Everyone on Cruise Critic Negative or Cause For Concern?

bsharynu

I am leaving in less than 2 weeks for my Carnival Legend cruise. I am extremely excited and have already started putting together things to pack.

I think I need to stop reading reviews and information. I wan to maitain a positive attitude, but I am a little worried. I just read the most recent 5 reviews for the Legend, and they are terrible. I know everyone has their own opinion and while one person may have had a subpar experience, another person may have had the time of their life. However, out of the 5 most recent reviews, not one of them is positive. Not one. I read some earlier reviews before I booked and saw some positives and looked past some of the other negatives, but 5 of 5 negative has me worried that I am going to "get what I paid for" - the Yugo of cruises.

Thoughts?

Pretend you never read a bad review

go on your cruise expecting to have a great cruise

while doing that remember there is no perfect vacation stuff happens

How you deal with that "stuff" depends on you, so really for the most part

if you go knowing you are going to have a great time, you most likely will!

I would say that sometimes those who expect the world to stop for them

because they are on vacation are the ones who have a bad cruise.

There are 3000+ other people who think the world should stop for them too.

Have a GREAT cruise

and remember 5 reviews over the last say six months when there have been 3000+ a week people on those same cruise

Negatives always seem to make it to the boards. Ignore them for the most part :)

I stopped reading reviews about 7 yrs ago because over and over the reviewers just had an awful time. The one that did it for me was a review from a cruise I had just taken.

Everybody the reviewer had contact with was surly and rude. The reviewer was just a few cabins from me. The food was pig slop, they waited every night up to an hour to be seated in the dining room and then the servers were condesending and rude. Nothing was to the reviewers liking.

To this day, it was the best cruise I ever had and I have been at least 7 times since then. It was an NCL cruise. We never waited more than a min to be seated. Service was amazing. Food was great. We have never been taken better care of by the staff.

It was my mothers first cruise. I read her the review. She said she was glad we were not on that cruise. I had to tell her that was the exact same cruise we had been on.

I stopped reading reviews about 7 yrs ago because over and over the reviewers just had an awful time. The one that did it for me was a review from a cruise I had just taken.

Everybody the reviewer had contact with was surly and rude. The reviewer was just a few cabins from me. The food was pig slop, they waited every night up to an hour to be seated in the dining room and then the servers were condesending and rude. Nothing was to the reviewers liking.

To this day, it was the best cruise I ever had and I have been at least 7 times since then. It was an NCL cruise. We never waited more than a min to be seated. Service was amazing. Food was great. We have never been taken better care of by the staff.

It was my mothers first cruise. I read her the review. She said she was glad we were not on that cruise. I had to tell her that was the exact same cruise we had been on.

That is funny. We sailed the Legend in Dec of 2012, had a great time. I wouldn't say it was our best cruise, but it definitely was a good one.

OP: remember that any vacation can be good or bad- it usually is the attitude you take with you. Go planning on a great time, & you will most likely have a good time.

It is true in all forums that people will post negative comments before they will post good reviews. I enjoy reading the bad reviews, they seem to nit pick everything. I get a good laugh. You will have a wonderful time. I too have been on the Monarch and was much more impressed with my Carnival cruise. Bigger room. Much better food. Go have fun!

Do you mind if I ask a silly question?

MY GF and I are taking are first ever Cruise next year we are Australian and just deciding which Carnival cruise to take based on the ports we wish to visit.

We read this board a lot and are learning lots.

My question is apart from the ship sinking how bad could a cruise be. Thanks to this board we understand that there may be mechanical or weather problems, that can happen on any trip and is part of life.

So a waiter is a bit surly, the meals might be a bit slow coming out again can happen on any trip.

Why so much angst, for in the scheme of things little hiccups surely that can't ruin a holiday. Do people expect to much or are problems encountered on a cruise magnified because you can't get off the ship.

One other question if you don't mind, what is this reference to Walmart, we don't get it. We don't have Walmart here and what is a redneck.

Carnival have a ship based in Sydney at the moment and it looks magnificent

Having been around this board for a bit, Legend is a pretty popular ship, and in a pretty popular class. In fact, many posters who have sailed on bigger, newer ships still seem to prefer this class.

She is also a bit unique in that she has a custom-lowered funnel so she can make clearance under the Sunshine Skyway during sail away. I used to live in Tampa, so I can tell you make sure you don't miss that. I'm sure it's something cool to see.

Ted...

Okay...Wal-Mart is a VERY Large chain of discount stores that carry everything from groceries to auto parts...I've lost count of how many they have here in the US as well as around the world.

