Those Horrid Aft Cabins

leilow

Good Morning Cheryl,

We have never been on a Freedom yet but hope to sail on Freedom or Indy in 2015. I have booked our first aft on Serenade. I managed to get 1100. I will wait and see what all the fuss is about.

We plan to go to Alaska in 2014 and would like 1100 on that cruise,

Alex

Enjoy.

Okay, consider yourself WARNED.

If you book a Royal Family Suite on a "Freedom" class ship, DO NOT book the ones on Deck 8.

Those balconies are unprotected. Whenever they wash the windows of Windjammer, your balcony will be awash in soapy, dirty water. And most of the time the ship will NOT inform you that washing will be taking place.

Thank you for your attention.

We had 8714 in August...no soot, no water, no smoke..NO NOISE!!!!!

No problems, mon.

However..there was very little breeze ever and not any shade. We love to balcony-read, could not do so until late afternoon.

All we got hit with were some ping pong balls..but they seem to follow us on every cruise.

I have read many posts from people loving the AFT cabins....but compared to what? Other balcony cabins? inside?

How would one compare an AFT to a GS? Would one give up a GS for an AFT?

(and I'm not talking $$, just in regards the cabin layout, location, in itself)

If someone had a AFT booked, and was offered a FREE upgrade to a GS, would you take it? Or stay with the AFT?

I have read many posts from people loving the AFT cabins....but compared to what? Other balcony cabins? inside?

If someone had a AFT booked, and was offered a FREE upgrade to a GS, would you take it? Or stay with the AFT?

On the Radiance class you can have a GS aft cabin 1100. I would not give up my aft cabin on certain sailings for a GS. I would not give up an aft cabin on a Panama Canal cruise, nor would I give it up for an Alaskan cruise. I have my preferences set for my July cruise do not upgrade. That cruise is to Alaska. On a Panama Canal cruise it gets very hot. If you have an aft cabin you can sit in the shade on your balcony and go through the locks order room service never leave your cabin and have the best seat in the house IMHO.

Taken from those "horrid" aft cabins. We also booked 18 months in advance and RCI dangled a carrot for us 8 months out to upgrade but we refused and absolutely loved our view.

radbal.jpg.c99cf2374e394d06604779fe4ec108fe.jpg

balconynight.jpg.f9fc7c585b35f60144b52f66febfe5b6.jpg

I upgraded at the last minute for an Aft two bedroom suite. The beautiful large balcony could not be used for the soot. The closet door and room made noise all night, but I enjoyed the view and the spacious cabin. I doubt if I will ever book another one.

Which ship was this?

hmmmm.. that's a tough question!..... love aft cabins (my reasoning.. let all the others break the waves, especially in rough seas).....not to mention those nice deep balconies.. on Radiance we had 5 chaise lounges plus a dining table ... compared to other balcony cabins I would take an aft... but would have to think really hard to up to a GS.. of course I've never been lucky enough to have to think about that...

I think most are comparing standard balcony/aft balcony, standard JS/aft JS etc. 1100 on the Radiance is a JS, I would not give that up for a GS. I've been in 1600 next door. That balcony is smaller.

I have 8168 in Alaska, looking forward to it.

Would I give up 8168 (D2 corner aft) for a GS anywhere on the Radiance? Yes probably. But not for a JS anywhere ;)

We have our first aft and JS. We are excited about the larger balcony. There will be 3 of us cruising and should all have plenty of space. :)

Cathy

You will love it . Just dont make the same mistake I did the first time I was on The AOS and turn the wrong way :eek: Now thats a long walk. ;);)

Unfortunately, last night I found out that we had been "upgraded" to a Jr Suite, 8582, on the Vision for Jan. We are in 7652, our friends in 7152, corner afts. I panicked!!! Emailed my TA, she was on the phone with RCI this AM for an hour, convincing them to move the folks they put in our cabins into the Jr Suites. What a nightmare. They did not contact us or our TA, I only found out by logging into the RCI website. Thank goodness it all turned out and we are back where we belonged, we booked a year ago!!!

