Is a polarising filter worth it?

Shelley61

I have a Panasonic bridge camera - the FZ-150 and have just booked an Icekand & Norway cruise for May, so am keen to make the most of the camera's capabilities.

The camera has the functionality to fit various filters and additional lenses and as it's coming up to christmas I figured my boyfriend could treat me to something! :)

So... In light of our upcoming trip, would my pictures see the benefit of a polariser? And if so, should I stick with the recommended (and obviously expensive!) panasonic filter, or would another make (Hoya) do just as good a job?

First thing on the Christmas list is a bigger bag to hold everything in...!

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

The effect of a polarizing filter cannot be duplicated in post processing, so it is a worthwhile investment.

I've noticed that the Panasonic branded accessories are quite pricy - a Hoya or Tiffen filter should provide the same results. Take a look at 'the usual suspects' for online retailers [b&H, Adorama, Amazon...].

You can use either a 'linear' or 'circular' polarizer - some brands used to price the circular polarizer [Needed for some SLR cameras] higher.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will definitely get the boyfriend to invest in one on my behalf! The Panasonic one is £70, but the Hoya Pro-1 one is only £25. A bit of a difference!

I only bought the camera a few months ago... now I'm wishing I'd held out a bit longer and bought the FZ200... that constant 2.8 f/stop is very tempting!

I bought the 52mm Hoya CIR-PL UV FILTER, works perfect. I also had the Panasonic FZ150, sold on Ebay and bought the FZ200, like you I wanted the F2.8. Both are great to use and love the telephoto. See

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983&page=4

on this forum for more info on the FZ200.

Tom :cool:

You may find that your autofocus system works better with a circular polarizer.

That is true for SLR cameras with 'phase detect' autofocus. Cameras with 'contrast detect' autofocus do not benefit from a CP.

[Contrast detect cameras include all fixed lens cameras; micro four thirds & NEX EVIL cameras - and SLR's when in 'live view' mode. Phase detect auto focus is on SLR cameras when using the viewfinder, and Nikon 1 EVIL cameras.]

I thought polarizer filters were only good if it was facing 90 degrees from the sun?

They can be used to darken the sky [most effective on clear blue sky].

A polarizer is also useful the way polarized sunglasses are useful - suppressing bright reflections off smooth surfaces [water, glass, ice, some type of leaves...] at low sun angles.

When the reflection is suppressed the color and detail hidden by the refection become visible [to the eye or to the camera]. That's the effect that can't currently be duplicated in Photoshop.

I have a Panasonic bridge camera - the FZ-150 and have just booked an Icekand & Norway cruise for May, so am keen to make the most of the camera's capabilities.

The camera has the functionality to fit various filters and additional lenses and as it's coming up to christmas I figured my boyfriend could treat me to something! :)

So... In light of our upcoming trip, would my pictures see the benefit of a polariser? And if so, should I stick with the recommended (and obviously expensive!) panasonic filter, or would another make (Hoya) do just as good a job?

First thing on the Christmas list is a bigger bag to hold everything in...!

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

I thought polarizer filters were only good if it was facing 90 degrees from the sun?

Correct, they have maximum effect when used at 90 degrees from the sun.

Also, rather doubt that Panasonic makes their polarizer. It is probably made for them by Hoya, Tiffen, etc.

Correct, they have maximum effect when used at 90 degrees from the sun.

Also, rather doubt that Panasonic makes their polarizer. It is probably made for them by Hoya, Tiffen, etc.

I guess this will require me to actually be able to find the sun then?! Given what I've heard about Norway, this could be the interesting bit! ;)

I hadn't considered whether panasonic even make their own filters but it's obvious that you're paying for the name. I went with the Hoya Pro-1 in the end. I'll try and take pictures with and without it just in case and will try and practice before we go too. If I get anything decent I'll try and come back and post some images.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The more I learn just about this camera, the less daunting a full DSLR sounds. Maybe next time!

I guess this will require me to actually be able to find the sun then?! Given what I've heard about Norway, this could be the interesting bit! ;)

I hadn't considered whether panasonic even make their own filters but it's obvious that you're paying for the name. I went with the Hoya Pro-1 in the end. I'll try and take pictures with and without it just in case and will try and practice before we go too. If I get anything decent I'll try and come back and post some images.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The more I learn just about this camera, the less daunting a full DSLR sounds. Maybe next time!

I wrote an article on using filters. Among other things, it contains a newbie-friendly explanation of hoe polarizers work and how to best use them for full effect.

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/Filters.htm

Hope it helps...

Dave

Archived