Non-refundable deposit and loss of FCCs

columbuscruiser3

Have searched the Forum but if this specific question has already been answered I missed it:

I have a mini-suite booked for Panama Canal next spring using FCCs and it was booked under a non-refundable deposit sale using FCCs through a TA.

I saw that the price for this itinerary was down by about $900 vs what I booked at. I contact TA about price reduction and was given a net reduction of about $250 (large fare decrease but lost $100 in TA-provided OBC).

I understand that if I cancel this and rebook to get the lower fare under current pricing I will lost the deposit ($200) from the FCCs. Does this also mean that I lose the OBC that would come with using FCC? I think the math still works but just want to be sure.

Have asked TA for an explanation and not gotten a response. Might be another reason to cancel and rebook directly with Princess at this point.

Thanks!

Yes, in order to get a price drop on a non-refundble deposit cruise, you must rebook the cruise. In doing so, you lose that non-refundable deposit. If your deposit was made using an FCC, then you lose the FCC. If you have no FCC, you get no OBC for that cruise.

If you come out ahead financially, then rebook. If not, don't.

Thanks to all. Was looking at this as a simple math exercise - just wanted to be certain on the OBC impact.

Thanks again!

Are you saying that the price initially booked with the TA was the same as you could have received by booking directly with Princess and the TA was only giving you a $100 OBC?

If your current calculations indicates that it is better to cancel and rebook you might want to consider booking with a different TA to get an additional discount. From my experience your TA discount from the Princess price should have been at least equal to 8% instead of just $100 OBC. I am sure you can find a lot of discussion concerning this on other threads. Of course it you cancel and rebook you might lose the cabin you have booked.

It is too bad that you have to cancel in order to take advantage of a price reduction even if the deposit is not refundable. It must be in the details of the initial deal.

Good luck.

Thanks jagoffee for the response. Actually I had gotten an initial discount from the TA in line with what you suggest (far better than Princess direct booking price) along with a $150 OBC from the TA.

When I asked about better pricing from the TA now that Princess' price had dropped I got a lower rate (but higher than that for a new booking would be) but lost $100 of the TA-offered OBC.

Have been through this enough (and have gotten good coaching on this board) to know I should be getting a meaningful discount from any good TA.

I'm a number guy - probably just should have posted the equation rather than making it confusing by putting it in words :)

The responses and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks jagoffee for the response. Actually I had gotten an initial discount from the TA in line with what you suggest (far better than Princess direct booking price) along with a $150 OBC from the TA.

When I asked about better pricing from the TA now that Princess' price had dropped I got a lower rate (but higher than that for a new booking would be) but lost $100 of the TA-offered OBC.

Have been through this enough (and have gotten good coaching on this board) to know I should be getting a meaningful discount from any good TA.

I'm a number guy - probably just should have posted the equation rather than making it confusing by putting it in words :)

The responses and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Since you are a numbers guy I am sure you have it worked out. I can certainly understand why the TA would reduce the OBC.

Good luck.

Archived