Buying cruise souvenirs online?

jamface

I'd like to know what people's opinions are about buying a cruise souvenir online either before or after your cruise?

The reason I ask is because I am considering launching a website that will sell personalised souvenirs. The product will be unique and attractively priced but the biggest stumbling block I can see is that people buy souvenirs whilst on holiday, not from a website before they go or after they come back.

So, what do you think? Would you buy something to remember your holiday by whilst not on holiday?

I'd like to know what people's opinions are about buying a cruise souvenir online either before or after your cruise?

The reason I ask is because I am considering launching a website that will sell personalised souvenirs. The product will be unique and attractively priced but the biggest stumbling block I can see is that people buy souvenirs whilst on holiday, not from a website before they go or after they come back.

So, what do you think? Would you buy something to remember your holiday by whilst not on holiday?

Funny you should ask that. Ive been lookig for cruise themed ornaments to give dh for xmas and cant find any that are nice!

As I'm sure you're aware, you'll have to be careful about copyright infringement. Without proper licensing, you won't be able to legally sell anything that has someone's logo on it. The other thing is competition. "Zazzle dot com" already sells a lot of cruise themed items, such as hats, t-shirts, and mugs, and many of their items can be personalized. I do wish you luck, though.

Great cruise related X-Mas gift!! If you are dreaming of warmer weather, I just read this great book about what it is really like to work on a cruise ship. Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member by Joshua Kinser gave an insider’s look into ship life through the eyes of a musician. If you are an Amazon Prime member the book is free and the Kindle price is only $2.99!! I bought a few paperback copies for gifts for family and friends. Great read for anyone who loves sailing, southern latitudes, and a bit of fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Answers-Questions-Passenger-ebook/dp/B007Q3LSYQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333330193&sr=8-2

• 2 years later...
Interesting, perhaps there is a market for this but for people buying souvenirs as gifts rather than for themselves.

Anyone else have any thoughts on buying souvenirs after the holiday has finished?

I did the opposite. I gave Mom a Butchart Gardens book a year before we sailed on the Pacific Coast (Los Angeles to Vancouver) on the Sapphire Princess. Since Day 2 of that cruise was Mother's Day I was giving her a one-year preview of it. The book came directly from Butchart Gardens, of course. The next year I gave her a meal at Sabatini's, the ship's Italian restaurant.

The problem with buying gifts online is people have to pay for shipping. Getting souvenirs during your vacation is an easy way to avoid them. But if shipping for a product is free, I absolutely would not hesitate to buy it online.

• 1 month later...

If you sell unique items people may be more likely to buy. However, many people like to buy something that was made wherever they bought it (this is becoming more

difficult)

I agree with others that you may see more sales for gifts rather than souvenirs

To me t is not a souvenir if I don't buy it on the cruise.

A souvenir has memories attached, "Remember when we bought this in Paris and then climbed the tower".

Not "remember clicking on this on evilbay."