Water Island

Spanky My

I have been over there for the day. There is a ferry that leaves from St. Thomas several times a day and costs $10 per person round trip. If you were on a cruise ship you would probably want to be on either the 12:15 or 2:15 to return to St. Thomas. It is a small island. Most people get around with golf carts although cars are allowed. We went to a beach (I believe it was called Honeymoon). We walked to it from the ferry dock, but caught a ride back with someone when we returned to the ferry dock. The beach was not crowded at all the day we were there. I believe they have a food truck that comes to the beach for a couple hours each day with burgers and some drinks. I would consider going there again on a cruise ship but we usually ferry over to St. John for the day.

WICO dock is about a 15 minute taxi ride from Crown Bay Marina, where you would catch the ferry to Water Island. Depending upon the number of ships in port with you, traffic can be horrible and you can easily double that travel time to Crown Bay - make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to catch the ferry back and then taxi over to WICO. For ships docking at Crown Bay Pier (across the road from the Marina), the ferry is an easy 5-10 minute walk.

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is lovely, although as a previous poster mentioned, is often visited by ships' excursions and can get crowded.

Have fun!

We have been to Honeymoon Beach via the water taxi from Crown Bay. It is very quiet there. When we arrived at the beach we were the only ones there. There are no lounge chairs...we just sat on our beach towels. After a while a ship's excursion arrived on one of those pirate ships. Then it got less quiet. However, a few small food/drink stands came and opened up. We took our own food and drink purchased at a little store near the water taxi stop at Crown bay. If I go again I would probably just purchase food and drink at Honeymoon beach to save carrying our food over.

If you want a quiet beach with few facilities, this is the beach for you.

In port from 7am - 6pm. Would like to spend a few hours at Honeymoon Beach with family of 8 (3 kids). Any suggestions on anything to do once we return to St.Thomas? Maybe something the kids would enjoy (besides coral world) another beach maybe? We plan on taking the ferry.

Where can I find the information where our ship docks at each port?

Carnival generally docks at Havensight. You will have to get transportation to Crown Bay Marina, take the ferry, walk to the beach, hang out, eat a delicious Heidi burger, play in the water, walk back, etc. I can't imagine having a relaxing day if you tried to cram something else in. The ferry doesn't run very frequently.

Carnival generally docks at Havensight. You will have to get transportation to Crown Bay Marina, take the ferry, walk to the beach, hang out, eat a delicious Heidi burger, play in the water, walk back, etc. I can't imagine having a relaxing day if you tried to cram something else in. The ferry doesn't run very frequently.

Thanks for your response :) How far is Havensight from the ferry at Crown Bay?

There is Joes beach bar for drinks. Heidis for burgers. Paddle boarding & snorkeling with the Virgin Islands Paddle Club. They offer excursions, rentals and lessons. The beach is great and not crowded. The ferry ride is great and you really feel like you are getting away to your own private island :) the ferry leeaves from crown bay marina. $10 round trip per person:)

We were there last April and enjoyed it very much until the party boats came around lunch time. Then we left as the crowds and the drinking took over. We actually spent our honeymoon on Water Island over 30 years ago and wanted to see how it had changed. Needless to say, even though it was still a pretty beach, it had changed a lot!

Hokie: EVERYTHING has changed in the last 30 years!:D

But I do agree that Water Island is a better value for people docking at Crown Bay than Havensight. For SomewhereBeyondTheSea (why do I feel like breaking out in song?;)), with 8 people, it would be quite and undertaking.

Archived