I feel silly asking this Caesar salad question

Unknotted

Can anyone tell me if NCL has real anchovies for caesar salads? I know they had them upon request in 2005 when we sailed on the Dawn, but that was the last time we sailed NCL. My DH is really hoping they still have them because on the last several cruises we've taken (not NCL) we keep hearing "Oh, even though you can't see them they are added to the dressing." DH figures that not only can you not see them, you can't taste them either. So...does NCL still use the little icky (in my opinion) fishies, or just paste in the dressing?

Love Caesar salad? Here is some history. Interesting to note, the original anchovy taste came from the Worcestershire sauce, no pieces of anchovy or paste in the salad.

The last REAL one I had was in the old Hollywood Roosevelt hotel, prepared tableside with REAL coddled eggs! :eek:

Oh now your just bragging :D

OK, if they have any on the ship I'll find them, lol. DH isn't brave like me, so he won't press the issue, even in his own behalf...but I'll find the nasty little things for him if there are any to be found.

EDIT: What the heck is a coddled egg?

I used to make Caesar from scratch . . . with real coddled eggs and mash up my own anchovies (besides the whole filets on top) but now with the salmonela scare with raw eggs, I don't do that any more. But we never did get sick from it thank goodness. Is it just that our egg suppliers have just gotten worse with their product handling? :rolleyes:

I used to make Caesar from scratch . . . with real coddled eggs and mash up my own anchovies (besides the whole filets on top) but now with the salmonela scare with raw eggs, I don't do that any more. But we never did get sick from it thank goodness. Is it just that our egg suppliers have just gotten worse with their product handling? :rolleyes:

I still make it all the time, with real coddled eggs when it's just us and I just omit the eggs for company (gotta get some use out of my old mortar and pestle lol). We have never gotten sick from it even once - I see it the same as cooking eggs over-easy. We still make real eggnog too, with a dozen raw eggs separated, whipped, and it's oh-so-good. Again, never gotten sick from it. been lucky and very careful with the eggs I buy.

OP, always found a big bowl of anchovies at the buffet on every NCL ship at the caesar salad station - a big yummy salty salad is one of my favorite snacks after a long port day!

Robin

We still make real eggnog too, with a dozen raw eggs separated, whipped, and it's oh-so-good. Again, never gotten sick from it. been lucky and very careful with the eggs I buy.

I also use raw eggs in mine too, but have started using "Davidson Safest Choice" eggs for it. The egg carton says:

Make the Safest Choice!

Davidson's Safest Choice® Eggs are pasteurized, so they taste great and are safe for all your favorite egg dishes! The Safest Choice™ all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process eliminates the risk of Salmonella in eggs. Now you can safely enjoy your favorite styles and recipes such as Hollandaise, Caesar salad dressing and other sauces —and sunny side up, poached or soft scrambled eggs.

I find them at my local Publix grocery. They are with the regular eggs, and are just like regular eggs in the shell in a dozen egg carton, but are a little more expensive.

I figured that way, if anyone gets sick they can't say it was the eggs in the nog LOL.

My husband will be looking for the anchovies too - goes on salad AND his pizza here :D

I also use raw eggs in mine too, but have started using "Davidson Safest Choice" eggs for it. The egg carton says:

Make the Safest Choice!

Davidson's Safest Choice® Eggs are pasteurized, so they taste great and are safe for all your favorite egg dishes! The Safest Choice™ all-natural, gentle water bath pasteurization process eliminates the risk of Salmonella in eggs. Now you can safely enjoy your favorite styles and recipes such as Hollandaise, Caesar salad dressing and other sauces —and sunny side up, poached or soft scrambled eggs.

I find them at my local Publix grocery. They are with the regular eggs, and are just like regular eggs in the shell in a dozen egg carton, but are a little more expensive.

I figured that way, if anyone gets sick they can't say it was the eggs in the nog LOL.

My husband will be looking for the anchovies too - goes on salad AND his pizza here :D

I will have to look for those! Sounds like a great idea! Are they any different texturally from regular eggs? PS - I have been known to overload everything with anchovies and eat them plain, much to the disgust of my daughter lol.. Sounds like a lot of us cut from the same cloth :).

Robin

R - Do you make real Yorkshire Pudding too ? If so, and the Prime Rib is just under Medium Rare and the gravy made with the pan juices ... would you let me know when y'all are cleaned up down there ? We'll wend our way down from the NW CT foothills ;):D

~ Cinci

Absolutely! As a matter of fact, I am making med rare Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding AND Caesar salad for our Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Since my daughters can't make it home, and with everything going on here, we are going non-traditional, eating well, and then cocktails and playing games with our neighbors all night. Kind of a wandering party, house to house, and no driving! I'm so looking forward to this!

Robin

Are they any different texturally from regular eggs?

Nope, they're egg-xactly the same LOL. You could never tell they were different from any other eggs. Here's a link to their website with a picture of the carton:

http://www.safeeggs.com/safest-choice-pasteurized-eggs/pasteurized-eggs

We are helping elderly parents move, so we are also going non-traditional this time - but our plans include ordering the "Thanksgiving Farmhouse Feast" from Bob Evans takeout! Sounds pretty sad compared to prime rib and yorkshire pudding, LOL ;)

Archived