Experience with 4 people / 2 TourSaver books?

masonpips

Hello!

I've ordred one book already. We are cruising RCCL Northbound from Vancouver to Seward. Plan on train from Seward to Anchorage, then rent a car and spend 4 nights at Denali (location TBD), then 1 night back in Anchorage before flying home.

Trip members: me, dh, ds (15) and dd (14). If I buy 2 books, can I use them pretty much most of the time for 2 buy-1-get-1 free offers? Or do they have exclusions on "one per family" or something like that?

For example, one of the lodging options we're looking at is Denali Bluffs, they have a get one night free after purchasing one (which is way better than their current 30% off prebook offer). Can I use one book to purchase the first night, get 2nd night free, then the other book to purchase 3rd night, get 4th free?

If needed, I don't mind doing different reservations (DH for one, me the other) but I thought I'd ask to see how common this is and/or if you know of issues before I order the 2nd book

Thanks

Many companies that honor the discount books have a very limited amount of rooms/tours/flightseeing that they have open for the discounts, 2 for 1 etc.

Remember that all kinds of folks are trying to use the discount coupons.

Telephone the service provider (hotel, etc) to see if they have any rooms, etc still available to be booked before buying the 2nd book.

Even if you buy the 2nd book under a different name, address and even credit card you might not be able to get value of out the purchase.

Under many cell phone plans, telephoning Alaska does not have an additional charge.

In other words, verify that your service provider has something to sell you at the discount book rate.

I personally would never have ordered a book until I was absolutely convinced I would save more than the cost of the book. Though you didn't say that in your post, hopefully that is true in your case.

As others have said in the past, the lodging coupons are usually the least valuable ones in the TourSaver book. But you need to inquire with each vendor to see what their stipulations are. Some allow only one coupon per tour (especially flightseeing comes to mind). Some hotels may allow a certain number of coupons per night or per season. The only way to know for sure is to contact the vendor.

yes, frugaltravel, excellent advice. The difficulty for folks wishing to both buy and use the coupon books is the time it takes to call the various vendors and then the delay of getting the book in hand.

We have a family member who works for a company that accepts the coupons on a very limited basis and only certain times a day for the tours.

Persons wishing to use the coupon books have to follow the rules very carefully.

I will third the answer,with the recommendation to call. IF going in season, you may have problems finding 4 nights available at full rates, so get this booking done BEFORE you purchase another book, unless you need it for another tour- like a Kenai Fjord boat tour for the 4 of you, and in that case- book that early too. :)

You need to CALL and inquire from each vendor you wish to use coupons with. Do you have available "such and such", for x date with a TOURSAVER/NORTHERN LIGHTS coupon redemption? Simple.

Altho 2for1 lodging might seem like the most economical choice, be sure to check other options. With a family you might save more money in the long run if you have a cabin or motel room with a microwave and fridge. Restaurants are pricey in Alaska so if you can make a simple b'fast or prepare sandwiches for Denali lunches, and have snacks and drinks on hand it's a considerable savings. So look at the whole picture when you compare costs.

(The downside to many cabins is no TV so that might not work for your kids :). And check the rate for additional charges beyond 2 occupants.)

http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Archived