We did the 18th centry plantation tour, Dunns Falls and shopping excursion

boomonster

This is my first review but I wanted to post it since I had so many questions and not enough answers. We booked the excursion through Carnival on the TV in the room because it was $10 cheaper than the pamphlet. Don't know why but with 4 people going why not save $40. Our ages are DH 44, ME 38 , son 21, niece 13.

We were to meet at the end of the pier at 8 am . No problems.

Got onto an air-conditioned bus with Richard our driver. He gave us a tour on the way to the plantation about 15 minute ride. By the way we were the youngest people on the tour( besides 2 of the guides).

We arrived at the plantation and were served punch (no alcohol yet) and they were brewing coffee. There is a gift shop , bathrooms and beverages for purchases. We then boarded a jitney (reminded me of a hayride wagon with benches, hard benches). We headed up the hill and you stop frequently for some history, quirky facts and the like . At most stops you are supposed to get off which is fine if you don't have mobility issues. There were a few that stayed on after a few stops. Just an FYI. You learn about spices ,sugar cane and everyday life on the plantation. You stop and watch a man climb up a coconut tree (bare hands and feet) quite impressive and then you get to sample fresh coconut water and coconut and learn about different fruits and plants. There are animals on the plantation ostrich , camels you can ride, goat , sheep .The last two just kinda wander around. You reach the top of the hill for beautiful views of Jamaica . They will offer to take your picture ($5.00 if you want to buy at the end.) They also serve some strong rum punch at this point. Then back on the jitney to go to the main house. There is a lady in customary dress(?) who will greet you and take you through the roped off sections of the house. Now the tour guides on the jitney and the lady at the house stories about the family were a little different from each other but that was ok. The house is beautiful with a wonderful view off the back porch. She walks you through part of the gardens pointing out various flowers and telling you their uses. You hop back on and away we go again. You go past the Chapel and the college the plantation owners started.I think the camels were by this also.You then head back to the beginning to buy pictures or souveniers or drinks. It was hot and muggy that day and we could of used some bug spray as it is very lush and green there.If you like history or interesting facts this tour is great .Niece wasn't that thrilled with it but really enjoyed the animals and the hands on stuff.We chose it because it encompassed everything we wanted to do in Ocho Rios. We were at the plantation for about 2 hours.Next stop Dunns River Falls

Dunns River Falls. We arrived in our nice air conditioned bus.Wasnt a long ride at all about 20 minutes at most from the plantation. When we got there it was extremely busy . Richard our busdriver told us what time to be back at the bus by 12:25. and note the bus number you are on.A person from the Falls came to our bus and took us to the entrance to get wristbands. There are bathrooms by the front entrance and lockers $8 but you will get $3 back at the end. They asked who was climbing the falls and who was just walking alongside. 3 people were climbing the rest of us just walked. My son has mobility issues with his legs so we were not even going to attempt it. We had 2 guides who kept pretty good track of us. There were a ton of steps but there was usually a railing or something to hold onto to be able to get up and down. We started at the top and walked our way down. It was fun watching the people climbing and trying to climb the falls. Some I wandered what they were thinking because they were not doing so well on the falls.But to each their own. The guides showed us spots to take pictures that made it look like you were in the falls. Other spots for some great pictures of the falls themselves. You walk all the way down to the beach at the bottom of the falls. At the beach there are ambulances waiting just in case and also a nurses station. Bathrooms at the bottom also. We took our shoes off and dipped our toes took some pictures and headed back up. Took a break half way up and sat under a really cool tree. The guides then tells you to exit the falls you have to go through the craft market. Basically he just warned you nothing is for free, just say no if you don't want it, and keep on walking.We stopped right before the market for a pop . Then the fun began. Since we were a little behind the group we were ambushed and when you said no or didn't acknowledge them they pretty much called you everything under the sun. They don't touch you but pretty much shove everything in your face or try to shove it in your hand. We survived though. We got to the bus and the 3 that climbed the falls were not back yet. At 12:45 we left without them . Richard said he would come back for them but he was on a time schedule. I can't think of anything worse than coming back and your bus is gone.(I did see them later on the ship so they got back somehow).

