Those Horrid Aft Cabins

leilow

And everyone says that most people today are so self-centered and uncaring- it's all about me. They should read this thread just to see how much compassion and understanding you show your fellow crusiers. I want to thank you for doing this and forcing me into a GS. ;)

OK folks, I’ve seen all kinds of high praise and gushing banter tossed around on these boards about those mythical bits of nirvana often referred to as “Aft Cabins” (whispered with a reverent lowered voice). Let me set the record straight on this conspiracy and expose the truth about those hell holes called “Aft Cabins”.

1. These pits of despair really are at the back (“Aft”) of the ship. Imagine yourself on embarkation day, sea pass eagerly in hand with that magic stateroom number (the one you triumphantly hunted down and booked eighteen months ago). You run to the aft elevators, eyes shining in anticipation, hop off on the correct floor and turn towards the “Aft”. You skip down the hallway, carry-on luggage thumping behind, watching those numbers on the doors slowly increase. After ten minutes it’s more like a trudge than a skip, but it’ll be worth it. Thirty-five minutes later, you arrive breathless on wobbly legs at the magical door. Surely the spasms of pain from those calf cramps will subside in a few hours. Maybe a stop for sustenance at the Windjammer would have been a good idea before inspecting the cabin? Then you hear the announcement, muster drill is in ten minutes. Where’s your station? Way back up there by the elevators? Oh Noooo.

2. They expect you to sleep right above those thrashing, multi-ton blades of death called propellers. Soothing vibrations my a**…might as well strap the mattress on top of a rock crusher from the local pit mine. Got any loose fillings? They’ll be gone in a week.

3. Is it a balcony or a slag heap? These “Aft Cabins” are all about the balconies. A few flakes of soot here and there are a small price to pay for the magnificent balcony, right? It’ll be OK, black lung doesn’t kill immediately and I’m sure no one will notice the black streaks on your shorts and tee shirt from that first nap on the slag-o-lounger.

4. Always wanted to ride the Cyclone at Coney Island for seven days straight? You’re in luck! You booked a room at the very end of the teeter-totter. Sorry, the bed does not have seat belts…just keep a death grip on the edge of the bed and you’ll be fine. You remembered to bring that big bottle of meclizine, right?

5. Too tired to make that looong trek for a sandwich and a cookie at the Café Promenade? How about some room service? No problem, a quick call, then settle down with a good book. Perhaps “War and Peace” would be appropriate, it’s going to be a while before room service finds you. Remember to tip the wait staff well, they lost three pound of body weight bringing you that sandwich.

There you have it folks. It’s all a conspiracy by the cruise lines to fill the most depraved quarters on the ship and to have them booked more than a year in advance! Save yourself, call your travel agent now, get on the computer, change that “Aft Cabin” reservation to a nice civilized balcony on the “Hump”. In a most magnanimous gesture, I herby vow to suffer and submit to the terrors of the “Aft Cabin” to save the rest of you from the horrors described above.

Thank you for your attention, your regularly scheduled programming will now resume.

Now that was TTTTTOOOOOOOOOO funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(we never take aft cabins)

try being back there as it's raining and the ship is moving forward and the rain is dumping / swirling off the back of the boat as if a "breaking wave" -- heading INTO your cabin...

Oh, GREAT! Now you tell me! :eek:

I have always been in the Hump cabins. Booked my first aft for 2014.

Guess I will be suffering!:D:D

Me too; gave up center hump for that aft. Sounds like I made a huge mistake. I wonder if I could pay someone to take it from me? In fact, I'll offer a free dinner every night! I think that's fair

I, for one, am really happy that many of you on this thread don't like afts as this means we should always be able to book one....NOT. They are almost always booked!

We've been in aft balconies on Jewel and Radiance and loved it. Seriously, folks, it's not THAT far to the stairs and just a bit further to the elevators for those who don't climb stairs. We consider it good exercise.

It's never been noisy (we typically get Deck 10); yes, sometimes when you are on the balcony you can hear people above you at the Windjammer Cafe (or whatever it is) but we've never had trouble with anyone throwing food at us or anything like that.

We're stepping up to the aft GS 1600 on our next cruise on Serenade.

Anyway, keep advertising how awful they are so those who really want 'em can book 'em!

Seriously, cruising really is to each their own. I don't get the whole hump thing myself.

