Our unlimited laundry experience.

whogo

I found it helps to first calculate numbers of the four different types of cruise days you will be experiencing and plan backwards from that, when making packing choices:

1. Formal Nights, if one wants to participate

2. Evening Meal nights: MDR vs Lido vs Room Service vs Pinnacle

3. At-Sea days

4. Port Days

Then figure the expected weather, excess baggage fees and how many suitcases one wants to handle.

Baggage fees are not a problem, we are driving. I would just prefer to pack as little as possible. It will be enough keeping up with electronics and snorkeling gear. Clothing is just a needed accessory. :D

We just got back yesterday from 11 days on the Noordam and went with the unlimited laundry for the first time. For $77.00 it was amazing!! We had our laundry back the next day and it was perfect. I was worried about them shrinking cotton shirts, but it wasn't a problem. There was perhaps a smidgen extra wear and tear on the clothes than if I did them at home (I hang dry instead of using the dryer), but nothing dramatic.

I wish I'd known about unlimited laundry sooner!!

Unlimited laundry is one of the best bargains at sea. The best part is not having to sit in a laundry room. You're on vacation. Let someone else do the work.

It looks like it remains at $7.00 per day. Someone recently reported an increase to $9.00 per day.

I wish Cunard offered this deal.;) Is this something which may be purchased using OBC?

Hi Classiccruiser. Regarding Cunard: on QM2, self-service laundy is no charge. (To the best of my knowledge, that also applies on QV and QE, but I have no personal experience of those ships.) The OBC will be applied to dry cleaning/laundry on Cunard. However, there is some recent changes regarding the 20% discount applied to Platinum/Diamond World Club Members on Cunard ships.

The only problem is they lostb my sons shirts,my undies and bathing suit bottom . I got someone elses stuff which I returned but never got mine back They did compensate me for the stuff ....they mixed up our bags ..but I still never got back my sons beautiful dress shirts

Really enjoy having my laundry done on the ship. One reminder based pm personal experience....most clothing items, including things like bras but not underpants,come back with a little iron-on or stick-on numbered identification tag somewhere on a seam or label tag. It is not very noticeable and is easily removable leaving no mark. However, if you miss one it will begin to scratch and itch just when it is impossible to stop, strip and remove.

With that system it is hard to imagine that laundry is lost very often, or that they would not be able to trace most of the time when a mix-up occurs.

Really enjoy having my laundry done on the ship. One reminder based pm personal experience....most clothing items, including things like bras but not underpants,come back with a little iron-on or stick-on numbered identification tag somewhere on a seam or label tag. It is not very noticeable and is easily removable leaving no mark. However, if you miss one it will begin to scratch and itch just when it is impossible to stop, strip and remove.

With that system it is hard to imagine that laundry is lost very often, or that they would not be able to trace most of the time when a mix-up occurs.

Funny...and so true. On some things...like my jeans....I like to leave the tags on and then when I am at home and I see them I remember being on the cruise. Strange I know....but fun!

We always get the unlimited laundry package. it is truly a great service and you are right when you say..........why do laundry? :)

I also get the unlimited laundry package. I love the way it comes back in that nifty basky wrapped in tissue paper with a gold seal. I am always amazed at the number of members on this board that get upset because alot of the new HAL ships don't have self service laundry. To me the key word is "VACATION" means that you let someone else do the work and you just set back and enjoy.....lol.

I finally got my 4 stars, previous to that I would either do my laundry by hand or go to the laundermat. Well I wish I had tried their laundry service, it is wonderful.

One thing, I would not send bras out. I got my first ones back with the hooks bent out. I thought I had forgotten to hook them. Well on the next load I hooked them, and still the same problem. Now I just do them by hand. Just wanted to give a little warning to other ladies. I do love the laundry service, it is so fast.

[quote name='Kween Karen']Funny...and so true. On some things...like my jeans....I like to leave the tags on and then when I am at home and I see them I remember being on the cruise. Strange I know....but fun![/quote]

We love finding the laundry tags on our clothes after we get home. It makes us smile :D

Rockfan2

[quote name='Kween Karen']Funny...and so true. On some things...like my jeans....I like to leave the tags on and then when I am at home and I see them I remember being on the cruise. Strange I know....but fun![/quote]
You are not alone! Months after the cruise I thought I had all those numbered tags but my daughter pointed out one on her leggings. I went to remove it and you would have thought I hit her! :eek::o She treasures it and it is a reminder for her of the cruise and how much fun she had!

We had 1 week in Seattle, Vancouver and Whistler before we got on the cruise so we had laundry...times 4! We stuffed that $20 bag until I thought the seams would burst open but HAL didn't flinch and it all came back nicely folded....until my son got into it of course!

We took the behind the scenes tour on our last Oosterdam trip and saw where they put the individual tags on and the smiling man who did it, before the clothes go into those huge washing machines. We too have had 100% excellent service from the HAL laundry, and now look forward to our coveted four star Mariner perk as we get ready for our upcoming 50 day HAL cruise.

What surprised us most in the behinds the scenes tour is hour brightly lit, clean, freshly painted open and relatively cheery all those behind the scenes areas were.

I expected dark, cramped, rusted with rats running in the dank corridors. :eek: And maybe some leg-irons and a cat-o-nine tails? Just the opposite - no windows, but still a very professional feeling working environment exists both front and back on HAL ships.

I had both laundry ($7/day) and pressing ($4/day) on my just-concluded 10-day Maasdam cruise, and boy howdy was that nice. I brought half my usual amount of luggage, and sent a few things down every day. The pressing service helped keep my tux and sportcoats looking fresh and crisp, and I always had clean clothes.

I may not live long enough (or spend lavishly enough) to make 4-Star Mariner, but I'll probably spring for the laundry again, especially on anything longer than 7 days.

I'll always take the pressing, though. On a shorter trip, it's cheaper for me to do the by-the-bag for things that need to be washed, but air travel with a folded garment bag always makes a mess of my dress clothes.

Also, unlimited laundry is one of the many perks in the "suite amenities" package you can buy for yourself (or someone else, I suppose) from HAL's website. If the other items in that package are of interest, it could be worth it.

[quote name='SwissMyst']We took the behind the scenes tour on our last Oosterdam trip and saw where they put the individual tags on and the smiling man who did it, before the clothes go into those huge washing machines. [/quote]

Aaaak! I was already shy about sending my unmentionables to the laundry and if I take the Behind The Scenes Tour I don't think I could! :o

Was the tour worth the price, SwissMyst? I get the feeling from your posts that you really enjoyed it.

[quote name='aussiedisneyfan']They seem to work out the laundry at $7 per cabin per day. So for 37 days it would be $259. They may well give a discount on the longer cruises.[/QUOTE]

7.00 per cabin per day. Unlimted pressing would be an additional $5.00 per day.

[quote name='jaspersmycat']I've never done unlimited laundry. I am going on a 7 day cruise. Is it worth it or am better just sending out one bag midweek?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]The joy of unlimited laundry is that you can come in from the day, put your clothes in the bag, and send it out. There's no need to fill the bag. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]To me, though, that's an expensive extravagance on a 7-day cruise. That's especially true when one bag sent on the 4th or 5th day will be full, let you bring mostly clean clothes home, and still won't be a lot to pack in the first place. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived