An Unexpected Surprise

AllenF

Sunday my wife and I went down to the Isle of Palms (Charleston) to hit the beach and get some seafood In Mt pleasant at Shems Creek. I was catchin some rays (ok sleeping) when my wife says hey isnt that a Carnival ship I look at and yeap there is the big red fin heading in the the harbor. I had forgot that the Triumph was doing its annual Bahamas run so it was cool to see her sail in. We rode out to patriots point later that evening after dinner to catch a glimps of her across the harbor made me wish I was going.

Lucky Dog! IOP is my favorite place on earth, next to being on a cruise! :rolleyes: We began vacationing there when our son was in USC, and although we have been cruising the last 3 years, it still remains high on our list of places to go! Lucky you can drive there, and enjoy dinner at one of the great places on Shem Creek! :rolleyes:

Yeah we really stuffed ourself at the Waters Edge (restaurant) we watched all the fishing boats come in around 6pm. They really had a great day fishing lots of people had some real nice strings of fish. THe pelicans were lined up getting all the leftovers from the fish cleanings. My wife was wondering why there were so many hanging around before the boats came in. Seems like these pelicans knew what they were doing. We love the Isle of palms it is about a 100 mile drive for us. We usually go justfor the day but we got a room last night in Mt. pleasant.

The year our son graduated we rented a huge house on the IOP and invited all of our family to come and party with us! What a blast! We usually stay at the Sea Cabins and really enjoy them. Love the idea of the beach and the pool. Our weeks at IOP routinely revolve around the beach, visiting Charleston, and eating! So many good restaurants, we usually run out of time before we run out of restaurants! :rolleyes:

Hey Allen....

Always a nice feeling, eh?

I find that too when I'm in NYC, or on the other side of the Hudson, and I see that familiar tail. And it's a nice surprise when it turns out to be something other than the familiar three.

As a kid I loved to be on the West Side Highway in Manhattan. There were always ships in port in those days. The road itself was a nightmare for drivers, but just seeing those beauties like the United States, the Queen Mary, the France, and so on was such a delight. :rolleyes:

Ah...Isle of Palms! We lived in Summerville (SC) for 10-yrs and loved eating along Shem Creek, especially Ronnies! When the shrimp is taken from the boat to your table within minutes is as fresh as it gets! What wonder times we have of living in the Charleston area!

In all the years that we lived there, we were only able to see one cruise ship dock there. Now I hear that they come calling on Charleston several times a year. We did get to see the "Trump Princess" when it docked there a few years ago. Other than that, the biggest ship we saw while living there was the USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point.

:cool: Bill

Checked Summerville out on one of our trips from IOP to Columbia when our son was there. Thought it looked like a great place to live. DH is retiring in Dec 06 and we can't afford to stay in PA. Looking south, but not sure we can afford Charleston either these days. Last time we were in Charleston there was a ship docked, think it was a RCL.

When we were flying home after the Triumph the pilot told those of us on the left side of the place to look down as we passed over Charleston harbor, and there was a ship sailing! Wow, was that cool!

I'm so excited to hear the great reviews of Isle of Palms! I'll be there with a group of nine in just two short weeks, but I honestly had never heard of it before I booked. It just looked great when I found it online! We'll be staying at the Boardwalk Inn. Anyone know anything about it? Anything we shouldn't miss?

I LOVE these boards!!!:)

Try this site for info on Charleston area hotels and info it gives reviews of most places.

http://hotel-guides.us/south-carolina/charleston-sc-hotels.html

Hey Bunkie, I'm an alumni of USC (Go Cocks!)! I also live in on a barrier island outside Charleston so I'd be happy to help you with any information.

Allen, have you eaten at the new restaurant downtown that is on the water yet? Trying to find reviews. I think it is on the old Navy pier.

You are all making me hungry!

Is this place worth a day trip to when I go to Myrtle beach this year? If I remember correctly, Charleston is about a 2 hour drive from the Grand Strand?

Blue,

No we have not eaten there yet :D . We did eat at Ansons( I believe thats the name) last year for my wifes Bday it was very good but a little pricey. That time we stayed at the Ansonborough Inn had a private carriage pick us up and take us a a tour before dropping us off the eat. I picked up big bonus points for that 1 from my wife lol. We like the Windjammer club on the Isle of palms for hanging out also for music and sights. There are so many great places to see there and eat 1 day i hope to do them all lol. I think next time we do the B&B thing we are going to try the Old village post house in Mt. Pleasant.

Archived