Where can we get some ironing done once onboard?

FrenchPeach

I have never thought it 'unfortunate' that there aren't ironing facilities on Celebrity ships. I pack to avoid wrinkles, and use Downey to take care of the few I end up with. In all of my cruises, I have never felt a need to iron something. If I had to have those facilities, I wouldn't complain about Celebrity not having them, but instead would cruise on a line that does have them. It's my responsibility to pick the cruise line that satisfies my needs or desires, not theirs to satisfy every need or desire I may have.

If I may respectfully say so, isn't that a little harsh? This website is called Cruise "Critic" which means people can post opinions pro and con. To think someone would or would not pick a particular cruise line based on laundry or no laundry seems a bit extreme to me. I cruise X all the time and love it, but there are a number of things I am not totally satisfied with. I don't feel the need to jump ship so to speak just because there are a few things I don't like.:eek:

If I may respectfully say so, isn't that a little harsh? This website is called Cruise "Critic" which means people can post opinions pro and con. To think someone would or would not pick a particular cruise line based on laundry or no laundry seems a bit extreme to me. I cruise X all the time and love it, but there are a number of things I am not totally satisfied with. I don't feel the need to jump ship so to speak just because there are a few things I don't like.:eek:

I actually don't think that was harsh. Yes, this forum is called Cruise Critic. But constant complaining that something isn't the way someone wants it to be doesn't solve a thing. All it does is provide a person an opportunity to vent. After awhile, the non stop complaining get's tiresome. If the person is so bothered by something, the best solution is to avoid that something.

Reminds me of a guy who brought his lunch to work every day. Every day he would open up his lunchbox and exclaimed "tuna salad again!". Another co-worker suggested he should let his wife know he is getting tired of tuna salad. "Leave my wife out of this. I make my own lunches!" was the testy reply.

Moral of the story - instead of endlessly complaining about something not being to your liking, pick an alternative that is. Or accept it and move on.

Are onboard laundry services available?

Regular service, picked up before 9AM - returned next day. For same day service, picked up before 9AM and returned same day, add 50% express service surcharge.

LAUNDRY SERVICES

Jacket $5.95

Pants $4.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Sweater $4.95

Shorts $3.95

Dress $7.95

Skirt $4.95

Pajamas $3.95

Handkerchief $1.95

T-shirt $2.95

Undergarments $1.95

Swimsuit $2.95

Socks, pair $1.95

DRY CLEANING

Suit $12.95

Jacket $7.95

Pants $5.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $5.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Sweater $6.95

Shorts $4.95

Dress $12.95

Skirt $5.95

Necktie/Tie $3.95

PRESSING ONLY

Suit $5.95

Jacket $4.95

Pants $3.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $2.95

Sweater $3.95

Shorts $2.95

Dress $5.95

Skirt $3.95

rwr235, thank you for the list.:) In most cases it is cheaper to dry clean than to wash and press using Celebrity's laundry.

Well put.

But then, swsfrail does love moaning about anyone who mentions they'd like a ss laundry. She also loves telling them to choose another cruiseline. So let her also have her gripe ;)

Well put.

But then, swsfrail does love moaning about anyone who mentions they'd like a ss laundry. She also loves telling them to choose another cruiseline. So let her also have her gripe ;)

Thank you for your permission to "have her gripe". :D

After nearly fifty cruises over my long and fortunate life, I have come to the conclusion that complaining about certain things is not as rewarding as enjoying the other things. Not having a self service laundry room on board - that is of little consequence to me. No longer having my husband of 50+ years as my loving companion on cruises, that is of major consequence. It is all a matter of perspective, I suspect.

So, I give you "permission" to continue to complain about the lack of self service laundry if that is what is important to you. I do hope that is the worst you will ever have to complain about.

After nearly fifty cruises over my long and fortunate life, I have come to the conclusion that complaining about certain things is not as rewarding as enjoying the other things. Not having a self service laundry room on board - that is of little consequence to me. No longer having my husband of 50+ years as my loving companion on cruises, that is of major consequence. It is all a matter of perspective, I suspect.