We then went to a secure shopping center by the port. Richard gave us about 45 minutes to shop if you wanted a ride back to the port. We opted to walk it since it was only 5-10 minutes away. Pretty much had all your usual souveneirs. No one to hound you though. But they do follow you around the store. We grabbed a few tshirts and magnets. They will bargain with you the longer we lingered the cheaper the tshirts got.

We ended up at a little coffee bistro /bar there. Tried some jerk chicken with red beans and rice and a Coca Cola light( diet coke) .Was $12.00 and a pretty good size portion(half a chicken ). Then we headed back to the port. Along the way the street was lined with what we call panhandlers. We turned into the port area and various people trying to sell stuff but they didn't seem as pushy . So if you need something right before you get on the ship they have you covered. We arrived back to our floating home @2:15 . It was a day well spent.

• 1 month later...
Dunns River Falls. We arrived in our nice air conditioned bus.Wasnt a long ride at all about 20 minutes at most from the plantation. When we got there it was extremely busy . Richard our busdriver told us what time to be back at the bus by 12:25. and note the bus number you are on.A person from the Falls came to our bus and took us to the entrance to get wristbands. There are bathrooms by the front entrance and lockers $8 but you will get $3 back at the end. They asked who was climbing the falls and who was just walking alongside. 3 people were climbing the rest of us just walked. My son has mobility issues with his legs so we were not even going to attempt it. We had 2 guides who kept pretty good track of us. There were a ton of steps but there was usually a railing or something to hold onto to be able to get up and down. We started at the top and walked our way down. It was fun watching the people climbing and trying to climb the falls. Some I wandered what they were thinking because they were not doing so well on the falls.But to each their own. The guides showed us spots to take pictures that made it look like you were in the falls. Other spots for some great pictures of the falls themselves. You walk all the way down to the beach at the bottom of the falls. At the beach there are ambulances waiting just in case and also a nurses station. Bathrooms at the bottom also. We took our shoes off and dipped our toes took some pictures and headed back up. Took a break half way up and sat under a really cool tree. The guides then tells you to exit the falls you have to go through the craft market. Basically he just warned you nothing is for free, just say no if you don't want it, and keep on walking.We stopped right before the market for a pop . Then the fun began. Since we were a little behind the group we were ambushed and when you said no or didn't acknowledge them they pretty much called you everything under the sun. They don't touch you but pretty much shove everything in your face or try to shove it in your hand. We survived though. We got to the bus and the 3 that climbed the falls were not back yet. At 12:45 we left without them . Richard said he would come back for them but he was on a time schedule. I can't think of anything worse than coming back and your bus is gone.(I did see them later on the ship so they got back somehow).

We then went to a secure shopping center by the port. Richard gave us about 45 minutes to shop if you wanted a ride back to the port. We opted to walk it since it was only 5-10 minutes away. Pretty much had all your usual souveneirs. No one to hound you though. But they do follow you around the store. We grabbed a few tshirts and magnets. They will bargain with you the longer we lingered the cheaper the tshirts got.

We ended up at a little coffee bistro /bar there. Tried some jerk chicken with red beans and rice and a Coca Cola light( diet coke) .Was $12.00 and a pretty good size portion(half a chicken ). Then we headed back to the port. Along the way the street was lined with what we call panhandlers. We turned into the port area and various people trying to sell stuff but they didn't seem as pushy . So if you need something right before you get on the ship they have you covered. We arrived back to our floating home @2:15 . It was a day well spent.

WOW! He just left them! I would be so angry! We will be taking this excursion next month. I'm glad to know they might leave us at the falls! Glad that is our last port. I will be sure to bring our passports. And I will be prepared to take a taxi back to the ship.

Actually I will mention this to the driver of our van. We will make it clear we expect to be taken back to the ship! One of the only reasons we booked this excursion with Carnival was so they would wait for us if it ran over. Now I'm finding out that the ship's tour leaves the passengers at the falls. LOL. Well knowledge is power...glad to be in the know!

Thanks!!

Archived