Those Horrid Aft Cabins

leilow

Yes and no. Depends on the cabin and the ship. Some ships make a lot more soot than others. Some aft balconies have an overhang above them and get no soot, rain or sun. But as others have said, if you have never tried one, please don't. You will hate it. Just leave it for those of us who volunteer to suffer an aft for your sake.:D

It's too late. I'm locked in already. I'll just have to suffer through it. ;)

• 8 months later...

I'd forgotten about this one. I'll update that yes, we had soot on the Navigator, and it was annoying. So annoying that we booked another aft on Jewel. We found that we didn't spend extended amounts of time on the balcony anyway, so the soot was tolerable for the incredible view and privacy we had. Just going in to the ports with that view is so worth it.

We are very selfless people as well.

We are bring forced to take 7688 on voyager of the seas.

I think the captain is worried about reversing the ship out of the port which faces the Sydney harbour bridge & opera house.

Hubby is used to helping me reverse my station wagon, so he will stand on the corner aft and ensure that the captain doesn't hit the harbour bridge will reversing. He will be taking photos during this time in case of incident.

Hubby will ensure as the ship sails past the opera house that the captain stays on course and doesn't run into it.

On our return to Sydney hubby will stand on his aft corner and ensure that the ship makes it safely into port after going past the opera house & bridge again.

The captain will thank hubby for helping him make it past these landmarks.

Will post the photographic evidence on our return.

AFT ones are fine I get a great view and I never, feel the ship rock. we did one night on the Allure, last cruise but that was it.. I am overweight and never am tired from walking around. some people like to complain and its some peoples preference, for me its all about the best deal I can get :)

I am so dissappointed. I got stuck with one of those horrid aft balconies on the Serenade out of NOLA in 3/2014. It's a suite - #1100; and I'm also stuck in 1702 on IOS this March. Somebody help me... LOLOL

I got 1100 in October. We will look after it for you.

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2

And I have 1100 in April! Oh, the horror!

In fact, I have a group of us going on a B2B on Serenade, and we have four aft cabins booked!:eek:

Fortunately for me, on the second leg 1100 was taken (2 years out! :() so I was forced to move to a GS.........;)

I think the captain is worried about reversing the ship out of the port which faces the Sydney harbour bridge & opera house.

Hubby is used to helping me reverse my station wagon, so he will stand on the corner aft and ensure that the captain doesn't hit the harbour bridge will reversing. He will be taking photos during this time in case of incident.

Hubby will ensure as the ship sails past the opera house that the captain stays on course and doesn't run into it.

I am picturing one of those extended side view mirrors attached to the side of the ship and angled so the captain can see your husband's hand signals.

Yep, it just seems people won't learn from the warnings. Can you believe it, hubby and I, trying to selflessly save people from ruining their vacations on an aft, got the last available aft on Legend Feb 3/14, a year in advance. What were all these people thinking, carelessly booking afts a year in advance????

I do want to thank the CC community for warning me against these terrible aft cabins in the first place, and then also alerting me to my responsibility to suck it up for the greater good by always booking an aft, so others might not needlessly suffer.

There is still much work to do. We should keep doing it.

I am picturing one of those extended side view mirrors attached to the side of the ship and angled so the captain can see your husband's hand signals.

Yes and my husband will be screaming out things like "back, back, just a little but more......STOP. You just knocked over the harbour bridge"

I have had 1688 on the AOS booked for over a year because the afts are terrible and nobody wants them , but I took it so nobody else would have to suffer through it for a week :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Ahhhhhh, good call!

We had the post meet and mingle party on that balcony on the Explorer. Many converts....and that was DECEMBER in the Atlantic one day out from Bayonne.

I guess I can say this must be why the new Quantum has the big suites aft; why Princess puts their biggest and best suites aft and why my DH will cruise in nothing else.

The walk? As my teenager says......oh plllleeeeaaaassasseeeeee!

Haha, funny post all together.

I hope everyone runs from the aft because I'll happily take them off your hands. My family loves when the Royal Family Suites are aft because it means an awesome balcony/view and some privacy.

It's never quiet aft since everyone is constantly walking past your door.... or not. ;)

To everyone.....Don't believe what the OP is telling you! I have never had an AFT but I have heard from reliable sources that they are the best cabins on the ship! Getting one would be the highlight of your cruising experience. Why I am telling you this when it is being said that they are the worst??????? Well because I know that some people have heard about the center hump cabins have being the best and in a prime location. I book center hump cabins and I can say unequivocally that the "Center" Hump Cabins are the worst and you really would not like it and would be wasting your dollars to book one. My suggestion would be to immediately get on the phone, website or call your TA to change you booking to a prime real estate aft cabin from that disatrous hump cabin. :eek:

In the meantime I will do my best to protect folks on any given cruise by always booking the Center Hump cabin to keep you all from making the grave misstake of not going aft! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi -- I am booked in cabin 9704 on the Indy next November -- I am aware of the door and window -- should I be aware of any other pitfalls concerning this particular balcony -- thanks!!!

Hi .. Just got off the Indy a few days ago & was in 9704 for our 12 night Cruise ... I loved the Cabin & the View, Seriously the view is breath taking.. We never had a problem with soot ... And it is quiet and very private.. you have to remember that it is a bit away from the Elevator... and you do hear the grind and can feel motion from the propellers or azipod's or what ever they are, which didn't really bother me ... But the major downfall for us was, you feel EVERYTHING, I don't mind feeling the Ocean's movement, I actually find it quite relaxing normally ... but we hit a little bit of rough seas and it was really bad...

I am glad I had the opportunity to experience an Aft Balcony, but personally, I think in the future I will stick with mid ship ....

7408 is my favorite!!! One cruise we put daughter and grandkids there and we took 7410. A long walk but very quiet at night.No soot and huge balcony with lounge chairs.

Probably should have kept my mouth shut. lol

Great! Who gave you permission to post about my real estate #7408 on the Freedom??? :rolleyes: It looked so terrible my TA only convinced us to take it with a $200 OBC... talk about twisting my arm!:D

Oh, and there is a youtube video online about the Liberty of the Seas AFT balcony 7408

Having been balcony snobs from day 1, I am looking forward to this corner aft balcony. Paradise awaits us!!!!!

To everyone.....Don't believe what the OP is telling you! I have never had an AFT but I have heard from reliable sources that they are the best cabins on the ship! Getting one would be the highlight of your cruising experience. Why I am telling you this when it is being said that they are the worst??????? Well because I know that some people have heard about the center hump cabins have being the best and in a prime location. I book center hump cabins and I can say unequivocally that the "Center" Hump Cabins are the worst and you really would not like it and would be wasting your dollars to book one. My suggestion would be to immediately get on the phone, website or call your TA to change you booking to a prime real estate aft cabin from that disatrous hump cabin. :eek:

In the meantime I will do my best to protect folks on any given cruise by always booking the Center Hump cabin to keep you all from making the grave misstake of not going aft! :cool:

Exactly!

Barbiegtor posted a photo of the aft of the Freedom, if these cabins are "so horrible" why then would RCI place 5 suites on the back end?:rolleyes:

Location location location.

Booked an aft once (corner aft).

Hated it. Truly! :(

Vibration was so bad, we had to prop books etc against the drawers to keep them shut during the night.

Couldn't read on the balcony since the constant vibration made us nauseous.

Also, you can't see where the ship is going, only see where you've been.

Its like sitting backwards in a car or bus. Very strange. :cool:

After that cruise, we thought never again. Not sure what people see in an aft, but we don't care to try and find out.

Hump cabins certainly have an edge over aft for us.

But for those who like 'em - enjoy! :)

Archived