Once I land in Anchorage

emeltee

I like K2 and Talkeetna Aero for Talkeetna flightseeing. Be, very aware of the different tours offered and be certain you get the type you want. A lot of differences. My preference is always the summit flights. :)

There is Little Coal Creek trail which is pretty easy, in the Denali State Park. But overall, it probably isn't going to be what you may think. It's wide open --space. maybe a few, dirt paths, no "visitor centers", no tour operators lined up etc.

As for Wasilla, this is the cheapest of the cart rides, was $10 for a quick run. These have been Reddington dogs, in the past. There is a small museum- Togo is stuffed there. Interesting story. :) 30 minute stop with a ride. :)

If of interest, I would not pick "one" of these visits, you may still want to consider both sled dog activities.

What is it about K2 & Talkeenta Aero that you like over any other companies?

Would it be worth it to even visit Denali State Park?

What is it about K2 & Talkeenta Aero that you like over any other companies?

Would it be worth it to even visit Denali State Park?

Well run, long established companies.

Take a look at the Denali State Park website. It isn't just one place to go. It's all open. All the trail listings are there. As I mentioned, you have to make your own fun here, and be comfortable with nothing around.

I think Talkeetna is one of those places that you like or you don't. Some people find it charming and quirky .. it didn't do anything for me. I went there to flightsee and we were weathered out both days. Maybe I'd feel differently about the town if it was sunny and warm, but we arrived to rain, wind and cold and it was the same when we left the next day.

Flightseeing is the only reason I would go there again .... there's not enough to see and do, especially in comparison to other areas. But that's just me. Look at the Chamber web site for activities:

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/activities/things-for-kids

I think Talkeetna is one of those places that you like or you don't. Some people find it charming and quirky .. it didn't do anything for me. I went there to flightsee and we were weathered out both days. Maybe I'd feel differently about the town if it was sunny and warm, but we arrived to rain, wind and cold and it was the same when we left the next day.

Flightseeing is the only reason I would go there again .... there's not enough to see and do, especially in comparison to other areas. But that's just me. Look at the Chamber web site for activities:

I would also chime in to say that I too am not especially in love with Talkeetna. IF the weather is good and the mountain is out, then a McKinley flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna can be breathtaking. However, that's a big "if" some days/years, so I would definitely say it's a play-it-by-ear sort of thing.

As for flightseeing, I personally would opt for flightseeing in a float plane out of Lake Hood in Anchorage, and save some long and frankly rather boring drives to/from Talkeetna.

Lake Hood is adjacent to Anchorage International Airport, and is the largest floatplane base in the world. There are numerous flightseeing and charter operators located there, and flightseeing options from Lake Hood offer a lot of variety. You can fly around Cook Inlet and see the volcanoes on the west side, or fly over the Chugach mountains, or over Knik Glacier or the Harding Icefield... all of which are spectacular and extremely convenient. Or if any in your party want to try a day of fishing, most of the Lake Hood operators offer fly-in fishing, where they'll also provide all the equipment, things like that.

Have a look, for example at Rust's (one of the longest-operating services) so see their offerings. http://www.flyrusts.com/

We continue to go up to Talkeetna most years and spend a night. The appeal for us is when the businesses and operators close down and the last bus heads back to the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge and the kids come out in their Xtra Tuf boots and take over the streets. There’s a bar at the Denali Fairview Inn that comes alive about 10pm. Mostly local kids with a few old codgers that have lived there for years. It’s like attending a cast party after the show and seeing what these people are all about when they’re not providing services to tourists.

Hmm, I would hate to go up there and not be able to flightsee. Maybe I should just save it for some time in the future as a stop on the way to Denali.

OK, back the drawing board. Back down to Girdwood, perhaps.

Hmm, I would hate to go up there and not be able to flightsee. Maybe I should just save it for some time in the future as a stop on the way to Denali.

OK, back the drawing board. Back down to Girdwood, perhaps.

You HAVE to be accepting of flights canceling and not being available. A few years ago, I had a 4 day window, with 5 or 6 reschedules, and never did get off the ground. :)

Okay, I have a different thought now. Saw some pictures from a guided hike on Matanuska glacier - I think with Mica. Most likely it would be me, DH and DD1. My parents and DD2 would need to find something else to do. Is there anything in the area that the could while Dh, dd and I are on a hike? Would this be something we could fit in? Could we do this as a day trip from Anchorage, if we stay one or two nights there? Or is there something closer to Whittier that we could fit in?

The only definite for our pre cruise diy tour that I'd like to hit are a PWS cruise and the Wildlife conservation center.

I saw some guided tours on Exit Glacier, but they look too intense for us.

We are not doing any glacier shore excursions during the cruise, so I'd like to get up close to a glacier during our land touring possible.

Any suggestions?

Okay, I have a different thought now. Saw some pictures from a guided hike on Matanuska glacier - I think with Mica.

Any suggestions?

Matanuska Glacier is the most easily accessible glacier in the state. You can walk from the parking area and be on the glacier in 15 minutes. With no traffic or construction issues it’s a 2 hour drive from Anchorage and an easy day trip. They installed a zip line near there last summer. It’s really a beautiful area if you drive up the highway past the glacier towards Sheep Mountain. This photo is of a two person trek with a guide. Not sure if it was Nova or Mica.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107326259154545546042/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/107326259154545546042/albums/5222683397629236657/5367775448412491618

Also, what is the boarding time on embarkation day? Do we board early? What's the latest we can go on? We will be on the Sapphire Princess.

If you are doing a Prince William sound boat tour, it is easily fit into embarkment day, which I highly recommend. Then you just walk from the tour and get on your cruise ship.

There isn't anything, at Matanuska, except, a campground. Hatcher Pass, and the Musk ox farm are an hour away.

You need hours to really get the most out of glacier trekking, I've gone private and was easily out 5 hours. Don't count on any less than 3-4.

Would this make any sense:

Stay on Anchorage for three nights.

Arrive on the 3rd.

4th - day trip to Matanuska DH, DD1, me. Shoot for 2pm hike. Spend morning with parents and DD2. Leave Anchorage by noon. DD2 naps while my parents watch her/rest themselves.

5th - Alaska Conservarion Center/ explore the southward drive points of interest / return minivan if return early enough.

6th - return minivan if not done the night before. ; take train or bus to Whittier. Take Major Marine Surprise Glacier tour. 12ish to 5ish.

Embark sapphire princess.

As an aside, what's the latest we need to check in at the cruise ship?

I was thinking of using Anchorage as a base since it costs me $750 for a one way minivan rental from them3-6. I figure I could save some money if I could return to the same office.

Also,I'd avoid changing hotels. Again,not opposed to changing hotels - just logistically,it would be easier to stay in one place vs moving 6 or 7 people. However,if this is an idea that is completely out of whack, we will change hotels.

what will it cost for your car rental in Anchorage plus 6 one way transfers from Anchorage to Whittier? that is the key question to compare to the 1 way car rental. you could also do two one way car rentals that might work out cheaper then having 1 car rental 1 way for the entire time.

what will it cost for your car rental in Anchorage plus 6 one way transfers from Anchorage to Whittier? that is the key question to compare to the 1 way car rental. you could also do two one way car rentals that might work out cheaper then having 1 car rental 1 way for the entire time.

I'm not quite sure what you mean propose by saying two one way rentals.

I was hoping that one of the coupon books would have a 2 for 1 to Whittier. They seen to have 2 for 1 for all the other destinations (Denali, Fairbanks, Seward), but not Whittier. :(

I guess, if I don't end up returning the minivan, we should move the last night to Girdwood vs driving back to Anchorage.

Archived