Friends and family discount

jtslattery

Just to be clear

If it was a perk you would have not been given money back for not using the hotel offer

Some people get pre paid gratuities or OBC from the cruise line or their TA ..that is a perk

Repeat cruisers with a certain number of cruises will get an OBC, Spa treatments ..that is a perk

Lyn

Lyn, what *is* it called when there is a published offer from O saying that there is a free hotel night prior to the cruise? I am not being difficult - I am not familiar with the travel industry terminology. Incentive? Bonus? I definitely was able to turn down the Marriott hotel and transfer and get money off my cruise instead. I liked that! We were able to afford more days in Copenhagen and we took the public transit ferry "bus" to the Little Mermaid and walked from there.

Lyn, what *is* it called when there is a published offer from O saying that there is a free hotel night prior to the cruise? I am not being difficult - I am not familiar with the travel industry terminology. Incentive? Bonus? I definitely was able to turn down the Marriott hotel and transfer and get money off my cruise instead. I liked that! We were able to afford more days in Copenhagen and we took the public transit ferry "bus" to the Little Mermaid and walked from there.

Marketing ;)

Same as the FREE AIRFARE

Hi Tansy and LHT28 (interesting moniker),

I guess the lack of responses means that I am not the only one who does not have an understanding of group rates and how to find them. Thanks for taking the time to share what you know.

Mike

Hi Tansy and LHT28 (interesting moniker), WHY??

I guess the lack of responses means that I am not the only one who does not have an understanding of group rates and how to find them. Thanks for taking the time to share what you know.

Mike

Some travel agencies will offer cruises for a group they put together ...

I am not sure if they discount the price or just add more perks

some are a wine magazine groups, school alumni etc

For other TA's you just have to shop around maybe google group cruises

I never have luck find what groups are on the ship but others seem to find them

I just go and enjoy

Lyn

Hi Lyn:

Sometimes SBC and Grats provided by TA's are refundable. This will usually be the case if your TA states this with Oceania. Otherwise not spent, lost.

Also if Oceania provides hotel free before/after cruise there is a cash option if the cruiser asks for it. Does not seem to be published. Cash option is reduced cruise cost. Similar to free air allowance if you do your own.However you may get a better deal at same hotel offered by Oceania as we have found such as two nights and cash savings.

Always check with your TA.

Elwin

As I understand it (I could be wrong)

Top producing agencies get incentive points from the cruise line that they can use to offer their clients perks such as OBC or Pre paid gratuities... these are non refundable

On some cruises the cruise line will offer perks such as OBC &/or prepaid gratuities as an incentive to book that cruise

Some TA's will give their clients OBC as an incentive to book with them & these may be refundable if you do not use it all

I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken

Lyn

Hi Lyn:

Sometimes SBC and Grats provided by TA's are refundable. This will usually be the case if your TA states this with Oceania. Otherwise not spent, lost.

Elwin

So not sure what part of my post you did not understand

Some TA's will give their clients OBC as an incentive to book with them & these may be refundable if you do not use it all

I am well aware of the FREE airfare & Hotel deal

Please re read my post

Lyn

Lyn:

Not open for back and forth. You are sort of correct but the TA has to tell Oceania it is refundable. This is not automatic. Client should know before cruise so they can decide on how to spend etc. Possibly you could re read my comments to clarify issue. Elwin

quote=LHT28;36220137]So not sure what part of my post you did not understand

Please re read my post

Lyn

...Sometimes SBC and Grats provided by TA's are refundable. This will usually be the case if your TA states this with Oceania. Otherwise not spent, lost...

You are correct that clients should ask which kind of OBC it is. But, it's actually pretty easy for Oceania to determine. If the gratuties or OBC comes as a payment from the TA's own funds, it's refundable in cash. If it is a passthrough amenity provided by the cruise line to the TA to then provide to their clients, it is not refundable, but is the "use it or lose it" type. Oceania usually knows the difference, especially if they didn't provide the amenity to the agent in the first place. If a passenger gets on board and doesn't know which kind of OBC they have, they can ask at Reception.

In my experience (admittedly with just one agency), it's very rare that the agency provides the funds from their own pockets, but it's certainly possible.

Lyn:

Not open for back and forth. You are sort of correct but the TA has to tell Oceania it is refundable. This is not automatic. Client should know before cruise so they can decide on how to spend etc. Possibly you could re read my comments to clarify issue. Elwin

quote=LHT28;36220137]So not sure what part of my post you did not understand

Please re read my post

Lyn

Actually Elwin, it is you who is "sort of correct".

If the TA paid MONEY for the OBC then it is refundable.

If they used PROMOTIONAL CREDITS, then it is not refundable.

Hi Stan:

We have had SBC & Grats both refundable and not. When we contact our TA while on cruise, he advises Oceania to make it refundable. We do not know about PROMOTIONAL CREDITS and implications. We only speak from experience and one of Canada's Top Agencies providing their input which we have to believe is correct.

Cruisers should then make it clear before departing with their TA "is it refundable" as we have said. Better to be knowlegible than blinded.Don't leave any funds on the table. Suggestion then would be to be clear when making political statements and not leave cruisers in the DARK.

Guess We are "SORT OF RIGHT".

Elwin

Hi Stan:

We have had SBC & Grats both refundable and not. When we contact our TA while on cruise, he advises Oceania to make it refundable. We do not know about PROMOTIONAL CREDITS and implications. We only speak from experience and one of Canada's Top Agencies providing their input which we have to believe is correct.

Cruisers should then make it clear before departing with their TA "is it refundable" as we have said. Better to be knowlegible than blinded.Don't leave any funds on the table. Suggestion then would be to be clear when making political statements and not leave cruisers in the DARK.

Guess We are "SORT OF RIGHT".

Elwin

It IS a good idea for the Agent to tell the Client if the perquisite in question is refundable or not, however, the relative importance or influence of that Agent is completely irrelevant.

What counts is how that SBC or Gratuity was paid for.

If the Agent Put up the money, then it is refundable.

If Oceania put up the money as a promotion then it is not refundable.

Can we pleezee shoot the horse instead of beating it to death with a stick:eek:

Some OBC etc are refundable some are NOT check with who ever gave them to to for the the correct situation

my heavens above it is not rocket science :rolleyes:

Jim, is that not what I was saying all along! I agree and lets stop it.

Elwin

It IS a good idea for the Agent to tell the Client if the perquisite in question is refundable or not, however, the relative importance or influence of that Agent is completely irrelevant.

What counts is how that SBC or Gratuity was paid for.

If the Agent Put up the money, then it is refundable.

If Oceania put up the money as a promotion then it is not refundable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived