Allure Internet Charges, Bad!!!

dicnic

I'm actually on the Allure now and am totally confused by your post. You can buy various packages based on your needs. It is far more economical to buy a day pass for $25 for unlimited usage than paying $2.00 per minute. :rolleyes:

Yep! I have no problem with the variety of options on internet charges. It was so easy to just select one and go with it. I used an ipad and the first day I logged in and selected the $149.99 for unlimited for the week as I knew I needed some video streaming and upload of many photos. That way I didn't need to worry about budgeting the time. When I wasn't logged in my wife could use her ipad on the same account. But if I wanted just 3 days of time I too would have selected the $25 option. Or, need just a couple hours, then the $5.99 option. I consider having internet in this day a requirement. I would have no problem if they just made it standard for my room and built the service in to the rate, but I realize there are those who would not like that.

Yep! I have no problem with the variety of options on internet charges. It was so easy to just select one and go with it. I used an ipad and the first day I logged in and selected the $149.99 for unlimited for the week as I knew I needed some video streaming and upload of many photos. That way I didn't need to worry about budgeting the time. When I wasn't logged in my wife could use her ipad on the same account. But if I wanted just 3 days of time I too would have selected the $25 option. Or, need just a couple hours, then the $5.99 option. I consider having internet in this day a requirement. I would have no problem if they just made it standard for my room and built the service in to the rate, but I realize there are those who would not like that.

I agree. The various packages helped me tremendously :D

I'm with you, but not everybody has that option.

AND.. some people don't WANT to disconnect. I like the option of sharing experiences with my friends and family as they are happening, or while I am sitting by the pool reading a book on my iPad, and decide to have a iMessage conversation with someone at a whim. I love technology, and thank goodness I do not have to abide by what some other people seem to think a vacation should be.

Also, it must be widespread or ALL the cruise lines would not be so focused on upgrading their equipment and their options.

I know if you choose the $149 for unlimited usuage, it is only for one computer at a time. But if I am on my laptop for a bit, then completely log off, can my husband then log on to his laptop and use part of the unlimited package? Do you buy it by the cabin or by your sea pass number? It is totally worth it to buy unlimited time, especially if we can both use it, albeit at separate times.

We did not use the internet on our last cruise but I will want to just log on quickly to check my bank balance since I know of some significant activity that should be going on while we are away on the EOS. I only plan to go to my bank website, log in, check that the activity has taken place as expected and log out. Something that would take 2 minutes here but will no doubt take longer on satellite service. Is there an option for me to just pay for the minutes I use instead of buying a whole package? I just can't see needing 30 minutes for that...

I know if you choose the $149 for unlimited usage' date=' it is only for one computer at a time. But if I am on my laptop for a bit, then completely log off, can my husband then log on to his laptop and use part of the unlimited package? Do you buy it by the cabin or by your sea pass number? It is totally worth it to buy unlimited time, especially if we can both use it, albeit at separate times.[/quote']

Just off the Allure~

I was initially disappointed you could no longer buy a few hours, and use the 30 minutes coupon, that would be spread out over 7 days. But I sucked it up and purchased the $149 unlimited option and used my 20% coupon. I loved it. Sending instant pictures to Facebook was fun. No stress about remaining minutes!

To answer your question; As long as everyone uses the same logon and password everyone in the cabin can time share one account. Just not simultaneously.

AND.. some people don't WANT to disconnect. I like the option of sharing experiences with my friends and family as they are happening, or while I am sitting by the pool reading a book on my iPad, and decide to have a iMessage conversation with someone at a whim. I love technology, and thank goodness I do not have to abide by what some other people seem to think a vacation should be.

Also, it must be widespread or ALL the cruise lines would not be so focused on upgrading their equipment and their options.

That is very true. I don't feel the need to explain my internet usage and try to convince that I am relaxing every bit as much as those that think you are not truly vacationing if you are on a computer, internet or tablet.

What cracks me up is truly the differences of what relaxes one makes someone else's skin crawl. Some of these internet naysayers spend HOURS gambling....which I can barely stand to walk through....let alone consider it relaxing!

:)

Thanks - I wanted to comment on that also but you said to so perfectly. I can add that many of our colleagues or clients don’t know that we are away – and that is how we like it. We cruise 6-8 times each year, so we are not really on “vacation” we just happen to be on a cruise ship for a particular week. I doubt we would be able to cruise as often if we were cut off from business or family communication

M

Like you said you are not really on vacation, that is what I mean, so when I go on vacation I do not want to hear from anyone and I do not e-mail anyone:eek:

I'm with you, but not everybody has that option.

You see my point but if someone needs to e-mail or get e-mail and can not do without it for 7 days I really feel sorry for that person and it is lucky they did not live in the 50.s or 60's or 70's and even the 80's because they would never have gone away for even a weekend:eek:

I didn´t live in the 50´s or 60´s but I recall the years without Internet as I grew up through them and have to say I´m glad times have changed in this aspect.

