freedom vs. oasis and is freedom like voyager

jpolm

Family of 5- 2 adults, kids age 5,10, 12. travel history, All inclusives- kids LOVED! the best! mexico.. hawaii we love! and lots others but main family type vacation we enjoyed the most. Looking to travel June 2013 cruise.

I know this question has been asked a million times but i have a little slightly different spin

I've been on the Voyager over 10 years ago and loved it.. BUT for me I always like to try new things.. I've been soo drawn to the Oasis when it was first released and we just have had other travel plans every year. Itinerary not a concern. both have the Eastern that's what i want to do (done the western so time for a change)

My concerns/reservations:

The week we are looking at: June 1st or June 2

Freedom- similar to Voyager no new experience/ wows for me..

Freedom- pro- sunday departure vs. Oasis Sat Departure . Have to take off Fri to travel for SAT sailing.

Freedom- 2 connecting rooms for less than Oasis Family Ocean view(2 rooms vs one pro and for less) .

Oasis- 1 family ocean view no available connecting rooms left. (pro- entire family together, con -no privacy, space issues,one bathroom.)

Price is a pro for Freedom it's less and extra pre paid gratuities/obc..

bottom line i want the Oasis, but cost and room is making me feel Freedom is better choice for all.. but i can't get over the fact that i want the new/bigger/better and may be disappointed that Freedom is very similar to VOS.. and Oasis has such fantastic reviews and not to be missed by lots.

I also worry that we maybe overwhelmed on Oasis w/ booked cruise, shows to book, dinners to make, (itinerary is perfect just 3 ports ) -- but then again I never remembered feeling that way before.. we just went w/ the flow did what we could..

thoughts??

Yes Freedom is very similar to the Voyager Class of ships. But it was still an enjoyable cruise for me. I did notice the extra space, a larger dedicated photo space with additional stairwell to the Royal Promenade, Sorrentos Pizzeria in the Royal Promenade, H2O Zone kids water park area, and Flowrider surf simulator.

The Oasis Class of ships are completely different to the rest of the fleet. The design and layout cannot be compared.

I suggest Freedom before Oasis. Freedom is laid out like Voyager, but there are several differences. Freedom's Promenade is bit longer than VOS and includes not only a Cafe Promenade for snacks, but also a Sorrent's for pizza and lots of other foods like grilled veggies, breads and cheese, olives, etc. Freedom's Promenade also has a lovely Vintages wine bar that is not on VOS. There is a kid's H20 zone on the pool deck that looks like fun. There is the flow-rider at the aft. Freedom also has a beautiful Bolero's lounge with amazing glass art that VOS does not have. I don't think you would be at all disappointed with Freedom, and you can save some money toward a future Oases/Allure cruise.

Why not cruise on Allure instead of Oasis as Allure departs on a Sunday which would suit you better. Look into booking two separate cabins with a connecting door rather than a family suite as it may work out less expensive and you would have two bathrooms and some privacy too. The cabin attendant will also remove the balcony separator between the cabins so that your balcony is twice the size. I have only ever cruised on Oasis and Allure and so I cannot comment on the Freedom class, sorry. I do know that RCI are in the process of refurbishing their fleet to give several ships some of the Oasis class features. No idea about Freedom but I know that Liberty has just been refurbished and Independence is due for its refurbishment in May 2013.

I think you just answered your own question by wanting the Oasis/Allure. Great ship, It's really not that big of a deal to book the reservations, you'll be glad you did, don't wait until you get on board to book. At first I thought booking reservation was too much trouble, but it all works out, try something new :)

Freedom is like Voyager on steroids. It was nice that we felt we knew our way around. Sure we noticed the extra space but we also noticed the extra people! Your kids will probably love the h20 zone and the older may be able to do flowrider boogie board. If you loved Voyager I feel you would love Freedom. Can't speak for Oasis though.

Another pro:con to list

I checked air from lax to MVP

And lax to fll

There are many more options to fll through JetBlue/virgin for less as well (only want nonstop)

The con is most all flights either leave before 10-am or after 5pm. So a sat to sat cruise had the pro we leave red eye thurs have all day fri and return on sat night with sun to readjust.

I also just found out I have tons of air points but want to use them wisely.

