Unlimited Internet Coming to Carnival!

:) I just reread what I typed and now can see how you had this question.

a more clear explanation might help LOL.

The internet package being $40 and the call from the room rate of 1.99 per minute could equal out to the same price of $40 for 20 minutes of call time.

If we use the internet package = $40 for unlimited internet calls through Skype longer and more frequent I think we would get more "bang" for our buck so to speak and the confidence we don't have to time calls home on the phone to avoid having an astronomical phone bill.

It seems as though the unlimited internet might be a better choice if we can use Skype if not I am thinking just calling home once or twice and limiting the time on the phone will be the option we choose.

Skype is actually not going to work real well on the satellite internet. The latency will make most online conversations range from frustrating to painful. Expect long delays in conversation, weird artifacts in audio/video.

(Source: I used to work for a satellite internet provider and these are just limitations of the technology. Satellite internet is great for streaming videos but not for two-way time sensitive communication)

They had the unlimited packages on Fantasy last week too. Great for those who need/want to stay in constant contact, but too pricey for us. All we'd probably do is check Facebook and post to Instagram!

Skype is actually not going to work real well on the satellite internet. The latency will make most online conversations range from frustrating to painful. Expect long delays in conversation, weird artifacts in audio/video.

(Source: I used to work for a satellite internet provider and these are just limitations of the technology. Satellite internet is great for streaming videos but not for two-way time sensitive communication)

I used Skype last week on the Magic using the 1 MB/sec cheap plan for $55.99. It worked pretty good.

I'm hoping that we'll see it on the Dream Saturday. I'd love to be able to take an entire week with no contact but that is not my reality. Oh the woes of a small business owner! ;)

Unless they decide to put it back, they tried it out last year and went back to by the minute the first of the year.

Good luck to you though.

Hope you get lucky.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
K, so if I purchase the weeklong premium pass, is it usable on multiple devices?

ie have a phone and then if needed to do little more a tablet?

Yes. DD and I both used our ipads. Just couldn't log on at the same time.

I used Skype last week on the Magic using the 1 MB/sec cheap plan for $55.99. It worked pretty good.

That's the package that you can have only 1 device right?

We leave on the Magic is 22 days (but I'm not counting..teehee), and want to get a package so I can stay in some kind of contact with my kids... they are staying with my Mom...we've never cruised without them and this would be a great way to do it....:)

Thanks!

OMG! Unlimited internet - WOW

I can just see it now. A dutiful CCer can now do real live reports all day long! Yippee!

Day 1

Embarkation was quick

Went right to the Lido deck for lunch

Wow, this sure is a beautiful ship, and I've got 7 whole days to explore it and report back to you all

My interior cabin was ready right on time and my bags were already there!

This internet works great

My room service dinner tasted wonderful - (I'm uploading pics now)

This internet still works great

Day 2

Room service Breakfast was terrific. (I'm uploading pics now)

Room service Lunch was divine. (pics coming)

WOW you really can't get tired of these room service dinners. (I have 235 pics of the lobster - it will take time to upload)

Finally saw the ship tonight. Sorry, not really, but the pics of her on the internet are truely amazing.

Day 3.......Day 4................... Day 5.........................

:):D

Edited by DirtyDawg

OMG! Unlimited internet - WOW

I can just see it now. A dutiful CCer can now do real live reports all day long! Yippee!

Day 1

Embarkation was quick

Went right to the Lido deck for lunch

Wow, this sure is a beautiful ship, and I've got 7 whole days to explore it and report back to you all

My interior cabin was ready right on time and my bags were already there!

This internet works great

My room service dinner tasted wonderful - (I'm uploading pics now)

Day 2

Room service Breakfast was terrific. (I'm uploading pics now)

Room service Lunch was divine. (pics coming)

WOW you really can't get tired of these room service dinners. (I have 235 pics of the lobster - it will take time to upload)

Finally saw the ship tonight. Sorry, not really, but the pics of her on the internet are truely amazing.

Day 3.......Day 4................... Day 5.........................

:):D

dripping with sarcasm and subtle jabs......loved it!:)

On the Carnival Magic from 3/24-3/31 out of Galveston, I purchased the "one device at a time" internet package for $50 or so. It was the best $ I spent all week.

I was able to use an app called Hey Tell to send short voice messages back and forth to my BF, essentially being able to "talk" to him without using expensive phone calls or international roaming fees. When I was online, there wasn't any issues with slow loading pages or delay. It was fast, even though it was marketed as the slower connection.

Many of you are saying, "I don't want internet... I want to be on vacation and unavailable." That's great... For you. But I would have been miserable if I was not able to talk to him all week. So for me, it was fantastic.

A couple that was traveling with us had to leave early due to a family issue, and they were able to use my phone at dinner to check flights out of Jamaica. We also used it to post reminders for people at home that were taking care of the pets, houses, etc.

If I did it again, I would rather spend $50 for unlimited internet all week instead of FTTF. Much better deal TO ME.

Just got the official word from Carnival - hope this helps:

We cannot predict which ships will be pilot testing the new internet programs. Carnival has been testing these enhancements on different ships for short periods of time but the overall program is not ready for full deployment. The majority of the Carnival ships are currently offering the same internet prices as listed in the current program and in the FAQs on
. The prices can vary from cruise to cruise based on time of year, satellite availability, itinerary, and ship size. At this time, the program is still being tested so pricing and plan details are not finalized.

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard!

Clear as mud now!

• 2 weeks later...
Just off the Dream last week and I had the 39.99 slow package..it worked okay...for what I needed...checking facebook...news sites....email..on my ipad...it was slow...but for that price slow was okay...as long as I could stay connected:D

Now...hoping they will have it on the Glory in June!!

Please come back and let us know if they do have the packages available on the Glory. We are sailing on her in November and a couple of us will probably need to be connected to work....at least some. :eek:

Thanks

Glory had unlimited last week ($56 for slow, $135 for fast.). The daily Fun Times didn't mention it had unlimited Internet. I noticed that because the first day's paper in the past has always mentioned receiving bonus minutes if you buy a bulk package that day.

I usually always spend about $80 for a bulk minute package, so I bought the slow unlimited plan. Most of the time it was much slower than I've ever experienced on a ship. Painfully slow even while just trying to send and receive text emails. However the unlimited plan was useful because I was able to look up things throughout the week I wouldn't have wasted my minutes on.

Just because Glory had it last week doesn't mean they will have it any other week.