EPIC Family Adventure 11.24.12

crusinmama06

Aren't we a bit touchy. I agree this is an open forum and it is perfectly ok to post and exchange info. I've just witnessed many threads that get sidetracked on parenting issues, etc and was afraid that may happen when I mentioned that I felt that the ice bar and murder mystery were not appropriat for children. Sorry you didn't understand that in CC rules they ask that we don't hijack threads, that was my ONLY point! I did not mean by the comment that I wanted to have personal communication with the OP. I look forward to her review and opinions. She is an awesome contributor on this board and I've tended to agree with many of her observations in regard to kids programs on NCL as well as other cruise lines

Welcome home Debbie

I enjoyed your posting about your cruise because I too am interested in any changes from my last Epic cruise. We board in just over 2 months.

I hope you write a full review here when you have time. As an Epic veteran, I would love to hear more.

Welcome home Debbie

I enjoyed your posting about your cruise because I too am interested in any changes from my last Epic cruise. We board in just over 2 months.

I hope you write a full review here when you have time. As an Epic veteran, I would love to hear more.

I will absolutely write a review, I love the Epic and had a fabulous time. I am headed home tomorrow. Staying with family in Florida tonight. Will give my insights hopefully by midweek

I'm looking forward to your review, Michelle.

I was just on the Epic for "Jersey Week", the first week of November, this year. It had just completed a trans-Atlantic, and we had a lot of new crew members as they were transitioning from a more European-geared flavour to a more American-geared flavor... so to speak.

I loved the Cruise Director, Richard Abreu (aka "Papichulo")... He had to have been the CD for the Barcelona-crowd.

I have some good and bad opinions about the ship itself, but I can't wait to hear your viewpoints.

Hello Crusinmama

I am new here just wanted to say that I am looking forward to your review. I have been lurking on the site for a while now but just finally registered today and you have always been a great source of information, your reviews are great love your writing style. Hope you and your family are having an amazing time on your cruise.

Subscribing to this. :) Excited to read your review of the Epic! We board at the end of January and I can't wait!!!

Hope you are having a great time with your family!

Come join our roll call. We have a great group going on the 26th of January.

Here is the link to our roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1627085

I hope it works.

Hi all - we're baaaack!

To answer a previous question - our edocs said Terminal C but our haven tour was to meet/check in at terminal B.

;)

And about the "new kids club".

I will have more to say about it when I get back home and get everything scanned/organized but my overall opinion of THIS sailing.

My oldest - 12 years old LOVED the kids crew. She had a great time and she "Gangnam Styled" her heart out. She was in the 10-12 group and they were separated from anyone else because there were so many.

My 8 year old - who USUALLY needs to be dragged kicking and screaming from the club called me EVERY night to come get her. The routine - we would drop her off between 7pm and 8pm and by 9pm we would have a phone call that she wanted out. The reasons varied - they said she was tired. (She would stay up with us until 1am after we picked her up). One time she got hit in the face with a dodgeball (she said a boy kept hitting all of the girls in the face with the ball - when we went to drop her off the next day the counselor told her "If things get rough in the game - then just stand next to one of the kids crew members" I was thinking - if things get rough in the game then why don't they stop it from getting rough?

But as I have said before - different counselors can make or break an experience with a kids' club. My oldest had a great experience. My youngest - not so much. But we know not to judge the entire Norwegian kids crew based on this week because both girls had a phenomenal experience with Gems' kids crew.

I have the Splash Academy Pages to scan later when we get back.

We signed up for the club on the first day. The kids get a bracelet to wear ($5.00 to replace if your child loses it)

To check in/out - you need your child's card, your card and a password. The younger group (and anyone with a special need) gets a phone.

They do open on the first night

92313ED4.jpg

862FCBF2.jpg

A6C72163.jpg

2ED84EDF.jpg

7A7A61D8.jpg

My daughter (9 at the time) wasn't into the kid's program. She said the program was "too structured", and there wasn't really any time for open play where they could enjoy all the neat things in the kid's center. Not sure if this has changed or not.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Looking forward to reading your full review. Just a question. You mentioned your edocs said Terminal C however your Haven check in was at Terminal B. Was this just a special tour or are all Haven suite guests suppose to check in at Terminal B? My edocs say Terminal C and I don't want to be at the wrong terminal...:eek: Thank you.

we are just back from the same cruise with our 4 kids - ages 3, 4, 8, and 11. We did not get phones for our 3 and 4 year old, so if there was any problem, there was no way for them to contact us. however, when you check in, they do ask you where you're going to be. But seriously, if there was some issue, I doubt they would have sent someone down to something like Legends in Concert to come and find us!

