Day Trip from Harwich - What Do Your Recommend

The chauffeurs are predominantly students earning money to help pay for their time at University and some punt companies have them wear a uniform consisting of a waistcoat and straw boater hat which is always good for the photos. I also noticed that one punt company gives instructions on their website on how to punt yourself. As I said earlier, if you choose this option I would recommend having a change of clothing with you as I have seen people fall into the water - usually those who don't have the good sense to let go of the pole if it gets stuck in the riverbed! I've even seen people swaying around on the pole in the middle of th river and then land in someone else's boat! Even if you don't want to hire a punt it's certainly worth spending a little time watching others.

Anyway, regarding the light ship, Tourist Information have just given me the owner's telephone number and having spoken to Colin he's happy for me to post his email address:

Colin.crawford1@btconnect.com

I got the feeling that they haven't really figured out their opening times yet but he said that if you email him, and let him know the date and time that you would like access to the ship (a private appointment), he will arrange for someone to meet you and let you on.

Re the fish & chips, are you wanting to go to a restaurant or get takeout fish & chips from a traditional fish & chip shop which you then eat out of the paper wrapping (which, as you rightly say, is no longer printed newspaper!)? I have to confess that I usually go to the Pier, where you are staying, but a lot of people recommend The Ship which is just around the corner and directly behind the Pier Hotel. If you want to try a traditional fish & chip takeout I have got a recommendation but I just need to check their opening times.

Does anyone serve gluten free fish and chips in Harwich?

Hi Bakcd

Unfortunately I can't see one listed at present but it may be worth keeping an eye on this website:

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/gluten-free-directory-596.htm

That said, one of our local pubs, The White Horse at Tattingstone, serves mostly gluten free meals as the Landlord has been diagnosed as a coeliac:

http://www.whitehorsetattingstone.co.uk/restaurant.html

Sadly, I can't actually find the menu online but if you click on the "About Us" tab on the left you will find his email address so you could contact him direct.

To get to Tattingstone you could get the train from Harwich to Manningtree and then hire a taxi to Tattingstone - the taxi ride should take about 15 minutes as the journey is about 6 miles. You should find a taxi outside the station but if you wish to pre-book here are the details for a couple of Manningtree taxi firms:

http://www.manningtreetaxis.co.uk/

http://www.topmarxtaxis.co.uk/

I should stress here that I don't know either of them, I've simply done a Google search for "taxis in Manningtree" and these two are the only two that appear to have a website.

Have a FAB cruise and an excellent lunch.

Edited by Happyboating

Hi Bakcd

I have now spoken to the Pier Hotel in Harwich:

http://www.milsomhotels.com/thepier/restaurants/default.aspx

who tell me that they would be happy to cook you gluten free fish & chips. *Clearly, as you can see from the link, they are a proper restaurant and the prices reflect this fact. *As I said to an earlier poster, the best views are from the upstairs restaurant (for which you pay a premium), as opposed to the downstairs brasserie, but I have just been told that the upstairs restaurant is now closed on a Monday and Tuesday (a very recent decision) so if you are in Harwich on either of those days then going upstairs won't be an option. *You can access both menus from the link above.

When I'm next in Harwich, and investigate the fish & chip shops (hopefully before Easter), I will endeavour to find out if any of them can cater for you - my friends sister-in-law is a coeliac so I shall get her to advise me on exactly what questions to ask although, personally, I feel that you would be safest going to a reputable hotel/restaurant, like the Pier, or a kitchen where gluten free is the norm, like The White Horse, but, clearly, it's your decision - I have visions of someone in a fish & chip shop telling me "yes, I can cater for that" without having any idea what it means and, if they do know, I shall ask why they're not on the list that I posted for you yesterday!

I'll be back again on this subject.....

Hi Bakcd

I have now spoken to the Pier Hotel in Harwich:

http://www.milsomhotels.com/thepier/restaurants/default.aspx

who tell me that they would be happy to cook you gluten free fish & chips. *Clearly, as you can see from the link, they are a proper restaurant and the prices reflect this fact. *As I said to an earlier poster, the best views are from the upstairs restaurant (for which you pay a premium), as opposed to the downstairs brasserie, but I have just been told that the upstairs restaurant is now closed on a Monday and Tuesday (a very recent decision) so if you are in Harwich on either of those days then going upstairs won't be an option. *You can access both menus from the link above.