So if we go to Orlando (freedom) chances are air might be double.

Is this the first cruise for the kids? My husband and I did two Voyager class ships without kids and then took the kids on their first cruise on the Freedom. It was a completely different experience. The Freedom has a few more things, was bigger, and just being on the ship with the kids made it completely different. We had a great time so I don't think you can make a bad decision here.

We generally prefer the larger and newer ships and are trying the Allure in March. I was really just so excited when we booked it, but the whole having to make reservations for the shows issue, and extra planning, takes away from some of the relaxing nature of cruising that I enjoy. We are still really excited, but I will be interested to compare this cruise to the others that we have taken.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. As others have suggested you might consider Allure with the Sunday departure but if I remember it also means a change to the western itinerary as they alternate routes.

I didn't think making the reservations was that big a deal but then again I am one who doesn't mind planning.

A couple of other thing to think about. Both ships are big but Oasis has a lot more areas and interesting features. For the kids that means a lot more thing to do and entertain them like the carousel. At the same time that also means a harder time keeping track of where everyone is at. If your 12 year old is like mine he/she will want to hang with some friends they meet on board and if you aren't very clear in where they are going it will be harder to find them (speaking from experience).

That being said I suggest Oasis. We did Freedom as a family last year and my wife and I did Oasis this year without them. All I kept thinking the whole time was how much the kids would enjoy the Oasis ship. So much so we are booked for spring break next year with the kids.

Hope that helps some.

That's a tough decision! I have been on Navigator (same as Voyager) and both Oasis and Allure. Personally, I would LOVE to do a Freedom class ship. I kind of agree that you might be a little overwhelmed if you choose Oasis or Allure for your first family cruise. It may set the expectations too high!

To make things more confusing I just found an ov room on allure for 300 less but it's 179 sq ft vs 270 sq ft(oasis family ov) and its the western Caribbean vs western ugh. I guess I have to determine if 300 is worth the 100 sq ft. I feel we are cramped in one room already.

But research has paid off found done good incentives dependent on who u book with.

We have also done several of the Voyageur class ships and like you, have loved them. To quote a previous poster, the Freedom is like Voyageur, but on steroids, in a great way! Your kids will love the H2O zOne and the FloRider, and there is extra space. For the price of the Freedom compared to Oasis, we've sailed her the last 3 times in a row. I think for us, the Oasis would be too big and I worry we won't truly have that ship feel, or the feeling of floating on water, which with Freedom, we absolutely still felt. You will love it!

We have done both Voyager and Feedom. We loved Freedom so much we did her twice. My kids loved it so much that after Freedom they said they don't want to do Disney again...wowzers. Yeah mommy happy dance. Disney is awsome but it means 2 cruises over just 1.

Having done Freedom twice our next cruise is on Allure.

You will be happy on either cruise and Freedom is so much bigger than Voyager it won't be the same cruise. The kids will love the water park, put put, ice skating, rock wall climbing and the flowrider.

One more more tip being a family of 5 you can book the Family Ocean view. They look out over the front of the ship but are HUGE cabins. Only one bathroom but there is a "bunk room" for the kids and it was awsome.

Only 1 bathroom but lots of space and privacy.

We did Freedom two years ago and Oasis last summer. Our entire family agreed that we really prefer the Freedom, and have it booked again for next summer but the opposite itinerary. :D The cost difference is substantial. I think our cruise on Oasis was about $3000 more for the same type of cabins...family of 4.

My husband and I are going on the Allure 3-day Valentine cruise by ourselves...but I cashed in a bunch of Visa points for that.

We did Freedom two years ago and Oasis last summer. Our entire family agreed that we really prefer the Freedom, and have it booked again for next summer but the opposite itinerary. :D The cost difference is substantial. I think our cruise on Oasis was about $3000 more for the same type of cabins...family of 4.

My husband and I are going on the Allure 3-day Valentine cruise by ourselves...but I cashed in a bunch of Visa points for that.

Hey isaboo I think your idea sounds great! I think we are going to stick to oasis still. Torn but we like the itinerary (eastern) for the week we plan on going its the best price wise. Freedom is a little less money and has a similar itinerary that sane week too. But maybe we will do another trip on freedom or allure. I think we need to pull the trigger.

Archived