Review: Ben the Bendy Man's Gem of an Adventure, Dec 13 - Dec 22, 2012

kylenyc

Kyle I can't wait to you tell our Moderno Saga. That was alot of fun as well. Suzanne

Thanks for keeping the secret about what happened to Ben until now? You didn't really want me to tell THAT part of the Moderno story did you? LOL! :p:p

Love your review. One question - how are solos treated at the specialty restaurants? I see you mention that you can opt to share in the MDR. Will they do the same thing at other venues or must you sit alone? I'm considering the Gem and I'm curious.

Thanks.

this is great Ben and KyleNYC.....each review you do gets better than before.:D

Awww thanks. Didn't know if anyone would like a second Ben review. Means a lot. So glad you like them both. I have a pretty good idea for Ben on the Breakaway maiden TA in April. Might do something different because I just know they'll be some the great CC photogs and bloggers on it. Not sure. :p

Love your review. One question - how are solos treated at the specialty restaurants? I see you mention that you can opt to share in the MDR. Will they do the same thing at other venues or must you sit alone? I'm considering the Gem and I'm curious.

Thanks.

Hi Judy. Sorry I've never dined solo in the specialty restaurants. I've been lucky to meet some really nice people from the CC M&G and go together to the specialty restaurants. Maybe someone else here has?

Awww thanks. Didn't know if anyone would like a second Ben review. Means a lot. So glad you like them both. I have a pretty good idea for Ben on the Breakaway in April. Might do something different because I just know they'll be some the great CC photogs and bloggers on it. :p

Hi Judy. Sorry I've never dined solo in the specialty restaurants. I've been lucky to meet some really nice people from the CC M&G and go together to the specialty restaurants. Maybe someone else here has?

Kyle

You are stuck with us now

Suzanne

Day 7 - Tuesday, December 18, 2012 (Continued)

Zip line and touring Samaná, Dominican Republic

After Ben disappeared cartwheeling into the thick forest under brush on his own little jungle adventure, Ben's faithful assistant guiltily finished the zip lines. When he got to the end, he was guided by one of the local children along the riverbank trail back to the bus. The bus was parked by a merchant selling souvenirs where we waited for the others in our tour group to return. When we were all gathered, we were given a short presentation locally grown fruits, vegetables, and spices and offered samples, and chance to purchase items such as mahogany wood carvings, jewelry, mama juana, and raw cocoa.

P1000131.JPG

Cocoa beans being sun dried nearby

We then boarded the bus for a short ride to the beach where we enjoyed a delicious traditional Dominican meal and enjoyed views of the sand and surf before heading back on the ride back to Terry's office.

P1000143x.JPG

Restaurant Paradiso at Playa del Valle beach

P1000144.JPG

Playa del Valle

The beach was beautiful but no lifeguards were on duty and swimming wasn't allowed due to the dangerous undertoe. There was a local police officer there presumably to enforce the rule to ensure no one wandered into the surf.

P1000150.JPG

One of the local children welcomes visitors with a reed bracelet

P1000153.JPG

Buffet lunch at Restaurant Paradiso

P1000154.JPG

Jerk chicken & fish, plantains, and rice. Deelish!

(Continued)

Zip line and touring Samaná, Dominican Republic

After our meal and a brief time at the beach, we headed back to Terry's office and given a few minutes to browse the shops next door before heading back to the marina. Before we headed back to the marina, the bus driver headed in the opposite direction for drive through the local market.

The entire experience of the zip line and tour from beginning to end was amazing. No only did we enjoy a thrilling ride on 12 ziplines but we got to very good experience into some the food, culture, and life in Samana from the developing waterfront to the mountainside plantations and villages.

P1000161.JPG

A primitive weightlifting bench along the roadside

P1000164.JPG

Consortio Banca y Nino Cambio (Bank and little exchange)

P1000174.JPG

Mountainside view of the Gem

P1000186.JPG

Local shops next door to Terry's offices

P1000191.JPG

A ride through a local marketplace - Ropas Asadas y Mas (Used Clothing and More)

P1000196.JPG

(Continued)

Ziplining and touring Samaná, Dominican Republic

P1000201.JPG

Returning from Terry's office - The Gem far off in the distance.

P1000206.JPG

Samana Bay Marina.