Our background: in the past 14 months, we have been on Allure of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Disney Dream, and now the Epic (also our first time on NCL).

The kids really enjoyed the kids program on the Epic for the most part (had a few issues with the 4 year old not wanting to stay, but for no apparent reason like cruisinmama's daughter). My son, age 8, did have a few boys in his group that were rough, and one who my son described as "having anger issues" (I asked him about the dodgeball incident, but I think it was even another kid that was doing that!). We tried to report these situations, as one kid turned out to be a real bully, but nothing ever really came of it. We just told our son to steer clear of that kid.

From most of the other parents I talked to, the timing seemed to be a general issue with the kids club. For example, the kids club was closed nearly every evening from 5 to 7pm. We wanted to take the 8 and 11 year old to Cirque Dreams, but they can't eat dinner at 9pm. However, the only other time was 5:45, and the kids club was unavailable to drop off the younger ones. Luckily, on the St. Thomas day (only), the kids club happened to be open during the evening hours, so we had to rearrange all our other plans/reservations to do Cirque on Wednesday. Not the end of the world, but a little bit annoying.

Similarly, we wanted to see Legends in Concert at 7pm. Kids club doesn't open until 7pm. Kids didn't want to see the show because they're not familiar with those singers. We just lined up at 6:50 to drop off the kids and then ran down to the show, which they were nice enough to let us in after it started (I dont' think they were supposed to).

And yes, I know we could have taken the later show, but that would mean leaving the younger ones at the club until at least 10pm, and they just can't make it up that late.

So while there was definitely a lot of kid-friendly things to do (like the water slides and some shows...and the freestyle was a definite plus), if you have younger children, it was just a little hard to coordinate the nighttime entertainment. On Royal Caribbean, the kids club was also closed from 5 to 7, but you could arrange for your kids to eat with the kids club (at no extra fee) during that time. That worked well for us, as we could eat a not-very-late dinner and go see a show, and still pick them up before they were completely overdone.

I did speak to the youth staff and they had mentioned that they had to change the schedule this way because people would literally drop their kids off at 9am and not come back for them all day. This way, kids have to be picked up for lunch and dinner. But for the rest of us who hang with our kids all day and want to still do something in the evening (not too late), it doesn't really work so well.

we are just back from the same cruise with our 4 kids - ages 3, 4, 8, and 11. We did not get phones for our 3 and 4 year old, so if there was any problem, there was no way for them to contact us. however, when you check in, they do ask you where you're going to be. But seriously, if there was some issue, I doubt they would have sent someone down to something like Legends in Concert to come and find us!

Our background: in the past 14 months, we have been on Allure of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Disney Dream, and now the Epic (also our first time on NCL).

The kids really enjoyed the kids program on the Epic for the most part (had a few issues with the 4 year old not wanting to stay, but for no apparent reason like cruisinmama's daughter). My son, age 8, did have a few boys in his group that were rough, and one who my son described as "having anger issues" (I asked him about the dodgeball incident, but I think it was even another kid that was doing that!). We tried to report these situations, as one kid turned out to be a real bully, but nothing ever really came of it. We just told our son to steer clear of that kid.

From most of the other parents I talked to, the timing seemed to be a general issue with the kids club. For example, the kids club was closed nearly every evening from 5 to 7pm. We wanted to take the 8 and 11 year old to Cirque Dreams, but they can't eat dinner at 9pm. However, the only other time was 5:45, and the kids club was unavailable to drop off the younger ones. Luckily, on the St. Thomas day (only), the kids club happened to be open during the evening hours, so we had to rearrange all our other plans/reservations to do Cirque on Wednesday. Not the end of the world, but a little bit annoying.

Similarly, we wanted to see Legends in Concert at 7pm. Kids club doesn't open until 7pm. Kids didn't want to see the show because they're not familiar with those singers. We just lined up at 6:50 to drop off the kids and then ran down to the show, which they were nice enough to let us in after it started (I dont' think they were supposed to).