Did the Internet Change our lifes? Yes - but to me in a very positive way. I think Internet makes my life so much easier and I wouldn´t want to be without it.

Being connected might be a burden for some and they have the choice to disconnect and btw it can be done on land as well;)

Staying in touch with Family during my trips actually adds to the fun. I relax much more knowing what´s going on back home.

As for the Job aspect, I can access Job related stuff over the Internet, but my employer doesn´t expect me to do so while on vacation and I usually don´t. However if my employer would tell me I could work from anywhere you can bet I would rather chose to work from a cruise ship and relax in between work times than going into the Office:cool:.

Now of course it might also have to do with the fact that I love my Job and don´t ever feel any stress from it.

Luckily we have choices and can connect or disconnect as we wish.

It seems this thread has been partially hijacked into a thread on what people should and should not do while on a cruise. With apologies to the OP, I will add my two cents.

I have read many threads in which people have made some comment like this: "I don't want to do such-and-such on a cruise because I'm on VACATION!", where such-and-such can be any of the following: (1) use the internet; (2) use a cell phone; (3) work out in the fitness center; (4) eat healthy meals; (5) other.

I just want to say that people are different and they enjoy different things. For example, I enjoy using the Internet. To me it is fun and relaxing, and if I can do it while watching the sea and sipping a drink, all the better. Sure, it costs more to use the Internet on a ship, but so do drinks.

In general, people like to combine cruising with other activities that they enjoy, such as shopping, spa treatments, getting some sun, trivia, bingo, gambling, etc. For some people that list also includes using the internet, reading, and working out. It does for me.

Just got back from a week cruise on the Allure of the Seas. Discovered that RCCL has revamped their Internet Access packages, to their benefit ($$$), certainly not to its customers. One now must choose from packages that measure the minutes used in contiguous blocks ie, when you sign up for 24 hours, it means the next 24 hours on the clock, measured from when you pay.

Previously, you bought a block of time which you used minute by minute, when you signed on and off each time.

An obvious arrangement to maximize their profits (again).

We are really tired of RCCL nickel and diming us. They used to be our favorite but lately they have fallen way down on our list of preferred cruise lines.

I think the primary moral of this post is to read the fine print! Don't just glance at the costs, but make sure you understand what the loophole is. Capitalism is all about the almighty dollar, so they will take as much as they can until the well runs dry.

I would be interested in the demographics of the Internet addicts versus the Internet haters. :D

I'm 38 and the thought of not having the Internet for a week horrifies me. I am definitely addicted and will pay whatever they ask to feed my addiction. At least it is healthier than smoking...probably. :eek:

Jen

Opinionated Newbie

I also like their new feature of being able to print your airline boarding passes free without using your minutes.

Andrew

Andrew, do you know if this ability to print boarding passes is available on all ships or just Oasis & Allure? That's really all we need the computer internet for and "free" sounds like a wonderful idea. Where and how are they printed? :)

Andrew, do you know if this ability to print boarding passes is available on all ships or just Oasis & Allure? That's really all we need the computer internet for and "free" sounds like a wonderful idea. Where and how are they printed? :)

I can tell you there were no kiosks on the Navigator. We usually fly Southwest and with the Early Bird Check-in we get checked in automatically and just print the boarding pass at the airport when we arrive. If we use luggage valet, the cruise line prints them.

People that post on a discussion of the internet use just to say they don't use the internet on vacation are like those little kids that interrupt adult conversations just to be noticed. :p

Dork button. :cool:

I can tell you there were no kiosks on the Navigator. We usually fly Southwest and with the Early Bird Check-in we get checked in automatically and just print the boarding pass at the airport when we arrive. If we use luggage valet, the cruise line prints them.

Gregg. Thank you for posting that. You made me go back and look at SWA early bird check in. We used it in September and truly did not understand it. I think we screwed it up by going online and actually checking in. It looks like they have re-written the explanation...and it does include "automatic check in". I will go ahead and sign up for it for our February flights.

There was an article in today's paper that SWA is raising the cost of early bird check in to $12.50 p/p after the beginning of the year.

Thanks. :)

Like you said you are not really on vacation, that is what I mean, so when I go on vacation I do not want to hear from anyone and I do not e-mail anyone:eek:

You see my point but if someone needs to e-mail or get e-mail and can not do without it for 7 days I really feel sorry for that person and it is lucky they did not live in the 50.s or 60's or 70's and even the 80's because they would never have gone away for even a weekend:eek:

Please spare us your pity. I work in IT and my job didn't exist in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. In the 80s and most of the 90s, I wouldn't have been able to work from home never mind a cruise ship. All I need is email to make sure my backups are running and I'm a happy camper. If they're not, I just email my cover and he takes care of it. I'd thank you for your sympathies but you really shouldn't judge other people's situations. I'm free to cruise whenever I want, as George Bush would say, because of the internets.

