Alaska Ship pools

fireman92

Depends on the ship and location of the pools. However you will likely find that on sea days the wind across the deck is sufficiently strong and cold that enjoyment of the pools is questionable and on port days you are busy touring.... pools are just not a big attraction on an Alaskan itinerary.

I've been on 5 Alaskan cruises and have used the pools at least once on each one. Last year when we took my teens, they were in the pools every day. The temperatures of the pools seemed to vary. Sometimes the outdoor pool was warmer, despite the cooler air, and sometimes the indoor pool was warmer. My adult son liked the aft adults-only Terrace pool because there was rarely anyone else there, and he said it was kept quite warm. I like the adult-only spa pool on Princess ships. It is uncovered (on the ships I've been on) but is kept quite warm. Even when it was cool and windy enough that I shivered as soon as I got out of the pool, I was quite warm and comfortable in the pool.

I also do lay out in the sun on Alaskan cruises, when the weather cooperates. I have mostly sailed round-trip out of Seattle in mid-summer, and the first and last days can be quite warm and sunny. I have gotten sunburned twice on AK cruises.

Of course, I live in the Seattle area and I'm used to cool summers. I wear shorts if it's over 60, and 70 is plenty warm enough to sit by the pool. Your tolerance level for cool weather may vary. :D

I don't know about temps since we didn't use them, but on our HAL ship in September, there was rarely anyone using the aft Sea View pool. Our cabin was right under it and it was very quiet. I don't think the lido pool under the dome was used much either. We saw a few people in it over the course of the week, but only 1 or 2 at a time and no more than a handful occupying the deck chairs. No chair hogs on this cruise lol The hot tubs were barely used either and we had pretty good weather the whole week with light rain in Juneau and fog in Sitka. The rest of the week was gorgeous sunny weather but still too cool for me to swim. We did spend most of our time out on our balcony, but mostly we were bundled up.

However, I live in California and the 2 weeks prior to our cruise the temps were between 105f and 110f so the temp difference was very cold to us lol

Archived