They carry lower end merchandise and their price points reflect that. They are greatly criticized because they do tend to have a monopoly on all areas of retail business and, because of their price points, tend to run local business "out-of-town".

Some people like to turn up their noses at Wal-Mart shopping because of the above reasons and because they attract persons from all walks of life..(esp in this economy)..they are affordable. They are open 24hrs..and some people love to post photos of Wal-Mart shoppers..probably mostly taken in the middle of the night..so you can imagine the garb on some.

"Redneck" is a term used here in the states for (.usually southern states) people. Originally denoted folks who worked in the fields in the hot weather..from the south..some with accents reflecting that region of the country. In most recent times, it is considered derogatory..reflecting low-class, low intelligent people.

In a nutshell..(granted, a big nut:rolleyes:) that is a definition.

BTW..these are not my opinions..just a definition..I've lived in various parts of the states..have lived in the South..consider myself part 'redneck' and am a Wal-Mart shopper..in this economy I need to be.

DO NOT under any circumstances, let those comments or other negative reviews color your judgement..go with an open mind and a good attitude and you'll have a blast!

Cruising is our favorite way to vacation..We've been on more Carnival than any other line and love it!

I had many misgivings before leaving on the Pride back in October both about the ship and Carnival in general. We still had a great cruise at a great price. The crew was super, the ship was great, the food was good to excellent, the entertainment was entertaining. Knowing that we saved $400 over what a similar cruise would have cost on NCL made it that much better. Go with an open mind and experience it for yourself.

MY GF and I are taking are first ever Cruise next year we are Australian and just deciding which Carnival cruise to take based on the ports we wish to visit.

My question is apart from the ship sinking how bad could a cruise be. Thanks to this board we understand that there may be mechanical or weather problems, that can happen on any trip and is part of life.

So a waiter is a bit surly, the meals might be a bit slow coming out again can happen on any trip.

Why so much angst, for in the scheme of things little hiccups surely that can't ruin a holiday. Do people expect to much or are problems encountered on a cruise magnified because you can't get off the ship.

One other question if you don't mind, what is this reference to Walmart, we don't get it. We don't have Walmart here and what is a redneck.

There are things that can ruin a person's cruise but usually a small problem that was big to them. Walmart is a big store that has all the things smaller stores have and usually at a lower price, but when you shop there, some of the shoppers are dressed like they thought they were still at home or think their bodies are beautiful in tight clothes, even if they weigh 300 pounds and are 5' tall! Rednecks are people with loud voices and great jokes, usually about themselves.

The Spirit is out of Australia and they have Carnival's best Maitre D', Dessi, who was also their first female MD. Try it, you will like it!!

OP, I think some people are a lot more likely to come to websites like this to post their displeasure with a cruise, just because a lot of people want somewhere to complain. Those who had a good vacation/cruise are more likely to just go on with their life and never even think about coming here or elsewhere to say they had a good or fantastic time.

It is actually a very small percentage of cruise passengers who are here on CC, ( 14pc ?, I think ), so dont buy into the negative reviews you read. They are really just a small percentage of cruise passengers, and more likely they are the ones who would complain about everything anyway.

Some reviews though will have negatives mixed with positives, and those are more reliable, as sometimes there are actually things we think could have been better. But also sometimes these things that bother one person, are things that would have no impact on another.

Go on your cruise, relax and enjoy yourselves! Have a great cruise!:)

I am leaving in less than 2 weeks for my Carnival Legend cruise. I am extremely excited and have already started putting together things to pack.

I think I need to stop reading reviews and information. I wan to maitain a positive attitude, but I am a little worried. I just read the most recent 5 reviews for the Legend, and they are terrible. I know everyone has their own opinion and while one person may have had a subpar experience, another person may have had the time of their life. However, out of the 5 most recent reviews, not one of them is positive. Not one. I read some earlier reviews before I booked and saw some positives and looked past some of the other negatives, but 5 of 5 negative has me worried that I am going to "get what I paid for" - the Yugo of cruises.

Thoughts?

There are some people in this world that tend to only look for the negative in everything. They spend so much time looking for things, no matter how small, to complain about, that they never have a good time. If you go to Cruise Critic's home page and click on "Reviews", you'll find numerous reviews on every cruise ship currently afloat. Look at the reviews for the Legend. Currently, it has a rating (based on customer reviews) of 84% (not too shabby). Read through the over 900 reviews, if you want to, and you'll probably be far less apprehensive about your upcoming cruise. We all enjoy different things on vacation. What's important to me may not be so for you, and vice-versa. Go! Have a great cruise! And don't let insignificant "negatives" ruin your fun.:)

"Redneck" is a term used here in the states for (.usually southern states) people. Originally denoted folks who worked in the fields in the hot weather..from the south..some with accents reflecting that region of the country. In most recent times, it is considered derogatory..reflecting low-class, low intelligent people.

