New Years Eve on NCL?

Avril

This'll be my 6th New Years cruise but my 1st cruise ever on NCL, super excited!! :D Sailing on the Epic December 29th. My question is, what sort of special things (parties, events, etc) does NCL on New Years Eve? On my other NYE cruises, they have had a huge party on the main pool deck (drink specials, free champagne, music, dancing, countdown at midnight, etc) as well as noise makers, and a special dinner in the main dining room. It's such a blast!! :D It's a formal night as well (I know NCL doesn't have these). Oh, and free champagne on embarkation day. :D Just wondering if NCL does any (or all) of these things or if they have their own way of celebrating. What can I expect?

Thanks!! :D

Pretty much the same on NCL. You go formal or smart resort casual - to your heart's desire.

Just remember the Caribbean is hot and sweaty so resort casual is the way to go ... but it's up to you.

P.S. I've spent several Old Year's Night in Southern Caribbean during my teen years when my folks were living and working down there (I was an expat brat, spent 5 years in boarding school in UK, travelling to whereever my folks were living for school holidays). Always smart resort casual doen there.

There will be a differently themed party in every venue. The deck party is a blast if it's warm. They will fill a hot tub with champagne & sell you a bottle or two.

On my last NYE cruise on the NCL Dawn, everyone, inccluding the kids, was in formal wear. Most people on my Roll Call for the Gem seem to be planning to get dressed, even though it's the day we board.

I also remember that a few days later, they had a New Years' Eve redux party in one of the bars. That was kind of dumb but . . . :rolleyes:

Pretty much the same on NCL. You go formal or smart resort casual - to your heart's desire.

Just remember the Caribbean is hot and sweaty so resort casual is the way to go ... but it's up to you.

P.S. I've spent several Old Year's Night in Southern Caribbean during my teen years when my folks were living and working down there (I was an expat brat, spent 5 years in boarding school in UK, travelling to whereever my folks were living for school holidays). Always smart resort casual doen there.

Ok, thanks!! :D I've been on Caribbean NYE cruises before so I know what the weather will be like. I always wear a formal dress on NYE and have been ok so I'm hoping that continues!! I know that (or I thought that) NCL is more of a casual cruise line so I wasn't sure if people brought (and wore) fancy and/or formal clothes or not.

By the way, that sounds like a really fun way to spend your teen years, getting to travel to all different places for your school holidays!! :D

There will be a differently themed party in every venue. The deck party is a blast if it's warm. They will fill a hot tub with champagne & sell you a bottle or two.

On my last NYE cruise on the NCL Dawn, everyone, inccluding the kids, was in formal wear. Most people on my Roll Call for the Gem seem to be planning to get dressed, even though it's the day we board.

I also remember that a few days later, they had a New Years' Eve redux party in one of the bars. That was kind of dumb but . . .

Ooo, that sounds good!! :D What sort(s) of different themes do they have? Deck Parties are always a blast (and even more so on NYE)!!!! :D So you drink right out of the hot tub? Awesome!! :D We'll be in St. Maarten on January 1st so it'll definatly be warm (if not hot) on NYE!!!! Ok, I will pack my formal wear then, perfect!!

NYE redux? That sounds like a lot of fun actually, not dumb at all!! :D

The deck party was sort of a Carribben theme. The pool band played.

One bar -- Spinnakers maybe -- had rock & roll.

The atrium bar had kind of a big band / Guy Lombardo thing going on.

In the Star Bar, there was a piano player doing old standbys which you could barely hear over the noise from the deck party.

N.B. The year everyone was dressed up, the Dawn sailed from NYC. I don't know but I suspect that might make a difference about the choice in attire -- formal v. resort casual -- when sailing from a warm port.

From different reports over the years, I think you can count on the ship to be beautifully decorated.

The countdown is usually celebrated in nearly every bar/venue with hats and noisemakers and a champagne toast at midnight. If the weather is nice, you may find a celebration by the pool also.

You will also find adults only events as well as family events. And ones for teens.

Idea I love: The current year is carved in ice blocks and then they dump the one number into the pool and bring in the new number for the new year.

Archived