P1000207.JPG

Tendering alongside the Gem.

P1000212.JPG

Hotel Director Jenny Lim is among those greeting returning passengers.

P1000222.JPG

A towel mouse tries to cheer up Ben's butler.

P1000223.JPG

Michael on the pearly whites in the Star Bar

After returning to the ship, the realization that he had lost his bendy companion began to sunk in. Luckily he had his cruise critic friends like Suzanne to poke and tease him relentlessly all night ::grins:: as well as another friendly entertainer Michael whom he had met in 2011 on the Gem and was pleasantly surprised to see again. Unfortunately, he was still too distracted to take pictures at dinner.

Next up: Martini Tasting, Moderno Churrascarria, rough seas

Omg Kyle I was worried about where you were. I even started a thread. So glad your ok now I can sleep. Hugs kisses maria

Hi Maria! OMG has it been that long? Sorry haven't posted any updates in a few day. Got caught up with work and then visiting family. Ben's fine...He hasn't been caught by Samana's immigration police yet. xoxoxo :)

Awww thanks. Didn't know if anyone would like a second Ben review. Means a lot. So glad you like them both. I have a pretty good idea for Ben on the Breakaway maiden TA in April. Might do something different because I just know they'll be some the great CC photogs and bloggers on it. Not sure. :p

You're going on the BREAKAWAY, too ?!?! O-M-G!! Its an absolute MUST for Ben to do a special review of the new ship....LOL! We're booked on the Breakaway for Bermuda in September. The final payment is due sometime in June be we are holding off on anything until we get some reviews. I am hoping to see pics of every nook and cranny of the new ship...LOL! (cumulative...not necessarily all from Ben...LOL!!:p). I wanna see cabins, restaurants, theatres, workout room/gym, bars, promenades, cafes - you name it!! :p:p

You're going on the BREAKAWAY, too ?!?! O-M-G!! Its an absolute MUST for Ben to do a special review of the new ship....LOL! We're booked on the Breakaway for Bermuda in September. The final payment is due sometime in June be we are holding off on anything until we get some reviews. I am hoping to see pics of every nook and cranny of the new ship...LOL! (cumulative...not necessarily all from Ben...LOL!!:p). I wanna see cabins, restaurants, theatres, workout room/gym, bars, promenades, cafes - you name it!! :p:p

Yeah wooohoo! Thanks. Ben will do his best. There aren't any port days to explore the ship by himself and sneak a free game of bowling when no one's watching. :p I'm pretty sure there will be some excellent CC blogger/photographer/reviewers on the ship too. The roll call is nearing 200. :eek: I may set up a real blog for this trip because I'll be in Iceland and Netherlands, Britain over a week before the cruise. I wonder what they will think of Ben and his personal assistant. :eek:

Day 8 - Thursday, December 20, 2012 (Continued)

Margarita tasting, Moderno Churrascaria

Ben's assistant woke up late the next morning. He hardly noticed not having his bendy boss to poke and prod him out of bed until after he slept his fill. He headed up to the gym for a workout then back to his cabin to shower and dress. By then it was time for the Margarita Tasting.

The Margarita Tasting was not one of the regular scheduled tastings aboard the Gem. Cruise Critic member paradise sailer (Steve) helped arrange it with the group events coordinator on board. Steve helped entice the minimum of 20 people needed to attend in order to get the special tasting and the cost was $15 per person for 4 nicely sized margaritas. I knew I wouldn't finish four and so shared mine with Sabrina. The two that I had were delicious.

A Martini Tasting followed and despite my better judgement, I stayed for that as well (I was sharing them after all). Sorry I didn't take pictures of the margaritas, only the martinis. I definitely like the margaritas more than the martinis - the latter being rather strong for me (especially after two margaritas) but I enjoyed taking a little sip of each.

The Gem had several martini tastings (this on being the third) and each tasting was different. There were also numerous Beer Tasting, Whiskey & Bourbon Tasting, Wine Tasting, and other drink specials such as a daily Happy Hour 2-for-1 special and pub crawl.

P1000235.JPG

Maurice mixes up a martini for our tasting

P1000241.JPG

After the Margarita Tasting, I sipped the martinis veeery carefully.