When I'm next in Harwich, and investigate the fish & chip shops (hopefully before Easter), I will endeavour to find out if any of them can cater for you - my friends sister-in-law is a coeliac so I shall get her to advise me on exactly what questions to ask although, personally, I feel that you would be safest going to a reputable hotel/restaurant, like the Pier, or a kitchen where gluten free is the norm, like The White Horse, but, clearly, it's your decision - I have visions of someone in a fish & chip shop telling me "yes, I can cater for that" without having any idea what it means and, if they do know, I shall ask why they're not on the list that I posted for you yesterday!

I'll be back again on this subject.....

Thank you so much for taking time to research and answer my questions. I will definitely check and bookmark the site you suggested. We will also be in Liverpool the following week. You are correct about the numberous questions, mainly shared vats of oil and cross contamination of materials.

Actually the Pier Hotel sounds like the most likely choice if we can enjoy lunch at noon. I will email the brasserie and see if they can also accommodate my diet. We will be in port on a Monday, May 13 as we are doing the back to back Transatlantic and British Isles. I just believe that fish and chips is something to not be missed even if I have to forgo the malt vinegar.

A nice lunch and walk would make for a good day. If you have suggestions for a leisurely walk or nice gardens, please share.

Thanks again for sharing.

Thank you so much for taking time to research and answer my questions. I will definitely check and bookmark the site you suggested. We will also be in Liverpool the following week. You are correct about the numberous questions, mainly shared vats of oil and cross contamination of materials.

Actually the Pier Hotel sounds like the most likely choice if we can enjoy lunch at noon. I will email the brasserie and see if they can also accommodate my diet. We will be in port on a Monday, May 13 as we are doing the back to back Transatlantic and British Isles. I just believe that fish and chips is something to not be missed even if I have to forgo the malt vinegar.

A nice lunch and walk would make for a good day. If you have suggestions for a leisurely walk or nice gardens, please share.

Thanks again for sharing.

Hi Bakcd

You are very welcome.*

Personally, I would go for a walk along the sea wall to Dovercourt Bay. Opposite the Pier Hotel, just on the actual pier, you will see a little (and I mean "little") round building on the left, that is the Tourist Information Office. The person in there should be able to supply you with a free street map and mark out the route for you.*

I do hope you have a superb lunch - I have to confess that I always go to the Pier Hotel although a lot of people also recommend The Ship:

http://www.theshipatoldharwich.co.uk/

I must try it sometime but clearly not on a Monday or Tuesday as I see that they are closed!

Liverpool is excellent - we stopped there on our Round Britain cruise and we were simply spoilt for choice on what to do. *In fact, I'm now thinking along the lines of booking another British Isles cruise on Infinity. *The ship looks beautiful and I particularly like the look of the SS United States Restaurant which I understand has some original fitments?

I see that Celebrity also have excursions from Harwich to Cambridge and Lavenham. If anyone is going to Lavenham I can recommend the Swan Hotel for lunch:

http://www.theswanatlavenham.co.uk/

As you may be starting to work out, I'm a lady who likes to lunch but, sadly, the dress size shows it!

Enjoy your time in Harwich.*

• 1 month later...

Hi Janet. As you know, we will be in Harwich at the Premier Inn just after you in early September.

Happyboating: Your information has been valuable and we will be using it for our upcoming pre-cruise visit for Harwich & Colchester.

We plan to visit Colchester to see the Roman ruins at the castle, the Roman wall, the Circus, etc. We are aware the Norman Castle, which was built on the foundation of the Temple of Claudius, is under renovation and closed until spring next year. Does anyone know if we can at least get on the castle grounds to see Roman remains that are perhaps visible on the castle outside and on the grounds/in the castle park? Can we walk the castle outside perimeter although we won't be able to get inside to tour?

Happyboating, waggie, or anyone else: If we want to go from Harwich to Colchester, do we go to the Harwich International or Doverscourt train station to catch the train to Colchester?

Any recommendations for Indian restaurants in Harwich? The two mentioned online are Joi Tandoori and Kasturi. Maharani Restaurant in Colchester gets very high ratings on Trip Advisor but appears not to open until 18:00 which we will be back in Harwich by then.

Kathy

Hi Kathy

I have to confess that I'd forgotten about this thread until I received an email this morning showing your post.

Anyway, in answer to your questions, you can catch a train at 33 minutes past the hour from Harwich International to Colchester Station. The journey should take approximately 30 minutes and you will have to change trains at Manningtree. Going to Colchester you will simply have to walk from one side of the platform to the other which is about 12 feet. Going back to Harwich you will actually need to change platforms which will involve going down some steps and then walking through an underpass under the main lines and up again where you will then see your branch line train waiting for you to board.

Here is a map of Colchester:

http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publication/CE/cms/pdf/Town%20centre%20map%202013.pdf

You will see "Colchester Station" at the top left of the map. It's up to you, you can either get into a taxi - which you will find waiting immediately outside as you exit the station - or you could walk into town. Please note though that the walk is up hill. If you are up to walking a pleasant walk is from the back of Leisure World, in Cowdray Avenue, up through Castle Park into town - if you don't fancy negotiating the busy roads from the Station to Leisure World then you could, of course, simply get a taxi to that point although there are crossings for pedestrians.

If you take that option you will start your walk by crossing over the river via one of the bridges. The paths into town are all tarmacked so, apart from the incline it's an easy walk. The local wildlife, mainly squirrels, will most likely greet you along the way in the hope that you have nuts for them - if you want to feed them on the way back there's a pet shop in Eld Lane where you can buy a bag of squirrel food. Some will take the food from your hand although most would prefer you to simply throw it on the ground.

As you will see on the map, there is a red line which looks like it should indicate a railway line - it actually indicates the ruins of the Roman wall. In the park the wall separates the "park" from the formal "gardens". In the summer the gardens are really beautiful and if you have any questions there's a good chance that there'll be a gardener around to speak to.

On the map "Castle Museum" is the Castle - note the tree on the top. Standing with the Castle behind you, if you exit out of the gate on the left, and cross the road, you will find the Tourist Information Centre. Incidentally, if you decide to get a taxi into town, I would suggest asking the driver to drop you off at the Castle. In the Tourist Information Centre you will be able to pick up numerous free brochures and also purchase books or a DVD (they should have some in an American format) detailing the local area. Incidentally, during the summer there's an open deck double decker bus that does a tour around Colchester and you can catch it outside the Castle, opposite the Tourist Information Centre.

Anyway, if you decide to walk around the town, I would suggest walking along the High Street to Balkerne Passage/Balkerne Gate where you will see some more ruins of the wall. You could then continue to Church Walk, across Head Street and into St Isaac's Walk and Eld Lane. There are several "tea shops" along here. The George Hotel in the High Street is also a good place to stop for refreshments - they also have a small courtyard at the back where you can sit outside.

Anyway, from Eld Lane (where the pet shop is) you can cross over Queen Street and then turn left (by the wedding shop) into Priory Street. Once in Priory Street, on your right you should see the entrance into St Botoph's Priory and more ruins. Once you've looked at those I would suggest that you continue walking along Priory Street and, when you reach the end, turn left onto East Hill and then walk back up to the Castle. I think, if you follow this circular route, you will definitely be able to say that you have seen ALL the ruins in the town centre!

I have to confess that when I lived in Colchester I always used to go to Maharani and was very sad when they decided to stay closed at lunch time - I'm not sure why, but most Indian restaurants remain closed during the day now. I'm not familiar with the Indian restaurants in Harwich but I've been to the Mogul in Manningtree which is actually open at lunch time. It's very nice but, be warned, they won't cook a nan at lunch time! My friend who lives in Dovercourt tells me that he's heard a lot of good reports re the Joi but hasn't actually been there himself - I'm not sure that he eats Indian food. In any event, I see from their website that they are only open in the evenings.

I do hope that this further information is of help to you and that you have a FAB time whilst visiting the UK.

Nicky

PS: I should probably have said that the trains from Colchester, back to Harwich International, leave Colchester at 17 minutes past the hour.

Edited by Happyboating
To add PS.

