Holland America Line lover wants to try Oceania

mvkor

Hello to everybody,

I am Holland America Line lover (especially their R class ships).

Have sailed on Azamara twice and also liked it (except that the cabins and balconies are quite small, and the shower is too small).

But now I am thinking about trying Regatta for Alaska 14 days cruise from June 6, 2013.

What do you think - will I enjoy cruise on board Regatta (planning to book veranda cabin)?

What is making Oceania special?

How is the condition of Regatta?

Thank you very much to everybody!

Azamara cabins are the same size as Oceania R-ships

So if you found the cabin, showers were small on Azamara ships

it will be small on O ships

The Regatta decor maybe more upgraded from what I have read about the Azamara ships

If you want to try Oceania maybe try one of the new ships the cabins are bigger

Lyn

Lyn is correct, the Regatta and Azamara cabins and showers are pretty much the same. There is a comedian that makes the rounds on the cruises and has a bit about the small showers and the curtains.... Now if you were to try a PH (we haven't yet) either on an upsell or on purpose, things might be different. We haven't had a problem with the Nautica or Regatta veranda cabin sizes, but, shhh, we purposely reserved the A level cabins at aft of the ships. Those verandas are wonderful! We're trying the Riviera next but are concerned that we will miss our R ship experiences.

I have sailed HAL a few times and Oceania once. There is absolutely no comparison between the 2 lines. I always have enjoyed my HAL cruises but my Oceania cruise was beyond amazing. I didn't find the cabin too small but I was the only person using it. The bathroom was smallish but again it was fine(I had a C1 cabin on the Regatta). The service is wonderful and the food is great too. The thing I liked about the service is the crew was attentive and worked very hard to make sure I had absolutely everything I needed or wanted. But, unlike HAL, they didn't behave as indentured servants. That just gave me a happier feeling and I didn't spend time feeling bad about asking for something or wanting to offer to help. One big difference is the specialty restaurants are free and have absolutely delicious food. Oceania also provides you with bottled water, juices, pop, specialty coffees etc all at no additional costs. There are no formal nights, dinner is open seating and there aren't loud activities all around the ship. Oceania is jut a very nice way to cruise.

Oh and the Regatta is in beautiful shape. I know she is older but the condition I saw were of an elegant ship.

I posted a similar question on the HAL board a month or so ago...we too love HAL, taking our third cruise in 19 months in the spring with HAL, but we've booked a 2014 cruise on Oceania too. Do a search on the HAL board and you can find my thread. Many people raved about the food on O, and many mentioned that price-wise O is more expensive (except Hawaiidan, who differs in opinion. It will be fun comparing the 2 lines, won't it?

Archived