for my cruise so you can det unlimited channels?

By the way, satellite signals are not word wide; the earth is round.

I guess you pay more for soda too because someone else bought the soda card and you didn't.

Yes, the earth is round, and even HBO is available worldwide now.

Just read your quote below your sig, interesting considering your review....

The Menus has changed a couple of years ago...however, it has no appeal to me either.

I agree that that the Menu has not changed in years, but to expect it to change annually is asking too much. Not sure how often other lines change their menus though. Don't forget that on newer ships and those with 2.0 on Carnival there are a few more options for Dining pleasure...

I was thinking the same thing.

I don't think Carnival is perfect and have my next 2 cruises booked with another line, but still, when the itinerary is right and the price is right, fussing about the menu is the last thing on my mind.

And' date=' probably the best suggestion I have read is for a cruise line to charge for a TV package...that way I'm not paying for something else I get absolutely no enjoyment or pleasure from.[/quote']

As I said, make it a "package deal" like the soda cards or their "First to the Fun" program that only costs you $49.95 to hit the Lido deck an hour before anyone else.

You don't HAVE to purchase it.

Archived