Anyone ever do the Northern TransAtlantic route?

wenabre

I have a chance to do the Northern Route ( trans-Atlantic) on Star Princess and was wondering if anyone else has any info re this route. It would be in Sept and would sail from Cophenhagen to England ( two stops) Ireland ( two stops) Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland, New York and then into Fort Lauderdale and fly back from there. I am not asking re the price as we can get in on a group booking, so its a great price, but what the cruise ship is like and also sailing in the North in September. Thanks

Wenabre

We have done this cruise a couple of times and really like the itinery. You will get to see parts or the world that are varied and interesting. If you are wondering about the weather you take the usual chances. In general the sea is calmer in Summer than in Winter. Our cruises have been in the fall and our luck was good. The Star is a fine Grand Class ship with the usual Princess amenities. I don't think MUTS has been installed yet. Your opinion of the food and service will vary as always with your expectations and who in the crew you encounter. I would book this cruise again without hesitation. Irv

Last September we had an overcast and somewhat rainy day in Iceland, but it was still gorgeous. We were unable to do the Fjord cruising in Greenland due to winds but cruised around Greenland instead. That was probably the coldest day amongst the icebergs!! It was the only day I wore my wool coat with hood and I needed it! The next day we went to the port in Greenland and the sun was blazing and it was nearly 70 degrees. The only rough seas were between Copenhagen and Dover, and even that wasn't bad. Also the fog rolled into St. John and we were unable to leave on time. We ended up spending the night there and leaving early the next morning. Overall an outstanding itinerary, and I would do definitely do it again!! ;)

I'm doing a similar itinerary on the Sea Princess Sept. 10th and I can't wait. I've crossed the Atlantic in Sept. before, but New York to France with no stops at Iceland and Greenland, which I've always wanted to see!

Susie

my husband and I will be on this cruise 9/22, we have been on one other transatlantic. This will be a wonderful cruise.

To Bluesea2:

We have an interesting group in touch with each other on the Cruise Critic Roll Call for the Sept. 22 Star Princess Transatlantic. We are arranging some group touring (i.e. Dublin, Belfast, Greenock, etc.) amongst ourselves. If you think you'd be interested, go to the website and join us.

We did this cruise several years ago on HAL's Rotterdam. Starting in Dover, we did LeHavre, Guernsey, Cobh Dublin & Belfast in Ireland, Oban Scotland, Iceland, Greenland , Newfoundland and New York. The highlight was the spectacular scenery of Prince Christians Sound in southern Greenland. Unfortunately, after traversing the calm waters of the sound, we were unable to tender into Nuuk, Greenland due to rough weather conditions. We felt sorry for the few residents there who had looked forward to a rare visit by a cruise ship and we were unable to get ashore. Our cruise was titled, "Route of the Vikings" and I consider it a much more interesting trans-Atlantic voyage than just going from Southampton directly to New York.

We did a variation of this itinerary on the late, great Royal Princess, Aug 98, and enjoyed it very much.

Had a lot of fog between Greenland and Newfoundland, plus it was a bit bumpy in the same area - but the Royal Princess is a great "sea-boat", and we did not find it uncomfortable.

One odd note I thought. They had the movie Titanic on board, and showed it to the crew, but the Cruise Director refused to show it for the passengers, claiming that it "might upset them". I think his judgement was faulty!

If you're interested in disembarking in New York City better do the cruise this year rather than next. I see in the Captain's Circle magazine that the Sea Princess will be ending this itinerary in Quebec City after starting in London, September, 2006.

Crossings are great but remember...you will be traveling in September and this means that there is always the risk of hitting a storm. When you hear the weatherman say that "the hurricane is off the coast and will blow out to sea" you will quickly realize that "out to sea" means exactly where your ship is in the North Atlantic...LOL!!! We have had wonderful crossings in the Fall and sometimes we have hit a storm...but that happens.

Fortunately, your cruise will be in the far North and should be OK...aside from the fog and rain. I would do it in a heart beat!!!

ROSS

Well the decision has been made and we will be doing the cruise on the 22nd.

The ' we ' is my Mother and myself . Is there going to be a Cruise Critic Meet on board? Also I shall be looking at the other board re the group excursions.

Thanks to all for answering so quickly and with so much info....

Wendy

Archived