P1020002.JPG

Pablo sings and plays the electric guitar in the Crystal Atrium

After the martini tasting and a much needed nap, I went down to the atrium for some music before dinner. ?Suzanne? had made dinner reservations for us (Barbara Jack, Judi, Sabrina, Toni and I) at the Moderno Churrascaria. We were seated at a nice table overlooking the crystal atrium where we could enjoy Pablo singing and playing below.

We were then invited over a beautiful salad bar. Even though I had heard that that the salad bar was very good and warned not to overindulge before the main course, I couldn't resist going up for seconds of soup and salad. Fortunately, Suzanne had requested that we be served the "good meats first". If she hadn't I would never have room for the delicious slices of seasoned grilled meats. I don't remember the cuts but they were tender and flavorful.

P1020006.JPG

From the salad bar. Creamy cheeses (bree? and blue), prosciutto?, different chorizos, tomato salad, corn salad, herb stuffed tomato, and remainders of a delicious seafood chowder and shrimp cevice)

P1020011x.JPG

Our friendly servers slicing some delicious hand carved meats

P1020012x.JPG

(Continued)

Day 8 - Thursday, December 20, 2012 (Continued)

Margarita tasting, Moderno Churrascaria

As the dinner progressed, Pablo ended his set and was replaced by the band "Centerfold". They were LOUD. Several of us had to cover our ears as we increasingly had to yell at each other over the dinner table to carry a conversation. After we complained to our servers, they spoke to the band who turned down the volume slightly only to slowly creep it up again until I was again sticking a finger in my ear.

As we sat covering our ears, cringing, and getting ready to evacuate Moderno, our very own Jack yelled down into the atrium in a booming voice at the end of a song "Turn down the volume... You're too d*** loud" or something close to that effect. I clearly recall the words "d*** loud". I'm pretty sure Suzanne can recall the look of shock and horror on my face which rivaled the day I returned without Ben. :p Nevertheless, we were grateful he definitively expressed our frustrations of being forced out of Moderno by the noise. As dubbed by Suzanne, Jack's our very own Cruise Critic Vacation Hero.

P1020009.JPG

Side dishes of mashed fried sweet plantain, rice, ?mashed potatoes?, and refried beans

P1020013.JPG

Tender seasoned and grilled hand carved meats

P1020017.JPG

Laurie Anne is a wonderful talented singer who loves to entertain and interact with the audience with a mix of singing, piano playing, and her beloved stage props.

P1020021.JPG

P1020025.JPG

Ben missed his very first towel monkey

Next up: Rough seas, Cagney's, sail into New York.

Day 9 - Friday, December 22, 2012 (Continued)

Rough seas, martini non-tasting, Cagney's

The next morning, I woke to some fairly rough seas. The ship was listing noticeably side to side and the more I stayed inside my cabin the queezier I got. So I headed to the Java Cafe and ordered a ginger ale to calm my stomach and looked for a quiet place to rest near some big windows. I was also determined not to eat or drink anything until my stomach calmed and I was very hungry.

P1020046.JPG

Ben's towel companions say good bye... destined to be wrangled up by the cabin steward later tonight.

P1020027.JPG

Rough seas as we head home to NY

P1020053.JPG

The ship listing to starboard

P1020057.JPG

The ship listing to port

Although I've been in MUCH rougher seas (listing 30 degrees or so on a party fishing boat on cold rainy autumn day), several hours of the Gem steadily rocking while walking through the halls or sitting indoors was enough to upset my stomach.

Erring on the safe side, I decided to spend the day looking for quiet places around the ship near windows while I watched a movie on my tablet. There was always a quiet place to be found - I spent time an hour or so in Magnums, sitting in their lounge chairs, and later found the Star Bar empty all to myself until 4 pm when a few brave sea dogs gathered for a martini tasting.

This time I heeded my better judgement I decided not to drink any martinis and instead sat at the bar with another Cruise Critic friend Annette and enjoyed her intriguing stories about life as an executive chef in Yellowknife. After the martini tasting, I spent some more quiet time Maltings and then joined my friends in Cagney's for dinner. Twelve hrs and two cans of ginger ale later, my stomach finally calmed and I was famished and ready for a steak dinner.

P1020063.JPG

Oysters Rockefeller

P1020066.JPG

Lobster bisque with a lobster flan in the center

(Continued)

Archived