So, I give you "permission" to continue to complain about the lack of self service laundry if that is what is important to you. I do hope that is the worst you will ever have to complain about.

swsfrail, you are quite right, it is very much a matter of perspective. We all think differently and should be free to say so.

Do you still cruise?

This is a cruise forum entitled Cruise Critic on which we comment about Cruise issues. If everyone brought their personal issues here it would not be called Cruise Critic anymore.

The amount of times cruisers post questions about ironing, hanging clothes, ss laundries, etc etc may seem like "whining" to you, but in my opinion they are entitled to ask them. If they irk you so much, then just ignore them. Personally, I think you may just be enjoying adding to the so called "whining".

swsfrail, you are quite right, it is very much a matter of perspective. We all think differently and should be free to say so.

Do you still cruise?

This is a cruise forum entitled Cruise Critic on which we comment about Cruise issues. If everyone brought their personal issues here it would not be called Cruise Critic anymore.

The amount of times cruisers post questions about ironing, hanging clothes, ss laundries, etc etc may seem like "whining" to you, but in my opinion they are entitled to ask them. If they irk you so much, then just ignore them. Personally, I think you may just be enjoying adding to the so called "whining".

Yes, Aussie Clair, I still cruise, but only once every two or so years, while my late husband and I would cruise two or three times per year. I now travel with my children and their children, being fortunate enough to be able to afford to take them with me and that they still seem to enjoy my company. :)

At eighty plus years (no exact number, please - a lady must retain some mystery :D ), I have stopped finding negatives in what could or should have been and focus on the positives of what is. My life is so much more rewarding when I practice that simple philosophy.

If Mercury thinks that I am "whining", then thanks to him for showing us how NOT to be a gentleman.

And some of you are correct - I should not read these threads if I find them annoying. Unfortunately, I still have my sense of humor and reading some of your comments gives me quite the chuckle. ;)

If Mercury thinks that I am "whining", then thanks to him for showing us how NOT to be a gentleman.

And some of you are correct - I should not read these threads if I find them annoying. Unfortunately, I still have my sense of humor and reading some of your comments gives me quite the chuckle. ;)

It's a simple case of "the pot calling the kettle black" - in other words you like to point out that others are whining, but don't like it said of yourself.

Oh, and you are right, I am no gentleman! A lady I am through and through.

Lastly, I must say that I hope I have as much feistiness as you when I am your age. And I hope too that I will still be cruising as you are (albeit with ss laundries available).:)

I think Celebrity should make a list of all those who adamantly want self serve laundries and, if they ever provide them, one of the requirements would be that the people who want them should have to book the cabins that surround them.;)

I think Celebrity should make a list of all those who adamantly want self serve laundries and, if they ever provide them, one of the requirements would be that the people who want them should have to book the cabins that surround them.;)
Best idea so far.;)

LOL Too funny - totally agree!

Christine, I had a cabin opposite the SS laundry on the Diamond Princess a few years ago, it was an Alaskan Cruise. I had no problems with noise or anthing else, it was very convenient being so close to the iron.

Ship designers are not stupid, they are not going to place SS laudries anywhere that would cause problems to passengers. I did hear complaints from cruisers about a service door banging all day and night.

If people object to something they will complain no matter what.

Someone posted an original question asking about laundry and in the thread someone had the nerve to state that it is unfortunate that Celebrity doesn't have a self-service laundry (amidst a post that was not negative overall). This is now considered "whining" and frowned upon?!? Good heavens. Compared to some of the posts on these boards that's almost a commercial for Celebrity:D

Christine, I had a cabin opposite the SS laundry on the Diamond Princess a few years ago, it was an Alaskan Cruise. I had no problems with noise or anthing else, it was very convenient being so close to the iron.

Ship designers are not stupid, they are not going to place SS laudries anywhere that would cause problems to passengers. I did hear complaints from cruisers about a service door banging all day and night.

If people object to something they will complain no matter what.