Just returned from Jewel aft cabin 1604 last week, our first aft cabin. It was a longish walk, but we needed it. A friend asked about the soot - I told her the stacks on top of the ship take care of that several levels higher. Hie hie hie! We liked it - all that space, and lounge chairs, oh my gosh, the ultimate luxury. You have the beauty of a balcony, but not 50 balconies to the left and right, only a few in each direction - that was nice, all the privacy. The only thing I noticed is we didn't get to see the shipping traffic until they were astern, but that was a tradeoff for the relaxing wake sights and sounds. We loved it.

The aft cabins on the Radiance Class are the WORST!

I don't know. The corner aft cabins on the Vision and the Rhapsody may be "worser" since they really do wraparound.

All I know is that, in the true spirit being displayed here, I'll always make the sacrifice and take an aft on either of those two ships or on any Radiance class ship - just to save everyone the long walk and the horrid view of the wake. Heck, I'll even risk the superstructure and "try" to enjoy the RFS we are sharing with friends on the Liberty next month.

We have booked our first aft for March - the coveted 7708 - a corner aft. I suppose the downside of the corner part is that we will get the spray from the sea through that monstrous side "window".

Can't wait. :)

Ok! Ok! Enough! I got it! After all this talk about doing something for others, and since it soon is Christmas, I decided that my fiancee and myself will do our share. We will sacrifice our own honeymoon. 7172 at Jewel is taken care of during the 21-28.Sept sailing.

Yes, it is a huge sacrifice to make...

Just off the Noordam in an aft-balcony wrap-around suite (4180) and thoroughly enjoyed it! As you can see from the Pros/Cons below, there may be things some of you are sensitive to - hopefully this will help you make an informed decision.

Happy Holidays!

Cons:

Sounds of prop-wash

Possible soot and exhaust odor (minimal on Noordam)

Not 100% private depending upon ship and terracing of the stern (75% private on Noordam)

Requires extra walking vs mid-ship

Vibration and harmonics due to extreme ends of ship (very minimal on Noordam)

Extra mooring noise (winches, etc. - minimal on Noordam)

Potential reduced privacy in port from sterns or bow of neighboring ships

Pros:

Sounds of prop wash on the balcony

View of wake

Panoramic view of 1/2+ of the area around the ship

Quiet from noise above and below on Noodam

Largest balcony on the ship short of the penthouse suite - can host a party - we did!

Awesome views in most ports or at anchor

Pic attached:

<a href=2012-12-07%2011.44.18_DxO-L.jpg' alt='20

Before I read your last full paragraph I was ready to jump in saying to each their own and you must be crawling for it to take 35 min. to reach an aft cabin. But then I read it. Thank you for your sacrifice.

I too will always "sacrifice" and take an aft balcony so that others do not experience the "horrors" you describe.

Just off the Noordam in an aft-balcony wrap-around suite (4180) and thoroughly enjoyed it! As you can see from the Pros/Cons below, there may be things some of you are sensitive to - hopefully this will help you make an informed decision.

Happy Holidays

Pic attached:

<a href=2012-12-07%2011.44.18_DxO-L.jpg' alt='20

Wow! That's an awesome balcony.

I love Aft cabins also but something to note: on the larger ships such as the Freedom class there are only 2 sets of elevators and it is a HIKE to the aft cabins. In September we were on the Freedom 7414 jr. suite and it wasn't a great move since husbands was 6 weeks out from hip replacement surgery (no he is not in his 80s) and I fell and tore my meniscus in my knee (2 50 somethings). That hike down that long hallway was brutal but healthy it would FABULOUS! The only downside is there is a extra deck under you and you don't have open/unlimited ocean views. I'm not a huge Carnival fan but their aft suites on deck 12 are wraparound gorgeous. I would go again just for that cabin.

Yes, please spread the word to not book aft cabins. I was on the 8th deck aft on the Serenade of the Seas, and it was possibly the best vacation of my life. It was ridiculously reasonable before the Aft craze really came about. So please, let us all try to get these cabins cheaper by spreading the word. :)

PS. I experience no vibrations. Maybe a tad more movement, but that is all.

Had our first aft cabin last year on the Exporer. Never again - long walks, bad views. Don't understand all the hype on these boards.

Which deck were you on? We have never been in an aft, we have our first booked for next year on the Explorer, deck 10. I'm trying to avoid the superstructure. I don't think I'd book on decks 6, 7 or 8. I think deck 9 is the RFS.

Archived