Costa neoRomantica coming to Melbourne

6andy6

Researching this ship under Reviews, I came across this, from an Aussie Christmas/New Year review -

Our cruise commenced in Melbourne, Australia and believe it or not the compulsory lifeboat training drill was at 1.00am in the morning of the first day of departure. Absolutely ridiculous and these sentiments where echoed by all and sundry who presented their required attendance card to staff who marked you off as attending. Those that did not attend promptly were identified and found in their cabins and marched to their stations. There certainly was an assortment of clothing attire ranging from bedtime wear to suits. Quite amazing picking that time to do a drill.

I know what my attire would have been!

Edited by MMDown Under

I have to say that price attracted me to this cruise, as we would never be able to see the wonderful ports of call otherwise, but after reading the reviews I was getting really cold feet.Then I met acouple who cruised on this ship in the summer and they assured me that it would be their first choice of ship to sail on again. They have cruised some 20 times and the NeoRomantica was their favourite so I'm hoping for the best.

I couldn't book anytime dining as my agent said Costa only did two sittings....and recommended the drinks package at £1575 for the two of us even though I don't drink alcohol. Is there anyone out there who knows differently?

My helpful agent has just emailed me this:

Soft drinks are not included with meals or at any time on the ship. Coffee from a machine is only available at breakfast time. Costa Cruises took the decision, I believe, a couple of years ago to stop including the drinks and to take the costing for them off the price of the cruise to give passengers the choice of whether to pay as they go along the cruise or to purchase the drinks package.

So that's one question answered.

I know people that have been on the Neo Romantica and haven't a bad word to say - and I haven't anything bad to say about our two Costa Cruises - it's different. As for your drink package - it calculates at just over 17 UKP a day - per person - which is very good. The last cruise that came down through Europe to Sydney the drinks packages were 20 euro a day - so your drink package appears to be cheaper. A cocktail in 2010 was 9 euro - just for 1. So I think it's pretty good. That is the one thing Costa did make good on. In 2009 a drink package consisting of house beer - house wine and soft drink - in 200ml glasses cost us 245 Euro each for 14 days. Since late 2011 - they have introduced the cheaper package - which includes much more. Rave reviews about this on the Costa Board - you just have to double check the brands/types of drinks you can have - or you could be paying extra for the wrong brand :eek:

They did have happy hour around 5 to 7 in the evening 2 for 1 - don't know if that is still going - maybe not with the good drinks package

Here is the link to what is included in the Costa all Inclusive http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=242937&d=1345640369

Edited by dizzy1948

My helpful agent has just emailed me this:

Soft drinks are not included with meals or at any time on the ship. Coffee from a machine is only available at breakfast time. Costa Cruises took the decision, I believe, a couple of years ago to stop including the drinks and to take the costing for them off the price of the cruise to give passengers the choice of whether to pay as they go along the cruise or to purchase the drinks package.

So that's one question answered.

We asked the kindly waiter in the dining room to get our drinks from the bar outside - but you can take your drinks in with you - the drinks package is the way to go - and you can splash out occasionally on a bottle of your own choice. When you hand your cards over for your drinks - just check your receipt - and it should say 00.00 when you have drinks from your package.

Thanks everyone - it looks like we may buying by the glass as I don't drink alcohol at all and the £1500 would buy another cruise! We have just come back from 10 days starting in Venice for £1200 with soft drinks free. It's a shame I don't qualify for the soft drinks package by about 40 years - oh to be young.....

We'll have another think about it later as everyone says it's good value, I presume we don't have to do anything until we board in Sydney and it is Christmas after all!

Thanks everyone - it looks like we may buying by the glass as I don't drink alcohol at all and the £1500 would buy another cruise! We have just come back from 10 days starting in Venice for £1200 with soft drinks free. It's a shame I don't qualify for the soft drinks package by about 40 years - oh to be young.....

We'll have another think about it later as everyone says it's good value, I presume we don't have to do anything until we board in Sydney and it is Christmas after all!

As far as I am aware - there is no age restriction on the soft drinks - the soft drinks package we had for the boys (no age restriction at that time by the way) was a group of 20 drinks - can't remember the cost - and you could top it up. But I understand where you are coming from - because you have to buy the drinks package for every adult in the cabin - say two adults - you can't just buy one package - you have to have two. If they still do happy hour - you will be ok - we aren't big drinkers and we did pay as you go on our last Costa Cruise - as they didn't have the drinks package then - only soft drinks. Anyway - irrespective - don't aim high in your expectations - and you won't be disappointed. :)

As an after thought - the drinks packages are now on sale when you board - so you can check it all out then - just enjoy your cruise

Edited by dizzy1948