How can I get to the Natural swimming pool in Isle of Pines?

Shame your ship does not have a tour there. I think P&O do one?

Its known locally as the ......

Piscine Naturelle

and is ranked #1 of 5 attractions in Ile Des Pins on Trip Advisor.

Sounds nice.

When I first heard about it , I thought it was a pool for Naturalists ... :eek::D:D

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298359-d1497768-Reviews-Piscine_Naturelle-Ile_Des_Pins.html

The locals offer a tour but it doesn't go as far as the Natural Aquarium. There is very little transport available on the Isle of Pines. I have occasionally seen a taxi, but not on every visit.

Maybe if you went into the closest resort or the restaurant they might be able to phone for a taxi for you. I heard of someone who went to the Natural Aquarium by taxi and arranged for the driver to return at a set time to pick them up - and he did. I would be worried that I could be left stranded when there isn't much transport available.

there are locals who provide their personal cars/vans for tourists to hire. At least there was when we were there in June.

Just walk around the harbour to the stalls area close to where the tender drops off. Plenty of locals waiting for the PAX there!

I assume you would be able to work out some private transport with some one. But I wouldn't pay them until you were safely dropped back afterwards to the tender area!

It would be horrific to get stranded!

I guess I will have to play it by ear and see if I can get a tour on the wharf, thanks :) at least I have some hope that this might happen if others have found locals to transport them.

edited to add I was unsuccessful last time I was there though.

I guess I will have to play it by ear and see if I can get a tour on the wharf, thanks :) at least I have some hope that this might happen if others have found locals to transport them.

edited to add I was unsuccessful last time I was there though.

The locals used to do a tour to the Natural Aquarium, but when P&O negotiated and offered it as a shore excursion, the locals stopped offering it. I don't know if they will have it available when a ship calls that doesn't have this tour on its list.

These guys are based in Noumea, however, they are now doing a tour to the Natural Aquarium on Isle de Pines.

They are on FB and have reviews on Tripadviser and have a positive P&O following.

NouméaShore Tours Gateaway Tours

https://www.facebook.com/noumeashoretours.gateawaytours?fref=ts

Mobile Phones

+687 75.45.92

+687 96.69.14

+687 43.01.82

Address

72 rue clemen pk7

98846 Nouméa, New Caledonia

Email

noumeashoretours.gateawaytours@facebook.com

Earlier this month we tried to negotiate with the van drivers at the back of the markets to go to other places other than the tours offered.

They would NOT budge on the standard 1-2 hour tours which we thought were overpriced. Don't go expecting to get to somewhere else other than what is offered.

Did not see any taxis, so we walked to bay of jinek where the reef and fish were plentiful. You will need reef shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Approximately a year ago we ventured out on our own on the Isle of Pines. P&O at that time had tours but only for adults and children over 8 y/o. There were 5 of us including a 7 y/o and a 3 y/o.

We were lucky to find a van for hire near the restaurant. We had to wait for 3 more passengers. The charge was $20 for each except $10 for the 3 y/o. The drive to the Natural Aquarium took about 15-20 minutes. The driver did not speak English but one of the passengers knew some french. We paid only 1/2 the fare at drop-off and the rest at pick-up. Initially he said that he would return in 45 minutes, but we talked him into giving us 1 hour.

The walk to the NA took about 10-15 minutes (with the children). The little one had to be carried and the older one walked most of the way. The water was more than knee deep for her in one area and she was also carried over 10 meters or so.

The driver was punctual and we paid the balance of the fee. It worked out well for us. It would have been nice if we could have stayed a bit longer. We understood that he was ferrying several parties back and forth.

Emi

Yay thanks again Deb I have booked the following tour:

GRAND ISLE OF PINES TOUR

Join us on this very comprehensive tour that will allow you to discover the main local landmarks of the island such as:

*The cave of Queen Hortense- a historical site surrounded by lush vegetation

*The prisons ruins of Mo- a heritage site where 3000 revolutionaries were exiled in 1872

*The church of Our Lady of the Assumption

*The Bay of St Maurice surrounded by a palisade of poles carved by all the tribes,

*The Bay of St Joseph- a site where many traditional pirogues are constructed

*The Bay of Oro- a truly legendary place where the famous natural aquarium is to be found. The bay is beautiful and well sheltered from the prevailing winds and it is a snorkeler’s paradise for sure!!

Pick up at 10am from Kuto beach, return 3pm

Bring snorkeling gears and sunscreen

Price: 3000 francs/person

We only accept FRANCS for payment of tours. Payment is due on the day you are there at the beginning of the tour.

Feel free to come back to us if you have more questions. please email us at gateawaytoursnc@yahoo.com

Shame your ship does not have a tour there. I think P&O do one?

Its known locally as the ......

Piscine Naturelle

and is ranked #1 of 5 attractions in Ile Des Pins on Trip Advisor.

Sounds nice.

When I first heard about it , I thought it was a pool for Naturalists ... :eek::D:D

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298359-d1497768-Reviews-Piscine_Naturelle-Ile_Des_Pins.html

sounds amazing

• 3 months later...
Yay thanks again Deb I have booked the following tour:

Hi there

Just reading through this older thread and wondering how the trip with gateway tours went. Did you get long to snorkel at piscene naturelle and how did it compare to say Lifou?

Cheers

Archived