Deck 7 aft, buried in the inside staterooms, you need a map to find it. PCs and a printer. There are others but they are not out in the open.

Please spare us your pity. I work in IT and my job didn't exist in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. In the 80s and most of the 90s, I wouldn't have been able to work from home never mind a cruise ship. All I need is email to make sure my backups are running and I'm a happy camper. If they're not, I just email my cover and he takes care of it. I'd thank you for your sympathies but you really shouldn't judge other people's situations. I'm free to cruise whenever I want, as George Bush would say, because of the internets.

Your judging his opinion so what's the difference.

Besides your loving mate, many people are free enough to actually not need to please someone else when they are on vacation, so lighten up on their freedom.

Deck 7 aft, buried in the inside staterooms, you need a map to find it. PCs and a printer. There are others but they are not out in the open.

Thank you, I am guessing you are referencing Oasis or Allure? We will actually be on Vision, which is why I inquired about other ships.

I have it worked out now. We are flying Southwest and I signed up for early bird check in for our return flights. We won't need internet access onboard at all, and we can just check on things with wi-fi in ports. :D:):D

Your judging his opinion so what's the difference.

Besides your loving mate, many people are free enough to actually not need to please someone else when they are on vacation, so lighten up on their freedom.

Really? :rolleyes:

I'm a web developer and the reason I get to travel so much is because I can work from anywhere because of the internet. A trade I am more than happy to make - I own my own business and I CHOOSE to work. To each their own.

As far as I'm concerned, flat rate would be WONDERFUL on a cruise - considering I usually go through at least 250 minutes (or more) every 7 days when I'm cruising just checking email and handling any "emergencies" I need to deal with for clients.

Also - from what was posted in an earlier thread about the flat rate packages, you can still do per minute. Maybe what they need to do is explain the options a little better.

Lydia

I just came back from the Allure on Dec 2, the C&A coupon for the 30 minutes is still valid. If you log off at the end of the session, you can use the remaining minutes at a later session. You have to type in logoff.com in the URL to stop the clock. Otherwise, the clock keeps ticking and your 30 minutes expires after you leave even if you're only online for 5 minutes.

Just got off the Allure. This is wrong. The OP is correct. The 30 min ($6.99) and the 60 min (8.99) expire after 30 and 60 min whether you use all the minutes or not and the C&A coupons are not valid with those two options. The next one is 24 hour continuous use which is $24.99 which again expires whether you use the 24 hours or not. $150 gives you unlimited access for one connection at a time and $450 gives you unlimited multiple connections.

Since these are new plans, Guest services honored my coupon with the caveat that they will not be able to do so in future.

Just got off the Allure. This is wrong. The OP is correct. The 30 min ($6.99) and the 60 min (8.99) expire after 30 and 60 min whether you use all the minutes or not and the C&A coupons are not valid with those two options. The next one is 24 hour continuous use which is $24.99 which again expires whether you use the 24 hours or not. $150 gives you unlimited access for one connection at a time and $450 gives you unlimited multiple connections.

Since these are new plans, Guest services honored my coupon with the caveat that they will not be able to do so in future.

I am recently off the Allure and was able to use my Diamond Plus internet coupon for 45 free minutes. The young woman at Guest Services who took my coupon, provided me with an access code which I used when I logged onto the internet on one of the internet center's computers. There was no indication that the coupons would not be valid in the future. I logged off after each use and, because I accessed the web very sparingly, I actually used only 34 of the 45 minutes provided to me. No charges were made on my onboard account and the service seemed to be faster than I had become accustomed to onboard. As long as I used my access code to sign on, there was no necessity to purchase any additional packages but those that I noticed seemed to be an improvement over previous offerings I have experienced on other cruises.

I am recently off the Allure and was able to use my Diamond Plus internet coupon for 45 free minutes. The young woman at Guest Services who took my coupon, provided me with an access code which I used when I logged onto the internet on one of the internet center's computers. There was no indication that the coupons would not be valid in the future. I logged off after each use and, because I accessed the web very sparingly, I actually used only 34 of the 45 minutes provided to me. No charges were made on my onboard account and the service seemed to be faster than I had become accustomed to onboard. As long as I used my access code to sign on, there was no necessity to purchase any additional packages but those that I noticed seemed to be an improvement over previous offerings I have experienced on other cruises.

How recently? I just got off today. I have to say that the staff is unfamiliar with the new packages (Internet and alcohol). There is some inconsistencies. I was not told that I couldn't use my coupon and only needed about on hour which is the package I purchased essentially making it free with the coupon. When I tried to sign on again and consulted guest services is when I got full explanations of the new plans. You can use the same acct no matter how many blocks of time you purchase. You can purchase the 30min and 60 min packages multiple times during the cruise. The unlimited plan also keeps track of minutes (not sure why since it's unlimited) and you can use C&A coupon for that.

I am not aware of purchasing minutes package but like I said the staff is still getting used to the plans.

Archived