Nice I wouldnt mind a upgrade for our next cruise we are only in a large interior the only type of room i would not want is a room that has ajoining doors, on my second cruise I heard way too much if you know what I mean and I dont want to hear that again. also we were rarely in our room last time

Actually I can answer that question for you. We have Navigator booked B2B in Feb. For the first week, we have our favorite JS Aft. For the second week, we wait listed for it but couldn't get it. So we have to move to a GS. If they called me today and offered the JS Aft, I would take it and they could keep the difference in price. No I will not tell you the cabin number because it's hard enough to book it as it is.

Never stayed in an AFT, always stay in a GS......

We have had friends who have, and also visited on cabin Crawls.....

Yes, the balconies are deep....but the cabin itself....I'll pass.

One wall was curved, and there was a pole in the middle of the room....made me feel claustrophobic.

Plus, and I'm sure many will disagree....but I have always felt a vibration...

I can feel it in the windjammer above also....

And depending on the ship...the view can be obstructed, worse on lower decks, and looking down is another balcony....

I'll stick with a GS...plenty of room there, lots of closets and drawers, full size bathrooms, TV with surround sound, and yes a large balcony with plenty of chairs, a lounger and table.

But if you're comparing an AFT balcony to a E1 balcony, or worse yet a non-balcony cabin, then I can certainly understand the attraction in comparison....

I would take any GS over any aft balcony cabin. And yes I DO have the coveted cabin JS 1100 booked for 2 weeks in New Zealand. There are 2 suites still available for our cruise and a free upgrade to either of them would be welcome. I switched to cabin 1100 from another JS when I saw it was 1 of just 2 junior suites available.

I also gave up JS 1100 on a 12 night Mediterranean cruise when the price of a GS dropped to just a small amount more than we paid for the JS ($80 pp).

I have a few upcoming afts booked - and will gladly take any free upgrade or even pay as long as it's not extremely costly.

Gina

Unfortunately, last night I found out that we had been "upgraded" to a Jr Suite, 8582, on the Vision for Jan. We are in 7652, our friends in 7152, corner afts. I panicked!!! Emailed my TA, she was on the phone with RCI this AM for an hour, convincing them to move the folks they put in our cabins into the Jr Suites. What a nightmare. They did not contact us or our TA, I only found out by logging into the RCI website. Thank goodness it all turned out and we are back where we belonged, we booked a year ago!!!

It's scary how many of these stories there are lately. And always it's the first cabin holder that has to fight to get their cabin back. Lots of people losing their afts. *goes to check mine again*

They told my TA today that at "sometime in the past" I had, on my C & A profile, said I wanted an automatic upgrade, and since we were Diamond they thought that we would want the Jr Suite. I was at work all day and communicating on my iphone. I told her I would check my C & A profile when I got home. Nope....on upgrade preferences I had checked NOTHING....no automatic, no restrictions, NOTHING!! Also, our friends on the cruise with us in 7152(Platinum, not Diamond) were also "upgraded" to a Jr Suite. Very interesting that RCI decided, arbitrarily, to move both corner afts to different connecting Jr Suites without contacting us or the TA. I smell a fish. I am just glad that we are moved back.....I hope when we get there that there isn't another couple thinking that they really lucked out and got the corner aft. Since RCI didn't notify us of our "upgrade", maybe they won't notify them either....

OP and all, thanks for making me laugh--hilarious!

One of the crosses I have had to bear in life is my mixed marriage. I love afts. My better half hates them. Something about the vibrations. Heck, according to my partner, the vibrations can even spoil a good dinner (because they are not good, good, good, good vibrations...groan...sorry, I couldn't resist :p).

But this is a first world problem.

Carry on, and in 2013, may all your cabins be afts!

I would take any GS over any aft balcony cabin. And yes I DO have the coveted cabin JS 1100 booked for 2 weeks in New Zealand. There are 2 suites still available for our cruise and a free upgrade to either of them would be welcome. I switched to cabin 1100 from another JS when I saw it was 1 of just 2 junior suites available.

I also gave up JS 1100 on a 12 night Mediterranean cruise when the price of a GS dropped to just a small amount more than we paid for the JS ($80 pp).

I have a few upcoming afts booked - and will gladly take any free upgrade or even pay as long as it's not extremely costly.

Gina

Gina...a few is three! You have more then a FEW afts booked:eek::eek:, but who is counting...LOL!

BILL

Archived