And yes, I know we could have taken the later show, but that would mean leaving the younger ones at the club until at least 10pm, and they just can't make it up that late.

So while there was definitely a lot of kid-friendly things to do (like the water slides and some shows...and the freestyle was a definite plus), if you have younger children, it was just a little hard to coordinate the nighttime entertainment. On Royal Caribbean, the kids club was also closed from 5 to 7, but you could arrange for your kids to eat with the kids club (at no extra fee) during that time. That worked well for us, as we could eat a not-very-late dinner and go see a show, and still pick them up before they were completely overdone.

I did speak to the youth staff and they had mentioned that they had to change the schedule this way because people would literally drop their kids off at 9am and not come back for them all day. This way, kids have to be picked up for lunch and dinner. But for the rest of us who hang with our kids all day and want to still do something in the evening (not too late), it doesn't really work so well.

Please send a letter to NCL in regard to this strange new closing thing with the Kids Club. I'm on a bit of a crusade to let NCL know how inconvenient this new time thing is. I say please punish those that abused, not all the other parents. My thoughts are it may happen once and then that family is never allowed to drop kid off at the club the remainder of the cruise. Problem solved!

We're also just back today. We arrived home about two hours ago and are now fed and unpacked (laundry starts tomorrow!). We are both in our mid-50s and have no kids, so I'll try and add an 'oldie's' opinion where possible.

Is it perfect, heavens, no, but is it Epic? I guess you'll find out.

I'll also try to address some of the comments I've read on this board and the first one I can confirm is that all the crew and all the passengers are NOT rude!!

I can also speak for how they handle sickness. Not me, I hasten to add, but a friend of mine also on the cruise. However, more later. After a day of travel, my bed is calling!!

NJLVW - no, if you are in the Haven, then follow what your edocs say. We asked for a special tour. Unfortunately, we didn't have a Haven suite for the rest of the cruise.

meab - I am so surprised that they didn't offer you a phone. They said we needed one for our youngest. She has special needs. But she is not severe at all. But on Gem when I asked for one they said we wouldn't need one and they were right - we didn't. I think that Gem has it all worked out more so than Epic.

And as far as the scheduling - I don't have a problem with the shut down. We are used to that. We like our girls to have their meals with us. What I had a HUGE problem with in regards to the scheduling - and this led to many problems (and a few tears)

1. The kids crew would tell the 8 year old - "Don't forget to come back tonight for trash bag fashion show!" - and all through dinner my youngest begged and begged and bothered and pestered us to go to "Trash Bag Fashion Show" - then we race to get her there - she actually stays one night until 10:30 and when I pick her up she says "I am NEVER going back there again!" Um, what happened? "They promised us trash bag fashion show and we never did it!" And then from the mouth of my 12 year old "um, we did that"

Much crying and whining from a very tired and frustrated 8 year old.

2. And NCL isn't the only cruise line to do this. They need to read their own daily and don't compete with their own family activities!

---The girls trained for the "Circus" all day in the kids club only to be pulled out at 4pm for "Family Cup Cake Decorating" -- As parents, we don't know that they were "just about to perform a circus when we pulled them out" But the kids crew counselors do. They are at both events. They do this every week. They *could* change it up a little so that the circus doesn't interfere with another family event.

3. And this was MY fault. I will never book entertainment in advance again. All of the entertainment that we had booked in advance interfered with things like the "pirate parade", "family splash party" and heaven forbid the "family white hot party". Again - not Norwegian's fault. There is soooo much to do on this ship. The Entertainment will keep you running from sun up to sun down. We never go to shows. And on this ship - we couldn't get enough of them. More on that later.

So our home for the week - extended balcony cabin 12072

497BBC6D.jpg

07E6B5AD.jpg

95745A21.jpg

E423C7F7.jpg

4405F540.jpg

88FC8DE4.jpg

Wow Michelle, I didn't realize you were almost our neighbor! Our friends were in 12074 and we were in 12076!!

Yep! We did have magnets on our door for the first couple of days but they magically started to walk away so we had to bring them back into the cabin. So if anyone knows the whereabouts of a blue fish and an orange sea horse - please let me know.

So let's get this party started - time to sail away! Where else can you party with Spongebob and Patrick?

1FB19B1C.jpg

8EC39621.jpg

Hit the Aqua Park with new friends

0AC60998.jpg

And then head to dinner in a Manhattan Dinner club with a live band.