While Colchester Castle itself is shut the Castle park ground are still all open, i would really suggesting spending some time walking around them.

Its worth noting that although the Castle is being revamped it is still at present being used for certain 'one off' events that might be going on while your there. I went to a beer festival there recently which was excellent.

Thank you, Nicky & Riise, for the responses and taking the time to provide detailed information. I plan to aggregate the information into pdf files to put on my iPad Mini to take with me. The map, directions, and recommendations will be very, very handy on my iPad Mini.

We are Roman history/archaeology fans (any ancient but particularly Roman), so we will use all this information and will "study" it in advance. Even though we are disappointed the castle will likely not be open, we are very happy the Castle park grounds are open.

We will be using the detailed walk instructions for our "tour" and appreciate information on how to find Roman remains, where to go for tea shops, about Indian food, and where to find squirrels and squirrel food. Jack agreed we should buy squirrel food and feed the squirrels. We love animals and will be missing our 2 cat boys, so the squirrels will be our pseudo substitutes while in Colchester. Many years ago, we had a semi-squirrel pet who waited for us to come home from work knowing he would get some peanuts. One morning, I caught him starting to jump into my car when we were leaving for work. Maybe he thought we worked at a peanut factory.

We enjoy afternoon tea at home, at Starbucks, and on cruise ships and especially the better-than-most-US-brands tea in England. Do some of the tea shops have free wifi?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the information and all the time you took to post the valuable information that is sure to be used!

Kathy

Hi Kathy

When I lived in Colchester, several years ago, this is the tea room that I used to go to:

http://www.poppys-victorian-tearooms.co.uk/index.php

It was before the days of wi-fi though and as my (now antique) iPad has 3G, I have no reason to make a note of wi-fi spots - sorry. You can always email them and ask if they have it though.

I have also met friends for lunch at The George Hotel in the High Street:

http://www.bespokehotels.com/thegeorgehotel/

I see that they have free wi-fi in the bedrooms but the website doesn't say anything about free wi-fi anywhere else. Again, it may be worth emailing them and asking.

It may also be worth emailing the Tourist Information Office:

http://www.visitcolchester.com/

as they may well know of free wi-fi hotspots around the town. This website lists all the usual outlets:

http://www.wificafespots.com/wifi/city/GB--Colchester

Re the squirrels, only buy one bag of food as, by the afternoon, they are well fed and you may have trouble finding a recipient although if you scatter the food on the ground, around the trees, it certainly won't go to waste. In the morning though, they will almost be jumping on your feet - that's certainly been my experience.

As today is 1 May, the Harwich Foot Ferry starts working for the season and so I can drive down to Shotley and catch it, across the Harbour, to Harwich. I actually like going for the ride to Felixstowe and back as I love the way the ferry lands on the beach there. Sadly, I won't be going this week as I have mundane washing and packing to do as we're going away on Saturday for a week. That said, I'm pleased to report that, on this occasion, as we're going away in our caravan, our two cats will be going with us - they like investigating new areas as much as we do.

Anyway, when I next go across to Harwich I want to go and investigate the Mayflower Project:

http://www.harwichmayflower.com/joomla/

Here is what the BBC have to say about it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22358276

And here is a short video from BBC Look East:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-22361661

Finally, you should be able to get details of the Roman occupation of Colchester, as that is your particular interest, from theTourist Information Centre in Colchester. I guess you've already seen this website:

http://www.camulos.com/virtual/romantrail.htm

You may also find this Channel 4 Time Team Special, on the discovery of a Roman Circus in Colchester, interesting:

This appears to be the latest update on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-18057382

Nicky

Edited by Happyboating

As today is 1 May, the Harwich Foot Ferry starts working for the season and so I can drive down to Shotley and catch it, across the Harbour, to Harwich. I actually like going for the ride to Felixstowe and back as I love the way the ferry lands on the beach there. Sadly, I won't be going this week as I have mundane washing and packing to do as we're going away on Saturday for a week. That said, I'm pleased to report that, on this occasion, as we're going away in our caravan, our two cats will be going with us - they like investigating new areas as much as we do.

Have a great holiday, and thanks for all your info.

