Captains cocktail party

Acrusa

Is the Captains cocktail party always the 2nd night at sea? If we depart at 8 pm on monday is the party the next night Tuesday? Just looking for clarification.

No, the date of the Captain's Cocktail Party is not "fixed".

On port intensive cruises, even less so.

Those of us who are involved in planning the Cruise Critic "Meet and Mingle's" used to spend a great deal of time and effort trying insure that our gatherings would not conflict (who can compete with the captain?), but we were wrong as often as we were right.

Unfortunately, long experience has taught us (the hard way) that "it will be, when it will be".

Check with the Concierge when you get onto the ship. ;)

Hello Jim and Stan

I'm not so sure you are fairly judging your level of competitiveness when faced with the Captain.

I for one would pick your hosted Meet & Mingle party hands down when faced with the choice between you guys versus the Captain's Cocktail Party.

Just saying. :)

It should be also clarified that the Captain's Reception is not as fancy as on other lines. With no photographer on board there is no posing with the Captain. Many people bypass the receiving line and go directly for the drinks:D.

The dress code is still Country Club casual although some dress in their best outfit for the reception.

Since there is also an Oceania Club party for returning cruisers, many elect to skip the Captain's Reception in favor of the Club party (different night).

Also on the Marina/Riviera the Captains Reception is a bit different as no venue can hold all the passengers so it is held in several places with the Captain and senior officers spending some time at each.

Speaking of Meet and Mingles, on Crystal we are used to signing up on line on Cruisecritic, receiving confirmation that a sufficient numbers of passengers have signed up, and then, once on board, receiving an invitation to a scheduled party with free drinks and snacks, ordinarily visited by ship's officers.

What's up with Oceania's lack of interest?:cool:

On our three Azamara cruises, officers hosted privates cocktail parties for CC members if there were 25 registered in advance. On the Baltic cruise, there were far fewer than 25 but they had it anyway. On the Panama Canal cruise, there were so many that they held a second event toward the end of the cruise ~ a morning coffee gathering on a sea day. Senior staff was always in attendance and interested in hearing our comments about what the line was doing right and wrong, so that they could strive to improve. It made us feel that our input was important to them. Having said that, however, I must add that it's been four years since we've been on Azamara, favoring Oceania for many reasons. A cocktail party is such a small part of the overall cruise experience, and O wins hands down when the total package is reviewed.

Harriet

Hello Jim and Stan

I'm not so sure you are fairly judging your level of competitiveness when faced with the Captain.

I for one would pick your hosted Meet & Mingle party hands down when faced with the choice between you guys versus the Captain's Cocktail Party.

Just saying. :)

Blushing_stockxpertcom_id34115921_jpg_.jpg AW Tom, you flatter us!

Hope to put you to the test on that statement in May of '14 (If the good Lord is willing and those those Mayan's weren't right!)

On our three Azamara cruises, officers hosted privates cocktail parties for CC members if there were 25 registered in advance.

Royal Caribbean and it's sister cruise lines have an agreement with Cruise Critic to sponsor Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. They make all the arrangements.

Other lines don't have such an agreement, so it's up to the CC members on a given cruise to arrange their own party.

Royal Caribbean and it's sister cruise lines have an agreement with Cruise Critic to sponsor Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. They make all the arrangements.

Other lines don't have such an agreement, so it's up to the CC members on a given cruise to arrange their own party.

There is an odd connection in there somewhere...

When we used to sail with Holland America, there was a time when all official mention of Cruise Critic was banned.

We still had our gatherings, but HAL did not want them publicized onboard.

Hey Jim and Stan

I was really happy to see we were sailing together on the May 2014 TA. Can't wait to see what you come up with for M&M invites. :)

I'm looking foward to sharing a cocktail or two with you, given that for this upcoming Oceania cruise I won't be encumbered by the excess baggage of adult children and their significant others. (The only baggage will be Heidi -- Haaaaaaaaaaaa)

Archived