Holland America and Princess

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

I've cruised 12 times, all with Princess. I'm considering a Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam and I had a few questions. If someone can help me out, I would appreciate it. We are pretty simple cruisers all the way around, but there are a couple of things I like on Princess and wasn't sure if it translated to Holland America.

Does Holland America have an open seating dining room, or all they all assigned times? We like doing anytime dining on Princess, but usually eat at the same time each night anyway, 5:30.

On Princess if you don't want to dress for formal nights, you can go to the specialty restaurants, is that the same on Holland America?

Does the Eurodam have an adults only pool area? There is usually one on Princess and we like to go there. I'm not talking about something equivalent to the Sanctuary, just a public pool for adults only.

I'm sure I will think of others, but wanted to start here. If you have any other comparisons with Princess, please share them as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Does Holland America have an open seating dining room, or all they all assigned times? We like doing anytime dining on Princess, but usually eat at the same time each night anyway, 5:30.

Yes, there is open seating from 5:15-9:00 PM in the lower level of the dining room.

On Princess if you don't want to dress for formal nights, you can go to the specialty restaurants, is that the same on Holland America?

If you don't want to dress on formal nights, you can eat at the Lido, have room service from the dining room menu, or eat at Canaletto Italian restaurant. The specialty restaurants Pinnacle Grille and Tamarind follow the dress code.

Does the Eurodam have an adults only pool area? There is usually one on Princess and we like to go there. I'm not talking about something equivalent to the Sanctuary, just a public pool for adults only.

The aft, outdoor, Sea View Pool may, or may not, be adult only. It's a "movable feast", in a fashion.

It has been quite awhile since we sailed Princess, but I've found the open seating on HAL to be handled better. You can call and make a dinner reservation for open seating, however we've never had more than a few minutes wait and usually dine between 5:30 and 6:30. Tables are filled quickly and once the table is full, they will begin taking orders.

Oh HAL, I believe the formal designation is for the entire ship. If people do not wish to dress up, the only dinner option is the Lido.

The aft pool should be designated as adults only - however if you're sailing during spring break - that might not happen. Every once in awhile I have seen children on the aft deck but they've never been loud or running around so it wasn't an issue to me.

I sail with HAL and Princess frequently. I like the open seating on Princess because the restaurants are set up like restaurants on land. On HAL the Rotterdam or the same by other names is more like an elegant banquet hall. The configuration was set up for old fashioned cruise dining by set time. I like open time on Princess (never had a problem getting a table for two). This is not always the case on HAL so I book assigned time (second seating for me).

However, $10 at the door on the first or second day will get you what you want when you want it. It's the way of the world, isn't it.

On formal night on both lines, if I want to go to a bar I dress. It's only polite. Then if I want to go to the Horizon (the Lido isn't as good) or Canaletto, I go back to the cabin and change to the informal attire I prefer.

Sounds to me that you will prefer Princess. Just returned from the Ryndam and off on the Grand next month. Love both lines, hope you will also.:):)

Archived