I look forward to your recommendations for a traditional fish and chips lunch in Harwich, once you've had a chance to go back... Thanks! :)

Another valuable set of information, Nicky. You have been so helpful. Thanks! I watched 1/2 of the Roman Circus youtube video and will watch the rest later. I read much of the "Camulos" and will read more later. The Camulos Roman Colchester walking tour will be very useful for our Colchester exploration along with the information you provided.

I wonder if the Mayflower Project will expand to include ships that followed. My dh's ancestors came from England to Massachusetts Bay on one of the ships soon after the Mayflower.

Maybe we'll buy peanuts in Harwich for the squirrels to feed on the way to Colchester. Sounds like the squirrels are well feed.

Enjoy your holiday! Very nice for you that you can take your cats on your trip. Our cats are homebodies.

Kathy

Have a great holiday, and thanks for all your info.

I look forward to your recommendations for a traditional fish and chips lunch in Harwich, once you've had a chance to go back... Thanks! :)

Hi Turtles06

Yes, sorry about that! I'm afraid our winter carried on for longer than usual this year so, apart from the fact that I didn't fancy the 45 minute drive to Harwich (along with the cost of diesel!), with the cold temperatures and strong winds that we've had, it wouldn't have been pleasant walking around either!

My friend who lives in Dovercourt recommends Mr Chips and the "map" tab on this link shows you where to find them:

http://www.fishandchipfinder.co.uk/search_results.php?directory_id=4036

I have discovered from another website that they are only open in the evenings though! You will also see that this link shows all the other "nearby" fish & chip shops which I will investigate once back from holiday now that the foot ferry is working and our weather has now realised that it's summer.

Nicky

Edited by Happyboating

Another valuable set of information, Nicky. You have been so helpful. Thanks! I watched 1/2 of the Roman Circus youtube video and will watch the rest later. I read much of the "Camulos" and will read more later. The Camulos Roman Colchester walking tour will be very useful for our Colchester exploration along with the information you provided.

I wonder if the Mayflower Project will expand to include ships that followed. My dh's ancestors came from England to Massachusetts Bay on one of the ships soon after the Mayflower.

Maybe we'll buy peanuts in Harwich for the squirrels to feed on the way to Colchester. Sounds like the squirrels are well feed.

Enjoy your holiday! Very nice for you that you can take your cats on your trip. Our cats are homebodies.

Kathy

Hi Kathy

I'm pleased you enjoyed the links. To be honest, I only found the Camulos website yesterday but it's excellent isn't it? It might not be an official site but, WOW, it certainly tells everyone all they need to know about Colchester. In particular, I thought the virtual tour of the Castle was very useful for anyone who is disappointed that it's closed this year:

http://www.camulos.com/virtual/castle.htm

The virtual walls tour is also good:

http://www.camulos.com/virtual/townwall2.htm

And the full virtual tour of Colchester is excellent:

http://www.camulos.com/virtual/guidea.htm

With regard to the Time Team Special video, I was disappointed when the presenter started the programme by saying that East Anglia was the wettest part of the Roman Empire - it might well be in regard to the Roman Empire, however, you should be aware that it is a FACT that East Anglia is the driest part of the UK.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time exploring Colchester and feeding the squirrels. Incidentally, you have a Lidl's supermarket right next to the Premier Inn where you are staying and a Morrison's supermarket on the shopping complex right opposite.

Have fun!

Nicky

Edited by Happyboating

TourDeCruise

If you also take a stroll along Ryegate Rd, that goes alongside the castle park, there is a building you are able to look through the window of to see some Roman ruins. i can't at present actually remember what it was but the bricks in the road also change colour to demonstrate where the ruins would have originally extended to.

As for tea rooms the best road to try might be Trinity Street, theres a number of tea rooms along here including one thats inside the church at the top of the street.

More good information, Riise. We will have quite an exploration looking for the Roman ruins. I will be noting all this excellent information from Nicky and you in the Notes file and via pdf files on my iPad Mini to take with us. Thanks!

It will be very useful to have supermarkets near the Premier Inn to get bottled water to take onto the ship and squirrel peanuts.

This thread has been immensely helpful for planning our visit and for use and guidance during the tour itself.

Kathy

I will be spending a few days in Harwich prior to a Baltic cruise next summer. Can anyone recommend a day trip from there? No driving please. Don't trust ourselves to be able to drive on the "other" side of the road. No London, BTDT.

We'd probably take a train into London and transfer for someplace scenic and historic. Thought about Cambridge.

Would love to hear recommendations.

For the train go to virgintrains.com you can book a round trip for two for around 67 pounds. I just booked for our trip in July. When are you going, the specials I believe are 80 days out. When you book do a return ticket (round trip). You could check when you get there about tours. We are staying in London the day before we go to Harwich and will either take a train for tour or actually take a tour, maybe to the Cotswald area. Have been there before and loved it.

• 6 months later...

Hello!

I'm not sure how railway ticketing works in the UK.

I plan to take a train from Harwich International to Mistley, walk from there to Manningtree where I would catch a train to Colchester. From Colchester I would return directly to Harwich International.

Would that trip be covered with 1 Harwich international to Colchester return ticket? Or since it isn't a continuous journey, would I have to get separate tickets?

What would the cost be?

Thanks for your help,

seebaer

Hello!

I'm not sure how railway ticketing works in the UK.

I plan to take a train from Harwich International to Mistley, walk from there to Manningtree where I would catch a train to Colchester. From Colchester I would return directly to Harwich International.

Would that trip be covered with 1 Harwich international to Colchester return ticket? Or since it isn't a continuous journey, would I have to get separate tickets?

What would the cost be?

Thanks for your help,

seebaer

Hi seebaer

Because the line from Harwich International to Manningtree is so rural - and there are no staff or automated ticket machines when you enter or leave the stations (including Manningtree Station) - you will be just fine buying a simple Harwich International to Colchester return, getting off the train at Mistley and then catching an onward train, to Colchester, from Manningtree. I guess you've read the earlier posts and are aware that there are two stations at Colchester?

The website for the train company who actually run the trains on that line is this one:

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/

although, as others have said, you can use other websites if you wish.

I'm actually now working at Manningtree and so I popped into the station for you today and verified this information with Jamie in the ticket office.

I think I'm correct in saying that you can actually buy tickets on the train from Harwich International but if you want me to verify this for you then please let me know. If so, the staff on the train can also take credit card payments.

I do hope you have a FAB day.

Nicky

Edited by Happyboating

Nicky, Riise, and all providing value information, I forgot to post upon our return just how valuable the information you provided was. Thank you ever so much! We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Colchester and your help is greatly appreciated, facilitated the trip, and added tremendously to the enjoyment.

We stayed two nights pre-cruise at the Premier Inn Harwich. From there we walked to the train station by the cruise terminal (Harwich International I think) and took the train to Colchester. At the train station in Colchester, we could have walked to Colchester town (albeit a long walk), taken a bus, or hopped on the train to Colchester town. We opted for the train. So what we did was take the train from Harwich International to Colchester, then got off that train, went up the stairs at the Colchester train station to another track/platform, and hopped on that train to Colchester town. An employee at the train station said we did not need to purchase an extra ticket but just use the one we had purchased at Harwich International. No one checked our tickets during the roundtrip except for from Harwich International to the 1st Colchester stop. We reversed that to get back to Harwich International and walked to Morrison's store for dinner (store's cafeteria) and to get bottled water and tea to take onto the ship before returning to the Premier Inn.

We could have taken the train from/to the train station in "downtown" Harwich, but since we were so close to Harwich International, we used that station instead.

From the train station in Colchester town, we walked into town and visited Roman ruins by walking the entire wall (not on the wall of course but the path and streets along side it) and in route walked around the Castle which was closed for renovations, visited the gardens and museum there, looked through the window of a building to see the remains of the Roman theater on a nearby street (Riise: we saw some of the bricks you mentioned to show how big the theater once was), walked to the Hole in the Wall/Roman Balkerne gate, and walked to the under-excavation of the Roman circus. We also had lunch in the "downtown" area at a nice Thai noodle place. Note: That our day did require around 10 miles of walking. If you want to do less mileage, take a taxi to Harwich International RT and skip the long walk to the Roman Circus as you cannot see much there anyway.