In a nutshell..(granted, a big nut:rolleyes:) that is a definition.!

It is supposed to be derogatory, but unfortunately where I live, some people proudly refer to themselves as redneck, or a "good ole country boy." I can only imagine what outsiders think. :rolleyes:

We were on the Legend for Thanksgiving and had a wonderful cruise!! It was our second time on the Legend, after trying out the Dream last year.

We love the Western Caribbean itinerary, the Legend ship set up, and the crew. My only complaint was about the Maitre D'. He only affected us because we traveled with a group. It was a bummer, but in no way ruined our cruise. So you may hear complaints, but they are just a tiny part of the experience. It is what you make of it.

You're on vacation, have an open mind, with no expectations and you will have a great time!!

:D Yep. I agree completely.

I think the operative word for many reviews is "over-exaggeration". Not to say that some things aren't up to a person's "liking" (and I wish people would use words such as like and dislike instead of generic mush mouth words in a review like good and bad) but there are some folks who have a real distorted view of their own importance in the grand scheme of things and what better place to prove it then by belittling any experience when it doesn't reach their personal level of "standards". Some peeps are still cruising (and living) with the mindset of how things were...instead of how the world really is and this, invariably, has an impact on what they consider to be "not up to snuff".

To many bad service isn't being number uno on someone's priority list and not acting like their personal butler or houseboy. Waiting in any kind of line is a personal affront; why should they be forced to be part of the masses, the way should be cleared for them, the boat is their own personal yacht...they paid to be king or queen for a week, move the peasants. Miniscule accidents or someone elses' temporary lack of judgment throws them in a tizzy...perfection is a must.

And don't get me started on food...whenever I read that the food was "bad" (and end of story) I just stop reading. Something can be tough or grizzly or undercooked or stone cold but if every portion put in front of someone was like that everyone on the ship would starve after a few days. I have yet to eat on a cruise where I didn't find something to my liking...and the "under-seasoned" comment is kind of funny to me...that is what salt and pepper is for. Some peeps just want everything to be prepared, cooked, and displayed as they "like" it, irregardless if the guy sitting next to them orders 3 more. It's still "bad" to them.

Hopefully, the OP gets the drift. Reviews, by nature, are nothing more than someone's OPINION, just like anything else on this forum. And because reviewers are anonymous no one has any way of knowing what is true or what is false...some just enjoy stirring the pot. I'm not saying every ship and every sailing is wonderful and that problems don't arise but it is how someone places said problem in context that often is suspect.

You probably won't know till you've been on one.

And the person 10 feet away could be having their best cruise, simply because they have a different service staff, different likes, and come off a different life experience.

To my limited knowledge, there's only been 2 1/2 bad cruises that I know of.

Titanic

Concordia

and that Splendor one where the power was out for a week and it was stranded? That would be half bad for me.. lol

All the rest are good. There are always minor issues with all cruises, but attitude going in is key. Be positive and you will have a wonderful cruise.

I think people set their expectations too high.

1. They complain about long lines (every cruise I have been on has lines)

2. Slow service (well with that many people to serve, be considerate of the workers. They work really hard)

3. Kids (All I can say is get over it on the kids, everyone was a kid at one point and they dont seem to remember because everyone that complains about kids were "perfect children all the time and never mad any noise or splashed in pools"

4. Smoking (Dont go through the smoking areas. I have never seen one person smoknig where they weren't supposed to be) I am a past smoker and I dont like to be around it at all anymore. I avoid the areas if I can.

5. Weather (It has rained at least one day at sea on almost all the cruises I have been on. Nothing anyone can do about that, and its not the ship's fault.)

I can go on and on. Stinky sewer smell in a certain spot on the ship.blah blah blah.....Look for all the times that these people have cruised, this is a repeat of all the negative reviews. These things happen on all the ships. But a lot more fun, excitement, memories, and pampering happen also. It just depends on what out weighs the others for you. Have a great cruise and just try and relax. There are some good people that give great advice on how to avoid some of the annoyances.

I haven't sailed the Legend, but I must say there are a lot of people on Cruise Critic who cruise and pick apart every little thing, and blow it up like a balloon to make it seem like a big deal. For my two past cruises I was extremely worried about our ship choice from everything negative that I had read. Not a single negative thing said on the comments even came into play for my cruises. Just focus on positive things, and nothing negative, and your cruise will be the BEST it can be!

Archived