planning the perfect trip to 'sell' my dad on cruising

Virga

so, backstory: I cruise(d) a lot, because it's a great cheap short vacation for Floridians. My dad's wife died this year, and I've moved home to help him with things. he isn't terribly well physically - major joint pain, muscle weakness, and fatigue, plus neuropathy in the feet. he is a proud stubborn man who mostly has just stopped doing things that make him happy because he hates needing assist devices.

I have gotten him to use a trekking pole for walking the short distances he usually requires, and he's even willing to consider a small portable wheelchair for a cruise. hallelujah!

my current worries:

bathroom: we need a bar in the shower or enough room for his seat - probably best to go with an accessible room, I think.

cabin: in the interests of making the room awesome in case even a wheelchair doesn't make it possible for him to spend a lot of time out of the cabin, I want him to have a balcony to sit on.

meals: he loves good food, but I think the dining room will be too much (too long, really) for him most nights. are there lines / cabin classes where we can pick up or order dining room meals through room service?

we're darned flexible in when we can go, but I think we're looking for a 3 or 4 night cruise to start - I know that means we're pretty limited on lines and ships, but so it goes. I'm sorta nervous about taking him for a full week, unless someone can sell ME on it =p.

anyways, anyone who has experience with this whole level of planning, I'd be grateful for both advice and reassurance =)

Room service is available to anyone on the ship...no charge for the food! Alcohol and sodas carry a cost on almost every line. However, in most cabins, there is no dining table, so eating in the stateroom isn't as pleasant as you might think.

All ships have buffets....pick what you want, stay as long or short as you want....that could be an option, too. You can bring food from the buffet to almost anywhere on the ship, if you desire.

Dinner in the dining room is usually about 1 1/2 hours....it can be shorter if you eat alone. If you have tablemates, it may take a bit longer, but it's more fun!

Just an idea that may work out for you.

Select my time dining and a table for two.

Tell the wait staff of your limits and try to get the same staff each night.

You may be able to skip some courses. A number of years ago, we knew we would be late getting back from shore and be to late for dinner. Our waiter told us to please come to the dining room and he would make it work out. He did as promised.

Depending on what you can spend, I would suggest looking in to the Owners Suites on Norwegian Cruise line, in particular the deck 10 on Dawn/Star or the same cabin or Haven cabin on Jewel/Gem/Pearl/Jade. You have a butler who will deliver room service from any of the restaurants on board (of course you still pay the extra charge for specialty restaurants), there is a dining area in the cabin, the shower is large, I believe without a lip to step over to enter and with a handhold in the shower, two balconies to choose from, and lots of extra perks. I know the fares are high, but on certain cruises it is less, repositioning to or from Alaska. You will be pumped an get the extra attention you might need.

thank you all for the advice - especially the reminder that we can always explain to our waiter that we want a quicker meal, and if we know what we want when we get there, we can make it a pretty fast dinner.Im still REALLY sold on having good meals in the room, though,.

as near as I can tell, that means we can book regular balconies on HAL and Celebrity, or suites on RCCL, NCL, and Princess. Total spent isn't really a huge issue, but value is. also, my bf and I will be booking a nearby room if there isn't a *separate* sleeping area, like in some suites.

I'll play around today looking for the cheapest options.

also, as for the scooter... I'd say he could operate it fine most of the time, but there are definitely days his hands aren't up to the task. ideally, the wheelchair would be for longer walks and the 'way home' but he'd go to the bathroom and bar and such on his own. to be honest, I'm hoping he likes that enough that we can use it to expand his activities here at home.

anyway, I really appreciate the advice - I constantly feel like I'm screwing everything up, and none of you jumped on me so I must not be doing too badly in planning this trip. =p

Archived