Enforcment of Boarding times Voyager of the seas Sydney

camdam

Are the people checking in passengers at the overseas passenger terminal enforcing the boarding times for passengers boarding Voyager of the seas? If you were to arrive 2 or 3 hours earlier then your decks boarding time will you be told to come back later or can you board then?

They didn't seem to be turning anyone away three weeks ago....Not saying they wont (but I doubt that they would)....

If you're a crown and Anchor member you shouldnt have too much trouble getting on board... Esp if you're Platinum or above!

We arrived at 12pm for our NZ Cruise as couple of weeks ago and we were supposed to be several hours later, we were prepared to wait but they waved us through and there was only a hundred or so in the queue, we were on board in under 40 minutes.

Are the people checking in passengers at the overseas passenger terminal enforcing the boarding times for passengers boarding Voyager of the seas? If you were to arrive 2 or 3 hours earlier then your decks boarding time will you be told to come back later or can you board then?

YES WE ARE Unfortunately with a ship of this size and a cruise terminal totally unsuited for a ship of this size there is no other option, as was shown when the Voyager first arrived in Sydney and we had the overnight Booze Crooze. The line stretched back past the Museum and almost to Circular Quay with a two hour wait. Next day when the staggered check in time was enforced there were "almost" no queues of any significance. Having said that, the staff at the front of the line apply a bit of common sense and if someone was to arrive a little early ;) and providing there was not a large amount of guests waiting they "may" let someone on a little earlier ...but yes, in the main staggered check in is being enforced.

Are you allowing Crown & Anchor Gold level guest to board any time through priority check in?

When we boarded Voyager, Crown and Anchor guests from Platnum up were given priority checkin, gold were given priority at their given boarding times, but in saying that our daughter, who is gold was allowed to board with us (platnum). Robin:)

YES WE ARE Unfortunately with a ship of this size and a cruise terminal totally unsuited for a ship of this size there is no other option, as was shown when the Voyager first arrived in Sydney and we had the overnight Booze Crooze. The line stretched back past the Museum and almost to Circular Quay with a two hour wait. Next day when the staggered check in time was enforced there were "almost" no queues of any significance. Having said that, the staff at the front of the line apply a bit of common sense and if someone was to arrive a little early ;) and providing there was not a large amount of guests waiting they "may" let someone on a little earlier ...but yes, in the main staggered check in is being enforced.

Well done, keep up the enforcement of boarding times. Properly enforced, staggered boarding times, reduce queueing impact.

Are you allowing Crown & Anchor Gold level guest to board any time through priority check in?

As Robinph said Crown and Anchor Platinum and above can check in any time. Below that they still get the Priority line the girls use a bit of "common sense";);)

We sailed on 8thDec...Deck 7 2:30pm boarding....we arrived at 2:00pm...dropped our bags in the designated area...then headed down the entry chute.....we were in our cabin drinking Riccadonna at 2:17pm !! No complaints here!

As Robinph said Crown and Anchor Platinum and above can check in any time. Below that they still get the Priority line the girls use a bit of "common sense";);)

Hi Gbenjo - thanks for all the information you are passing on.

Is the system similar for Celebrity Solstice ?

Thanks

Hilary

YES WE ARE ... ... when the staggered check in time was enforced there were "almost" no queues of any significance. Having said that, the staff at the front of the line apply a bit of common sense and if someone was to arrive a little early ;) and providing there was not a large amount of guests waiting they "may" let someone on a little earlier ...but yes, in the main staggered check in is being enforced.

Thank you for the assurance.

I hope we can have smooth boarding for Solstice in March.

Note: there is no boarding time on my Xpress Pass. Maybe later they will inform us???

I did notice though in T&C,s that all guests on the same booking must check in and board at the same time.

This may affect the principal booker who is considering a cabin guest no longer able to go just doing a "No Show" instead of cancelling that person from the stateroom and re booking.

Den

Don't think they are just enforcing the boarding times just for Voyager.

Seems they are for Radiance as well.

Cruise booklet from RCI has a page on staggered boarding times by deck and I received a "re-inforcement" email yesterday also highlighting the staggered boarding.

Have 2 x JS's for the family on 30th Dec NYE Cruise so assumed from all things "Cruise Critic" that I would have priority boarding. But website info and ticket info was unclear. So called RCI yesterday and spoke to a really nice Cruise Consultant who advised that no priority boarding for JS. Only for GS and above - however, (there is always a however it seems) if the lines aren't too long in the priority queue then we may be allowed to use the priority facility. Hmmmmm.

Have the little "Suite" label on the SetSail passes so if I just hold my thumb over the tiny box that says "JS" perhaps we'll skate through anyway.

Having said all this since we are on deck 10 and deck 10 has the first boarding time this all may make no difference whatsoever.

Since as you say you are on deck 10 which boards first the only extras that the GS etc can get is priority, so I would assume that is why the JS doesn't get it?

But I would imagine that all other C&A members regardless of deck would get priority as already discussed in earlier posts.

Earlier this year on Radiance they didn't enforce boarding times at all, I wonder if they do now or if it's just for the extra big ships like Voyager?

I think the pre given boarding time deck by deck is a good thing and no different to being given a sector boarding card at check in.

To be honest my 2.30 boarding time has given me a bit of time space to do other things before I board without the mad rush to beat the long queues and actually arrive at portside before the returning passengers debark.

This pre given time also lessens the wait time for passenger needing special assistance to board, they turn up at their given time and will be assisted aboard straight away and their companions will also board straight away along side them as its the given time for all in that group.

One missed Buffet lunch on a 14 nighter isnt going to bother me much!

But I think special early boarding should be available to some cruisers flying in from out of State especially those on the "Red Eye" from Perth-Sydney!

Den

Also consider those that travel a long distance & have to stay in a Sydney hotel the night before, the hotel kicks you out by mid morning so you can't just decide to arrive in Sydney later in the day.

You can check your main luggage but for many they would still have their carry on bags containing valuables with them that they would have to lugg around Sydney.

Also some people may have several kids in tow with all the baggage necessities that go along with that, so those people may not find having 5 hours to kill a pleasure when they have a whole heap of expensive Sydney priced lunches to buy, as well as deal with the Australia Day weekend crowds. :eek:

Luckily we are on a highish deck with reasonable reasonably early check in & are also C&A so the new priority boarding will help with not having to kill too much time.

For some people Sydney is a big attraction but I worked there for years & don't need to site see. I'm only coming to Sydney to get on a cruise ship, that for me is the initial destination not the city, so the earlier I'm onboard the sooner my holiday starts.:D

I guess what it comes down to is those that like to board asap need to book cabins higher up & pay more for the privilage, or cruise more to get priority boarding as Platinum or above C&A members. Either way boarding early it seems if boarding times are enforced ongoing, will cost you more money at some stage!

Once you reach Platinum in C&A though, you could then book the cheapest cabin on the ship & still board early with the priority boarding, so some options there for frequent cruisers I guess.

Also consider those that travel a long distance & have to stay in a Sydney hotel the night before, the hotel kicks you out by mid morning so you can't just decide to arrive in Sydney later in the day.

You can check your main luggage but for many they would still have their carry on bags containing valuables with them that they would have to lugg around Sydney.

Also some people may have several kids in tow with all the baggage necessities that go along with that, so those people may not find having 5 hours to kill a pleasure when they have a whole heap of expensive Sydney priced lunches to buy, as well as deal with the Australia Day weekend crowds. :eek:

Luckily we are on a highish deck with reasonable reasonably early check in & are also C&A so the new priority boarding will help with not having to kill too much time.

For some people Sydney is a big attraction but I worked there for years & don't need to site see. I'm only coming to Sydney to get on a cruise ship, that for me is the initial destination not the city, so the earlier I'm onboard the sooner my holiday starts.:D

I guess what it comes down to is those that like to board asap need to book cabins higher up & pay more for the privilage, or cruise more to get priority boarding as Platinum or above C&A members. Either way boarding early it seems if boarding times are enforced ongoing, will cost you more money at some stage!

Once you reach Platinum in C&A though, you could then book the cheapest cabin on the ship & still board early with the priority boarding, so some options there for frequent cruisers I guess.

Or just book the highest deck inside cabin :)

Den

Archived