Oasis--Random Thoughts

Just returned from the Nov 3rd sailing on the Oasis and thought I would share some random thoughts for what it is worth.

No doubt the ship is gorgeous and we liked the central park area as it was interesting to be on a cruise ship but felt like you were in the middle of a city (as mentioned here the roast beef sandwiches are excellent).

The new menu seemed like an improvement over previous RCI cruises.

MTD needs some refinement as this process could be more efficient as to decrease the wait time for a table.

Johnny Rockets was never crowded for breakfast (I don't know if it was common knowledge there was no charge for breakfast).

Enjoyed eating at the Solarium Bistro because it was never busy and we were able to avoid the Windjammer.

Izumi specialty restaurant was excellent if you like sushi.

We made reservations for Hairspray but when my sea pass card was scanned the reservation did not appear so I had to go from the balcony level downstairs to where there was a laptop computer to confirm my reservation. This was a hassle with all of the people waiting in line to get seats.

Hairspray, Come Fly with Me, and Comedy shows were excellent but the lines were very long to get into the shows with reservations.

Our personal preferences are the smaller ships but did enjoy our vacation on Oasis and now that we have been on the Oasis will return to the smaller ships.

Just returned from the Nov 3rd sailing on the Oasis and thought I would share some random thoughts for what it is worth.

No doubt the ship is gorgeous and we liked the central park area as it was interesting to be on a cruise ship but felt like you were in the middle of a city (as mentioned here the roast beef sandwiches are excellent).

The new menu seemed like an improvement over previous RCI cruises.

MTD needs some refinement as this process could be more efficient as to decrease the wait time for a table.

Johnny Rockets was never crowded for breakfast (I don't know if it was common knowledge there was no charge for breakfast).

Enjoyed eating at the Solarium Bistro because it was never busy and we were able to avoid the Windjammer.

Izumi specialty restaurant was excellent if you like sushi.

We made reservations for Hairspray but when my sea pass card was scanned the reservation did not appear so I had to go from the balcony level downstairs to where there was a laptop computer to confirm my reservation. This was a hassle with all of the people waiting in line to get seats.

Hairspray, Come Fly with Me, and Comedy shows were excellent but the lines were very long to get into the shows with reservations.

Our personal preferences are the smaller ships but did enjoy our vacation on Oasis and now that we have been on the Oasis will return to the smaller ships.

I thought MTD was odd because it wasn't really my time dining. You still needed to make a reservation if you wanted the same wait staff. I felt anxious and made my reservation each day after lunch to make sure I got the same table and same wait staff. It wasn't as "care free" as they make it sound. I will stick with traditional dining from now on.

The show reservation process still needs work in my opinion. It's a hot mess between when folks can reserve shows to people saving entire rows for their groups in the theater. Royal Caribbean needs to number the seats and allow folks to reserve exactly what they need within their reservations. This would cut down on folks saving seats, and cut down on lines to get into the theater.

I too was on the same sailing and have to agree with you. Oasis is an amazing ship, but the lack of views of the water, and the huge city/mall feel was a little strange to me. I found the My Time Dining excellent, but we made reservations before boarding and confirmed our time every afternoon. Service and food was phenomenal in the dining room. I also enjoyed the Solarium Bistro and liked that area of the ship the most as it was very comfortable and relaxing to just lounge in there with no kids around.

We are cruising again next year but going back to the Liberty of the Seas as we really enjoyed the ocean feel on that ship.

Thank you for your Random Thoughts.

We are sailing in January on the Allure. I must agree with the previous posts. I believe the atmosphere and companionship of our fellow cruiser is more noticeable on the smaller ships. But my sister and I want to experience this beautiful ship.

So here we go. We booked a ocean view balcony so it will appear to us that we are on the same style of ship as before.

Oasis and Allure are a class on their own. Once you experience the flair of cruising this way you may either love it and do it again or not. I believe that I will have satisfied my inquisitiveness and move back to the smaller ships.

We were on Oasis in Oct. and just off Explorer. Here are my thoughts.

While I originally thought Central Park was a waste of good space, we enjoyed walking through Central Park every evening on our way from dinner to the show. It gave your evening a more formal feel.

Hated the Solarium. There was no shaded place to sit. What were they thinking when they designed this, especially for a ship which is cruising exclusively in the Caribbean? The avg. temp on our Oct. cruise was in the 90s. We had to sit at the covered area by the outside pools and leave every time there was music which they blast. Made us happy we had a forward cabin and not a balcony cabin under the pool area.

Loved the Solarium for a healthy lunch and for a place to get flavored water while sitting by the pool.

Ship is really geared for people traveling with youngsters. Great Dreamworks activities. Fewer adult activities and lectures like on the smaller ship.

