spa treatment on Regatta

Acrusa

Are spa treatments cheaper on port days?

I had a spa treatment on Regatta on a port day and the rate was somewhat discounted.

Regardless whether you have a spa treatment on a port day or other day, please be very aware of the charges and that your bill is correct. Although there is a gratuity (18%, perhaps?) automatically added on top of the massage fee, the massage therapist printed it all above the gratuity line, so that it appeared she was not getting a tip. As I was drowsy, I added a tip, then noticed later that I had double-tipped her (again, an extremely average massage, nothing unusually good or bad about it).

When we (accountant-husband and myself) realized the scam (no way to call it anything other than what it was), I contacted the office to have the charge removed, which it was, and suggested that some change of procedure/retraining occur. Who knows if there has been a change?

I am a very generous tipper when it is unexpected and the service warrants it, but I strongly object to sneaky behavior in order to get more money out of passengers, shoppers, etc.

So check your massage statement carefully.

It is also added to shop purchases & drink purchases

I have never encountered a gratuity on a merchandise purchase in the shops before. This will be a first. Are you sure?

hotelnerd

It is probably tax or service charge

The 18% added to drinks is listed as tax & Gratuities on the chit

but I strongly object to sneaky behavior in order to get more money out of passengers,.

I would have thought that it would be almost impossible to manipulate electronic tills

these days , short of tugging the print out at the vital moment.

If this has happened Oceania should do something about it. :confused:

I think these threads are read by Oceania... if so my comment is this; I had a wonderful massage in the spa as a birthday treat while on my cruise (Regatta). No complaints with the massage BUT there was no background music so all I heard was the air-conditioner.

Just saying... maybe worth looking into.

I would have thought that it would be almost impossible to manipulate electronic tills

Very simple to manipulate electronic tills as you call them simply by programing the machine to provide incorrect receipts. For instance where I live, sales tax can only be charged on actual payments by the customer and all coupons are deducted before taxes are supposed to be calculated. Many stores and restaurants are incorrectly programmed to calculate the tax on the full amount prior to the coupon or buy one get one free offer. When questioning personnel, their only response is that's the way the computer puts it out and we have to pay the incorrect amount which in reality is simply extra unearned profit.

Have yet to be on Oceania however, have NEVER had an additional charge added to any shop on board purchase as there are no taxes on the high seas so if anything is added, is probably done thru the computer in error.

It has been a couple of years since I have been on Oceania so maybe I am mistaken about an added tax on the shop purchases.... I will find out in March ;)

In some stores here the tax is added on the full price when they have a BOGO offer but it is noted in the small print of the ad ...may be different in the USA

When I have used the Spa services they print out the price of the service then the 18% amount then there is a line (just like on restaurant bills) to add a gratuity if you choose (some people do) then the Total line

If you do not wish to add additional amounts just put a zero in the spot for gratuity or just put the total on the bottom line then sign the chit

Easy peasy...no subterfuge

As O & R stated

As I was drowsy, I added a tip, then noticed later that I had double-tipped her

Just read the chit before signing;)

Do you hand over your credit card in a restaurant or shop without checking the total before signing or now entering your PIN :confused:

Lyn

Archived