C3B281BA.jpg

6B7F5C16.jpg

Our menu for the evening using IConcierge (the Norwegian Smart Phone App)

DE4465F6.jpg

NJLVW - no, if you are in the Haven, then follow what your edocs say. We asked for a special tour. Unfortunately, we didn't have a Haven suite for the rest of the cruise.

meab - I am so surprised that they didn't offer you a phone. They said we needed one for our youngest. She has special needs. But she is not severe at all. But on Gem when I asked for one they said we wouldn't need one and they were right - we didn't. I think that Gem has it all worked out more so than Epic.

And as far as the scheduling - I don't have a problem with the shut down. We are used to that. We like our girls to have their meals with us. What I had a HUGE problem with in regards to the scheduling - and this led to many problems (and a few tears)

1. The kids crew would tell the 8 year old - "Don't forget to come back tonight for trash bag fashion show!" - and all through dinner my youngest begged and begged and bothered and pestered us to go to "Trash Bag Fashion Show" - then we race to get her there - she actually stays one night until 10:30 and when I pick her up she says "I am NEVER going back there again!" Um, what happened? "They promised us trash bag fashion show and we never did it!" And then from the mouth of my 12 year old "um, we did that"

Much crying and whining from a very tired and frustrated 8 year old.

2. And NCL isn't the only cruise line to do this. They need to read their own daily and don't compete with their own family activities!

---The girls trained for the "Circus" all day in the kids club only to be pulled out at 4pm for "Family Cup Cake Decorating" -- As parents, we don't know that they were "just about to perform a circus when we pulled them out" But the kids crew counselors do. They are at both events. They do this every week. They *could* change it up a little so that the circus doesn't interfere with another family event.

3. And this was MY fault. I will never book entertainment in advance again. All of the entertainment that we had booked in advance interfered with things like the "pirate parade", "family splash party" and heaven forbid the "family white hot party". Again - not Norwegian's fault. There is soooo much to do on this ship. The Entertainment will keep you running from sun up to sun down. We never go to shows. And on this ship - we couldn't get enough of them. More on that later.

So our home for the week - extended balcony cabin 12072

---

Michele, we found this the same on the Allure. Our youngest was excited about something scheduled at the kids club and then many times they didn't do it. She lost interest after a couple of days. We also found that pre-booking shows often conflicted with other entertainment that we wanted to do with the kids so a couple of time we switched times or skipped them. I don't think the issues you mentioned above are exclusive to NCL.

Glad you had a great time .. I look forward to hearing more.

How did you like the cabin and the different bathroom setup??

We were also in the Manhattan Room on Saturday and the menu above is wrong. There was no red snapper with the lobster (I know, I ate SEVEN tails!).

I found the app to be extremely inaccurate. Not least the fact that the clock was wrong all the time, but many of the activities did not coincide with the facts. For example, the Texas Hold'Em tournament was listed as starting at 11am and it actually started at 4pm! In fairness, this was wrong in the Day 1 Freestyle Daily as well.

I think if I look close enough at the sailaway picture I can find myself at the Waves Bar!

I was travelling in a studio and the only thing I prebooked was the Blue Man group. Booked everything else on board, as a group of us would go down and see when we could get in. Did Cirque the last night, decided to join 3 others that booked earlier in the week. Booked that Friday afternoon on my tv.

Had a great time and met a lot of nice, non rude passengers and crew members.

Livabeth, interesting you mention that about the kids club on Allure. We found that they always did what they said they were going to do. On this cruise, we found a lot of hoopla about certain things that sort of fizzled. For example, on the pirate night, I was under the impression they were doing some sort of scavenger hunt (we have seen that on other lines), but was concerned as even the youngest age group was included in that. However, it turned out to just be a pirate "parade" where they walked through the buffet looking for "stinky pete". The older kids thought it was pretty lame and not quite as cool as they made it out to be.

re: phones. we had the wave phones on disney dream and never used them (except when we went out and left the youngest in the nursery). same on royal - we got dect phones while the baby was in the nursery. otherwise, i don't like to be bound by a phone on vacation. however, i can understand if your child has special needs (or needs their diaper changed on NCL! they were still taking 2 year olds).

otherwise: looking forward to reading everyone's take on this cruise. i will have to write up my own review as well!

Archived