I should mention that first we stopped at the Colchester Tourist Information in the "downtown" area to get a map, on which the TI representative highlighted where the Roman ruins are. The map greatly assisted us on our quest and adventure to see the Roman ruins. I also had saved the pages from the "camulos" website Nickey mentioned on this thread as a pdf file to my iPad to serve as a guide during our visit; this information was valuable in route because we could consult the map and the website information to direct us and describe what we were seeing.

During our next visit (yet unplanned), we will return to Colchester to visit the Castle.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Map & downloaded website pages

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for updating us and im glad you had a good time. I think the problem Colchester has is for all its amazing history it seems those in charge try to hide it. Maybe in the future that will change.

Its interesting what you say about the Roman circus, I'm not sure what is going to happen there. I have heard talk of a big visitor centre being built but also seen a petition to try and save it as a housing developer owns the land and wants to put houses there.

Anyway if you need any advice again when you return just ask.

Edited by Riise

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Janet

I've been doing a little research for you. If you are staying in Harwich for a few days, without a car, you may like to do the Mayflower Walk:

http://www.harwich.net/tour.htm

As you know, Captain Christopher Jones lived in Harwich, Master of the Mayflower:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower

Train to Manningtree:

When you get on the train in Harwich I would suggest that you sit on the right of the carriage (facing the way the train is travelling) as you will then get the best views. Obviously if you are travelling from Manningtree to Harwich then sit on the left facing the way the train is travelling.

If you decide to take the train to Colchester, then I would suggest that you get off at Mistley Station and walk the 1.6 miles (on a flat pathway) to Manningtree Station. It's actually just under 1 mile to Manningtree High Street as Manningtree Station is 0.6 miles outside of the town. I checked the distance today.

On leaving Mistley Station, cross the road and then walk left. As someone else has already said, Mistley is a very pretty village:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistley

The walk will take you through Mistley village, past the Mistley Towers and then along by the river. If the tide is in then it really is very pretty. I should perhaps also mention that the swans that may greet you are friendly but please don't feed them!

As I've already said, after 0.7 miles you will reach Manningtree High Street:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manningtree

Having walked along the High Street you could then carry on walking to Manningtree Station to board the train to Colchester for the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchester

Just be aware that Colchester Station is about 2 miles out of town, up a steep hill. You may wish to change trains and catch one that takes you to Colchester Town Station. Sadly, that station isn't in the prettiest part of town but if you exit Colchester Town Station and turn right, and then right again at the traffic lights, and keep walking up Queen Street (a slight hill), when you get to the top of the road you will find yourself outside the Tourist Information Centre on the right, opposite Colchester Castle, with the High Street on your left.

If you wish to walk into town from Colchester Station then I can give you directions to walk up through Castle Park which is a pretty walk.

Here is the Tourist Information link:

http://www.visitcolchester.com/

Actually, I see on the "planning your visit" tab that there's a street map which clearly shows both railway stations.

I note that you've thought about visiting Cambridge by train. This is also easy to do. You will go Harwich to Manningtree, change for Ipswich (only one stop) and then change for a train to Cambridge. As its what we call a "cross country" route it'll be quite pretty. I think the journey will take you about 2 hours 15 minutes. Obviously you can go into London and out again, if you wish, the decision is yours. Just be aware that the route into London and out again is longer.

You can also get to Bury St. Edmunds by train, same route as above, and that should take you approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.

I see you have also been recommended to go to Sudbury, Long Melford and Lavenham. I would certainly recommend a visit to those places too, however, you really do need a car to get there. In fact, you might like to suggest that your friends from Norwich pick you up from Colchester Station as then you will be right on the A134 Sudbury Road. You can actually get to Sudbury by train and it'll take you about 1 hour 50 minutes.

Aldeburgh is also very pretty but, sadly, you do need a car to get there.

I actually live quite local and so if there is anything else you'd like me to check out for you, please don't hesitate to post your question. I'm actually going to Manningtree again on Friday and in the next couple of weeks I suspect I'll be going to Harwich and Colchester too.

WOW - I think this is the longest post I've written!

Anyway, I hope you have a truly wonderful time in our region - be sure to bring your camera with you.

Nicky

PS: I didn't know what "BTDT" in your post meant!

I am interested in Colchester and Ipswich and Mistley village. Can they be done with the train and a cab, as we will have luggage to carry?