We had traditional early dining. The food/service was equivalent to Explorer.

We had a deck 7 cabin which allowed us to walk up to the Boardwalk or down to Central Park or the Promenade without waiting for elevators. Spent significantly less time waiting for elevators on Oasis than on Explorer.

Embarkation (although we got there very early to change some show reservations) and debarkation was a dream. Best debarkation ever.

We were on Oasis in Oct. and just off Explorer. Here are my thoughts.

While I originally thought Central Park was a waste of good space, we enjoyed walking through Central Park every evening on our way from dinner to the show. It gave your evening a more formal feel.

Hated the Solarium. There was no shaded place to sit. What were they thinking when they designed this, especially for a ship which is cruising exclusively in the Caribbean? The avg. temp on our Oct. cruise was in the 90s. We had to sit at the covered area by the outside pools and leave every time there was music which they blast. Made us happy we had a forward cabin and not a balcony cabin under the pool area.

Loved the Solarium for a healthy lunch and for a place to get flavored water while sitting by the pool.

Ship is really geared for people traveling with youngsters. Great Dreamworks activities. Fewer adult activities and lectures like on the smaller ship.

We had traditional early dining. The food/service was equivalent to Explorer.

We had a deck 7 cabin which allowed us to walk up to the Boardwalk or down to Central Park or the Promenade without waiting for elevators. Spent significantly less time waiting for elevators on Oasis than on Explorer.

Embarkation (although we got there very early to change some show reservations) and debarkation was a dream. Best debarkation ever.

There is shaded seating on Deck 16 the second floor of the Solarium near the Solarium Bar.

Oasis_Solarium_3238.jpg.5d4bacdbe51bcb268c8f77dea52e3842.jpg

Oasis_Solarium_Bar_3237.jpg.8004fcee642203f7bb8e6f778b35ba27.jpg

JeffKoz..I totally agree..and the pianist in the schooner bar on Oasis was playing elevator music and not very well.

Tyler...We had MTD reservations but what is the point if you need reservations anyway? I did not enjoy the structure all of the dinner and show reservations required as I go on a cruise to get away from a scheduled routine like at home. I like to be able to adapt my schedule on vacation on a daily basis based on my mood.

EGG..We were also glad we had booked a deck 7 cabin mid ship so we could use the stairs most of the time and not rely on the elevators. And embarkation was definitely a breeze (it seems as if they should be able to bring more order to the show reservations and MTD if RCI can make embarkation smooth). We were off the ship on debarkation day at 6:30AM which was wonderful!

Walked around in the Solarium twice. Maybe it was a different time of the day, but we both missed it. Thanks for the response.

It is the upper deck of the solarium in the pix. It is a very nice spot with cozy seating and a bar. I found it to have hardly any people - maybe others did not explore the upper solarium decks either :)

As long as there is some shade I will be o.k.

I cannot take too much sun. Our January cruise will be perfect for weather I hope.

We are on deck 8 so will we be able to walk down to the parks and boardwalk. I guess the elevators are very busy with so many people on board.

So looking forward to our cruise.

I loved the Oasis. DH and I cruise alone, and are in our 60's. Personally, I don't feel that the Oasis is geared to people traveling with children. I feel it is comfortable for all ages.

I also enjoyed the Central Park area. Correct, there is no view of the ocean from this venue. But, that did not dampen my cruising experience. In fact, it enhanced it. Totally amazing that there was a green area in the middle of the ocean. I saw it as a positive.

Other classes of ships also have the promenade. This area by design, does not allow ocean view. It is not unique to Oasis. The Boardwalk - another fun place. Yes, it does host some activities for children, but it also has activities for families.

I loved the Oasis. DH and I cruise alone, and are in our 60's. Personally, I don't feel that the Oasis is geared to people traveling with children. I feel it is comfortable for all ages.

I also enjoyed the Central Park area. Correct, there is no view of the ocean from this venue. But, that did not dampen my cruising experience. In fact, it enhanced it. Totally amazing that there was a green area in the middle of the ocean. I saw it as a positive.

Other classes of ships also have the promenade. This area by design, does not allow ocean view. It is not unique to Oasis. The Boardwalk - another fun place. Yes, it does host some activities for children, but it also has activities for families.

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree a few children or young adults here and there complete the picture in my view. I also am in your age bracket, well actually a bit older, but in any case I appreciate seeing children on a cruise. Well behaved pleased. But with the carousel and other fascinating things to see and do, it stands to reason some family would relish the cruise approach. Nothing compares to a cruise we took in the Mediterranean a few years ago. It was an European cruise and believe you me, some of the parents just ignored the children most of the time. Then again it may be a different approach that some families have towards teaching their children respect and proper etiquette. I just rise above the clatter and enjoyed my cruise.

Archived