luggage tag help please

RCI newbie here...I foolishly made the assumption that luggage tags worked the same way with RCI as Carnival...I sail tomorrow, and when I went on the RCI site to print out my luggage tags (as I always do with Carnival), it was then I noticed that you have to request luggage tags 10 days before you sail (I think they mail them); and if you don't have them, you have to fill out something and get them from the porter when you check your luggage at the terminal

I just need some guidance...one to confirm that it's not a big hassle to get the luggage tags from the porter (if anyone has done this before)...and any other advice RCI veterans can give me as regards getting the luggage tags when I get to the port...I just don't want to assume once again that I have this covered

RCI newbie here...I foolishly made the assumption that luggage tags worked the same way with RCI as Carnival...I sail tomorrow, and when I went on the RCI site to print out my luggage tags (as I always do with Carnival), it was then I noticed that you have to request luggage tags 10 days before you sail (I think they mail them); and if you don't have them, you have to fill out something and get them from the porter when you check your luggage at the terminal

I just need some guidance...one to confirm that it's not a big hassle to get the luggage tags from the porter (if anyone has done this before)...and any other advice RCI veterans can give me as regards getting the luggage tags when I get to the port...I just don't want to assume once again that I have this covered

You can download your luggage tags from Royal's website. Once you login, look for the "cruise documentation" link, and request to print your vacation documents. Towards the end of that document is a picture of your luggage tag.

Alternatively, you can simply tell your stateroom number to the porter at the pier and they will create luggage tags.

The porters will all have pockets full of luggage tags and felt tip pens. They will need to see your boarding docs with your cabin assignment and then they write the tags. Make sure that the cabin # is legible as there have been stories of luggage being misdirected because of unreadable handwriting. It isn't hassle- a lot of passengers do it.

So yesterday was my day to pack and put the luggage tags on for my cruise on 11/24. Go to the RCCL site and Voila! the luggage tags that I was so excited to print still had my previous cabin on them - I had upgraded to a junior suite. Oh, well. Guess I'll wait til the dock. :(

So yesterday was my day to pack and put the luggage tags on for my cruise on 11/24. Go to the RCCL site and Voila! the luggage tags that I was so excited to print still had my previous cabin on them - I had upgraded to a junior suite. Oh, well. Guess I'll wait til the dock. :(

You have to request Royal re-issue the cruise docs, and that will change the luggage tag to reflect your new stateroom. If you booked direct with Royal, just call them. If you booked with a TA, you will have to ask the TA to make the request to Royal.

It's time for duct tape. I've been taping duct tape onto the 'back' side of a luggage tag on each suitcase for the past two years or so.

On the duct tape I place - in large, bold print - my cabin number. The porters take one look, say great and no hassle at the port. What's funny is the bags seem to make it to the room quicker now than in the past years. Further, this type tag has never come off unlike the paper tags.

This has really worked well when we flew as the cabin info was on the suitcase, just in case the suitcase had to 'catch up to us' and it never interefered with the airline tags.

Before departure, I usually peel the 'tag' off so there is no confusion that the bag is actually 'departing' the ship.

the luggage tags that I was so excited to print still had my previous cabin on them - I had upgraded to a junior suite. Oh, well. Guess I'll wait til the dock. :(

My e-docs were reissued after I upgraded and I printed new tags the next day. I upgraded over the phone, but you should be able to call and have them update your documents.

It's not really that big of a deal. Just fill out tags at port I had to do it myself I never had a prblem

Show the porter your set sail pass, give them a couple of bucks, and they will fill everything out.

Or bring a felt tip pen, so you know that it works, and do it yourself.

The only reason that I bring up the last point, is that a couple of cruises ago, we did not have luggage tags, and the porters pen did not work, so we had a short delay in getting every tag marked.

All they really need is your cabin number. But if you know the quadrant, it's best to mark it.......making a cross, and then marking the area closest to your cabin. That is what the quadrant on your luggage tags stand for.:)

Rick

thanks, Rick...of course I don't have a a set sail pass either :( I didn't realize you couldn't just print them out the night before sailing...I ended up calling the RCI customer service line tonight...the rep told me that I could just do everything at the terminal--just bring my passport...I am just used to having all that stuff ready--boarding pass, luggage tags, et al--before I get to the terminal

thanks, Rick...of course I don't have a a set sail pass either :( I didn't realize you couldn't just print them out the night before sailing...I ended up calling the RCI customer service line tonight...the rep told me that I could just do everything at the terminal--just bring my passport...I am just used to having all that stuff ready--boarding pass, luggage tags, et al--before I get to the terminal

Next time Tiger, you can fill out your setsail right after you make final payment. It takes a little more time to do it at the pier, but you can do it. Make sure you have your cruise confirmation paperwork to get into the terminal. They are used to seeing the setsail paperwork and they are a little security minded. Have a great cruise! :)

Come back and tell us all about it too...please!

My e-docs were reissued after I upgraded and I printed new tags the next day. I upgraded over the phone, but you should be able to call and have them update your documents.

Thanks! I shall do. Just one more week to go........and I wonder why I've been singing "Oo Ee, Oo Ee, Baby - Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise" in my head.

thanks y'all...I am feeling a little better...although, when I went to do online check-in tonight, I got a message that it was too late to do online check-in and that I would have to check-in at the pier...oh well...lesson learned :o

Online check-in has to be completed at least 3 days before you sail. Otherwise, you'll just do it at the port. No biggie, except it saves time to do it before.

Archived