I am glad you had a good experience! We sure didn't:( Check out deckplans where the laundry rooms are - there are cabins all around. Women were lined up in the hall before the laundry room opened at 8am, all happily laughing and chatting (loudly) until the doors opened and then it was every women for herself. Sporadic arguments about dryers etc were continued in the hallways etc. Some people were finding that they had to remain close to the laundry room for the 1 1/2 hrs it took to wash an dry (actually took books!!) because if they missed the end of the cycle they would find their laundry piled on the floor. What a way to spend a vacation:(

I am glad you had a good experience! We sure didn't:( Check out deckplans where the laundry rooms are - there are cabins all around. Women were lined up in the hall before the laundry room opened at 8am, all happily laughing and chatting (loudly) until the doors opened and then it was every women for herself. Sporadic arguments about dryers etc were continued in the hallways etc. Some people were finding that they had to remain close to the laundry room for the 1 1/2 hrs it took to wash an dry (actually took books!!) because if they missed the end of the cycle they would find their laundry piled on the floor. What a way to spend a vacation:(

Many years ago on a P&O cruise there was a SS laundry room (not one on every deck), there was a lovely young man who used to look after the laundry so none of what you explained ever happened. I saw people give him $5 and leave their bag of laundry with them, he used to put it in the washing machine and dryer, fold it and put it back in the bag for people to collect. This to me was an amazing service if you wanted to part with $5. Many stayed and did their own laundry, but for me this $5 service was amazing.

I go to a commercial laundry once a year to wash my winter quilts, I always take my book.:)

Are onboard laundry services available?

Regular service, picked up before 9AM - returned next day. For same day service, picked up before 9AM and returned same day, add 50% express service surcharge.

LAUNDRY SERVICES

Jacket $5.95

Pants $4.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Sweater $4.95

Shorts $3.95

Dress $7.95

Skirt $4.95

Pajamas $3.95

Handkerchief $1.95

T-shirt $2.95

Undergarments $1.95

Swimsuit $2.95

Socks, pair $1.95

DRY CLEANING

Suit $12.95

Jacket $7.95

Pants $5.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $5.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Sweater $6.95

Shorts $4.95

Dress $12.95

Skirt $5.95

Necktie/Tie $3.95

PRESSING ONLY

Suit $5.95

Jacket $4.95

Pants $3.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $2.95

Sweater $3.95

Shorts $2.95

Dress $5.95

Skirt $3.95

OMG!! These prices for dry cleaning are much cheaper than here at home. I think that I will bring my clothes dirty and get X to do my laundry!!

Snow bunny

Wonder how Regent and Crystal handles this? They are more upmarket than X and they don't seem to have a problem knowing where to put the ss laundries.

That sounds awful.

I must say that I have only had good experiences in ships' ss laundries (and this is on both Princess and Carnival). On two different days of the 12 night cruises, I would put my laundry in the machine, go for breakfast and return to find it either still in the machine or in a basket. People were friendly and either chatting about the ports they'd visited or reading. The only time I had to wait was for a tumble drier and it was no big deal - had a chat to the person who was waiting for their clothes to come out.

Wonder how Regent and Crystal handles this? They are more upmarket than X and they don't seem to have a problem knowing where to put the ss laundries.

Since you've had good experiences you won't mind being next to the laundry room. When we used to sail on Princess, it was not a good experience. You couldn't pay me to be close to the laundry room.

Since you've had good experiences you won't mind being next to the laundry room. When we used to sail on Princess, it was not a good experience. You couldn't pay me to be close to the laundry room.

We like to book SV; i.e right at the back of the ship, so if the laundries were put there it would make no difference to me.

What I refuse is to be under the OceanView cafe - can't stand the sound of chairs being dragged at 5am when the crew start preparing the area. The laundry would not be an issue as we are out and about in ports or on the ship during the day. Also, as I said Regent and Crystal have managed quite happily with their ss laundries for years so they can't be getting complaints from those who are positioned close to these laundries.

We like to book SV; i.e right at the back of the ship, so if the laundries were put there it would make no difference to me.

What I refuse is to be under the OceanView cafe - can't stand the sound of chairs being dragged at 5am when the crew start preparing the area. The laundry would not be an issue as we are out and about in ports or on the ship during the day. Also, as I said Regent and Crystal have managed quite happily with their ss laundries for years so they can't be getting complaints from those who are positioned close to these laundries.

Then I would suggest that the ss laundry worshipers book those cruise lines and leave Celebrity as it is.

Archived