Sailaway's Blog

Someone posted on FB that Majesty to be upgraded to Platinum in October this year!!! How reliable do you think this can be? Sorry, states re-fitted in October to eventually become platinum like Dream and Celebration.

If it is to stay in the fleet after 2014, then I would think a Platinum refurb would be necessary, as I think in the end Thomson want the whole fleet to be Platinum (or whatever they consider as Platinum).

I suppose it could do, but the flaws that this ship has I would have thought Thomson would want to get rid of it, not have it upgraded. All depends on Louis too, do they want to put money towards a refurbishment?

Majesty has got a break in November where it will be in Limassol, the port where Louis would refurb it. It's got a break of three weeks, so it would make sense.

If it is true, then that kind of seals the fate of Spirit.

Someone posted on FB that Majesty to be upgraded to Platinum in October this year!!! How reliable do you think this can be? Sorry, states re-fitted in October to eventually become platinum like Dream and Celebration.

I'm trying hard to imagine where the tea and coffee making facilities would be in the standard cabin! :eek::eek::eek:

If it is to stay in the fleet after 2014, then I would think a Platinum refurb would be necessary, as I think in the end Thomson want the whole fleet to be Platinum (or whatever they consider as Platinum).

I suppose it could do, but the flaws that this ship has I would have thought Thomson would want to get rid of it, not have it upgraded. All depends on Louis too, do they want to put money towards a refurbishment?

If it is true, then that kind of seals the fate of Spirit.

A refurbishment would not alter the structural issues I have with the Majesty.

I can't see it really - as Sailaway and Nell have said the issues raised by quite a number of people on here relate to the design of the ship which a refurb isn't going to solve. Since the ship is Louis' too who will spend several millions on her? I bet Louis won't. Look how long it took for them to address the draughty Lido on Destiny. Within six months it had been taken out of Thomson's service and was plying its trade as a Louis ship again. All the money spent there was soon benefiting Louis customers - not Thomson's.

I can't see it really - as Sailaway and Nell have said the issues raised by quite a number of people on here relate to the design of the ship which a refurb isn't going to solve. Since the ship is Louis' too who will spend several millions on her? I bet Louis won't. Look how long it took for them to address the draughty Lido on Destiny. Within six months it had been taken out of Thomson's service and was plying its trade as a Louis ship again. All the money spent there was soon benefiting Louis customers - not Thomson's.

Judging by the fact that most of Louis ships are for sale, and the economy in Cyprus, I doubt Louis are in the position at the moment to spend a lot of money on their ships. I would say the break in its schedule will be for some maintenance and general tidy-up, new carpets here and there that sort of thing. My feeling is though this will be to make it more attractive to buyers/future leasers rather than for Thomson. We'll see...

Perhaps they would use 2 standard cabins to make 1??

I think a complete redesign of cabins, knocking down a lot of walls to create larger restaurants and bars, and taking down ceilings to improve the show lounge is the only way to get this ship right. It would seem that when they did the cut-and-stretch, it really wasn't thought about properly. There's just too many passengers and small spaces on a ship this size. The space is probably there, but isn't being used effectively. Less cabins and larger spaces is needed, and that will also cost a fortune to do.

A new post, but quite a long one, so get a coffee and have a read. :)

There's a poll at the bottom, so don't forget to vote. Hopefully you'll find this post informative and interesting.

Thomson Cruises Possible Future Vessels

With leases expiring, and statements from the liner of a modernisation, I give you the low-down regarding which ships could join the Thomson Cruises fleet, but which would you like to see introduced?

http://sailawaysblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/thomson-cruises-possible-future-vessels/

I voted for the Statendam. I'll be honest, I didn't look at the pictures and deck plans for all of them. Most I discounted after reading the descriptions. However I did like the look of this.

I voted for the Statendam. I'll be honest, I didn't look at the pictures and deck plans for all of them. Most I discounted after reading the descriptions. However I did like the look of this.

I like the loook of the Statendam too especially on the basis of size - more like the current Thomson ships. The cabin sizes are very big too. The pool has a glass roof too - very convenient on days with bad weather!

The Celebrity Millenium is the other one which caught my interest but I just wonder whether the pax load @ approx 2,000 would impact on the feel of the ship. We're so used to the atmosphere on smaller ships I'm not sure if that would be a factor.

The Century too looks good - and slightly smaller pax load.

I didn't get that warm feeling about the Mein Schiff ships - can't really explain why other than I just found the pictures of the ship less appealing but that's probably just down to personal preference in terms of decor.

Liked the look of the Oriana too - and as Sailaway said the size is right but perhaps unlikely from the competitor point of view.

The Carnival, Majesty of the Seas and Norwegian Spirit didn't appeal so much - probably because of the waterslides/attractions which I don't think would be helpful to Thomson. They aren't new enough ships or with enough wow factors to attract the kind of passenger who is looking for that kind of thing - the other all-singing, all-dancing ships have far more to offer and at good price points too especially for families. The profile of most Thomson passengers don't seem to me to be looking for 'attractions' (they wouldn't be Thomson regulars if they were!) so I think this kind of ship may well fall between two stools - not having enough to attract a different passenger demographic and perhaps putting off the one they have.

The inside cabins on Norwegian Spirit look very ordinary - well actually not very appealing at all.

I was pleased to see that all the ships I looked at had fixed seating in the theatre though!

Thanks for all the research Sailaway - very interesting. Wish Thomson had you working with them - we might get some balanced, informed and objective decisions made then!

Archived