Star: Inside cabin - closet size??

AllAmericanAmy

Hiya :o

We're cruising on NCL Star and are cramming 4 people into an inside cabin. I'm wondering if anyone knows how wide the closet is?

Was talking with dh about some of the tips I'd read to get organized and make the most of a tiny space and I suggested a "closet hanging shelf" organizer (the thingy's with 6 compartments/shelves) to ease the clutter. He thought for a minute and suggested this instead.... Taking a tension rod (shower curtain kind .. they make them in asst'd sizes including very small ones) and essentially doubling our closet space by creating 2 tiers. I am NOT taking a dress (wooohooo) so no need for full length closet space.

Whatcha think?? We need to know the width cuz one of the bars avail. go's up to 40" and the next larger one starts at as small as 36". I'm thinking getting the one that is 36" on small setting up to 52" (or whatever).

Thanks for any input!

The closet should be fine. Most have shelves too.

Sorry but when I read your post I thought you were speaking metaphorically if your inside room will feel like you are in a closet!!! Made me laugh cuz my first cruise on the Norway I shared an inside that I SWEAR was a converted closet. Tiny as could be.

The closets of the inside & oceanview cabins are practically the same on NCL ships, as the Dawn & Jewel class ships including the Star all shared similar specs. & square footage-wise.

The closet is about 30" wide, maybe 28" only - as the typical 25" suitcase w. wheels will lay down flat on the floor space, stack 2 of them high with room for hanging one's blouse, blazer, jacket, shirt & dress, etc. (see photo for an idea.) I do not believe it will yield enough for 2 rows by bringing or adding an adjustable shower rod for a 2nd. tier - maybe for very short pants.

SDC10570-Closet.JPG

You do have up 5 deep shelves that will fit the 5x standard 22" carryon suitcases length-wise and 1 more shelf above the refrigerator for another 22" carryon (my 22" eBags convertible is on the top shelf - flat as the packing cubes are out & placed inside the drawers)

SDC10332-Storage.JPG

OP is most likely flying to the port so you will be better off using packing cubes to keep things neat & clean, organized & flat - ours go directly into the drawer (eBags large packing cube is on the top shelf above the mini-safe used for dress slacks.) Plus, we always bring a few plastic hangers as extra, great for using those 2 hooks outside the bathroom and for use inside the shower with the retractable laundry strings. At the end of the cruise, we just donate them to the stateroom attendant for recycling and/or to keep for use by others, at her/his discretion - and, a few ounces lighter for our luggages to offset other things we've picked up as souvenirs, etc.

I'd try to find a 24"-36" expandable tension rod based upon what others have said size-wise. Just remember you'll have to pack your own hangers since the cruise ship ones are attached to the rod.

I'm like you- I tend to pack MANY things that need to be hung up, and not nearly as much to fill drawers.

Just hang your clothes in the shower on the drying line as well, the ship has a hot tub and salt water pools, and the store that has cologne has sample spray bottles, you will be all good using the shower as additional closet space....:p

DMH & Tiger: lol funny u guys:D

E1 else & especially MKING: Thanks for input. MKing... above and beyond. The photos REALLY helped us and your descriptions were great.

From stuff I had read I thought we were gonna have to sit on our bed holding our suitcases while we slept (or something close to that!) lol

Happy cruising all...:cool:

The closet should be fine. Most have shelves too.

Sorry but when I read your post I thought you were speaking metaphorically if your inside room will feel like you are in a closet!!! Made me laugh cuz my first cruise on the Norway I shared an inside that I SWEAR was a converted closet. Tiny as could be.

My first cruise was also on NCL (1985), in an inside cabin. I think I had the same room! The closet was a rod across the end of the bed! The bed went from one wall to the other!

Store all of your suitcases under the bed. You can also keep infrequently used items in those bags. Maybe bring some extra wire hangars. You wil be fine.

Exactly. I also use one suitcase for a hamper for dirty clothes. I have never stored luggage in a closet on a cruise. To state the obvious - don't over pack (I know, easier said than done).

My first cruise was also on NCL (1985), in an inside cabin. I think I had the same room! The closet was a rod across the end of the bed! The bed went from one wall to the other!

Ours was bunk beds. Not twin size. Oh no. More like berths. About 24" wide. I drew the top. It was about 18" from the ceiling and I am very claustrophobic.

We were young and only were in the room to sleep, shower and change. So, I'd dance til 2 in the morning and fall asleep in that tiny crawl space.

But that first cruise one never forgets. And the Norway to boot!

By comparison, today's inside cabin feels like the Taj Mahal.

Archived