2 Questions before Sunday sailing

michmike

I can't remember, do all verandah cabins come equipped w/ a fridge or do I need to contact ship services to request one.

second question - anyone know if they have diet tonic water available at the bars on board. I feel guilty asking that question as I am generally scornful of those who obsess about "what brand of mustard will be on board?" but wife and I have both lost significant amounts of weight this past year and want to be able to hang w/ our friends in the bar but perhaps just sip on diet tonic and a twist of lime. If not stocked we'll likely bring a supply on board and see if the bars will keep it for us. Willing to pay the normal drink price for it, but just don't want all the empty calories that the booze and regular tonic provide. Enough other temptations on board as it is *S*

Thanks in advance for your input

I can't remember, do all verandah cabins come equipped w/ a fridge or do I need to contact ship services to request one.

second question - anyone know if they have diet tonic water available at the bars on board. I feel guilty asking that question as I am generally scornful of those who obsess about "what brand of mustard will be on board?" but wife and I have both lost significant amounts of weight this past year and want to be able to hang w/ our friends in the bar but perhaps just sip on diet tonic and a twist of lime. If not stocked we'll likely bring a supply on board and see if the bars will keep it for us. Willing to pay the normal drink price for it, but just don't want all the empty calories that the booze and regular tonic provide. Enough other temptations on board as it is *S*

Thanks in advance for your input

First, congrats on your weight loss. The fridge can be cleaned out for storing your cans but not very cold. Your cabin steward can provide ice and container to keep a few cans cold. I lost weight with WW and built in my daily points a glass of wine with dinner or a cocktail. Enjoy your cruise.

I drink diet tonic water everyday for muscle cramps that I would otherwise get at night. I have to bring my own on board. Since I only drink a small amount, one or two bottles does it for me.

Please explainhow tonic helps.i get severe cramps in my legs so anyting would help

Please explainhow tonic helps.i get severe cramps in my legs so anyting would help

some general info:

Although the FDA has banned the use of prescription quinine pills to treat leg cramps, the agency has not proposed eliminating tonic water from the market. If it did, a lot of people who enjoy gin and tonic might revolt.

Readers aware of the quinine in tonic water have put it to use: “I have been drinking tonic water with quinine for about two months now, and my leg and foot cramps have disappeared completely.”

FDA banned quinine from use against leg cramps because sensitive people may develop a potentially deadly blood disorder in reaction to quinine. Although this complication is rare, it is extremely serious. One reader reported being hospitalized after drinking a 5-ounce glass of tonic water. She developed a terrible skin reaction and her blood platelets plummeted. She was told that in her case even a drop could be lethal.

It's the quinine in the tonic water that MAY help the leg cramps. There's a lot of anecdotal reports online that it can be effective, but others claim that there is not nearly enough quinine in commercially available products to have much effect. As with any home remedy, caution should be taken not to go overboard with quantities, but certainly worth a try.

Prior to the weight loss, I used it as a transport mechanism for liberal doses of gin.... which did far more to alleviate a multitude of maladies than the tonic water did. *L*

It's the quinine in the tonic water that MAY help the leg cramps. There's a lot of anecdotal reports online that it can be effective, but others claim that there is not nearly enough quinine in commercially available products to have much effect. As with any home remedy, caution should be taken not to go overboard with quantities, but certainly worth a try.

Prior to the weight loss, I used it as a transport mechanism for liberal doses of gin.... which did far more to alleviate a multitude of maladies than the tonic water did. *L*

And don't forget the original purpose: to ward off malaria. It may not be as effective today, but it can't hurt trying :D

Archived